Remington 788 in 22/250 cal.

I've owned several. Now have .223, 22-250, .243, 7mm-08. Glass bed & change trigger to a timmney. Fast lock time! Used to be able to pick them up for $100. to $150. I had to give $375. for the last one. I have no trouble getting them to do 3 shot .250 most of the time. Buy it!

Great gun I was given one when I was 15 years old by my father as my first gun. I shot that thing at everything that moved and lots that didn't. I could hit any thing running or stopped off hand out to 300 yards. I shot it for about 15 years then I kind of move on to other things. A few years back I started shooting again and took it out to the field to see if I could still shoot it. Well I could still hit the odd thing with it but the barrel had been shot out very badly. Back when I was kid we just shot we never even thought about barrel life.
I took the gun and had it rebarreled and chambered to a 22-250 A.I. It was like having a old friend from my youth back with me it just flat out would shoot. I guess maybe I am not totally objective when it comes to a 788 22-250 but I have to say I just love that gun and after having one for close to 35 years now I would buy another in a heart beat if I had the chance. (as long my wife didn't find out).

I'm shooting one that I really want to redo to a 22-250AI but it shoots to good.
55gr rem soft points never go over .5 if I'm shooting half way decent. I haven't done the trigger yet but that is one point that could really help. The magazine limits some of my loads but if I stick to the one load everything is cool.
1-14 twist is kinda slow, 55gr is about as big as mine will shoot. I love it though. Grandpa used it to cull deer with for years and used it for years on elk, I've used it 15 years on deer and coyotes and I just can't get the barrel worn out enough to justify a new one. I say pull the trigger!gun)

Back in the day........when the 788 was a new thing and the Idaho jack rabbits were plentiful (bunny bash days) my buddy has one in 22-250.

It was a sweet shootin' machine. Super accurate, consistent ext.

It was loaded pretty hot and accounted for many jacks.

Only down side was that accuracy absolutely vanished at about 1500 rounds.

I'm confident with a little better care and some common sense regarding bullet velocities the barrel would have lasted much longer.

There is a reason that the 788 is still popular.......

Bigngreen I did my 22-250 in a A.I. and I love it. If you go that way I would be sure to go to a 1:8 twist. Up here we can use 22 cal on deer, now I am not saying the everyone or every 22 cal is ok on deer but with 80gr VLDs this gun is hitting will just over 1000ft/lb at 400 yards, In the right hands this gun is a deer killing machine. I use 75 vlds and 75 amax on coyotes and have kills over 600 yards with it. If you can range it out 800 you can hit it with this gun.
Barrel life is down a little I find that mine goes from under a 1/2" to over a 1" in between 1600 and 2000 rounds depending on how you shoot it.
I ended up getting a 223 to shoot every day to help keep the round count down on the 22-250. The 223 should get over double the rounds before it needs a new barrel. But if I really want to reach out and touch something the 22-250 A.I. comes out.

20 some years ago I started both of my sons with 788's. One in .243 amd one in 6mm. In my opinion Rem. should never have quit making them if these two rifles were indicative of all 788's accuracy. They both just flat shoot well for a off the shelf cheaper rifle. They have both moved on to bigger and better rifles now but they still have them in their gun safes and every so often they still use them. I say buy it and if you decide otherwise send me a PM and I'd be interested.

I think remington quit making them due to they hurt 700 sales. My dad bought a 308 with a scope not sure what it was for $99.00 in 1971. I think the 700's at that time was around $150.00. The 788's shot well and hell you could even have a scope for 50 bucks less. At that time $50.00 wasen't pocket change it was probably a car payment. My dad now has alshimer ( however spelled ) i have the gun and will never part with it, means so much to me is only deer rifle that he took me hunting with before i was old enough for license. What was surprising the range of calibers offered in this gun. Someone correct me but didn't they even offer it in a 30-30 also? I know of 223, 243, 22-250, and 308 was there any others?
Mike

i have had a 788 rem in 22-250 for about 30 yrs. it has always been my go-to gun for coyotes. mine is not super accurate. i bought the gun used and have no idea how many rounds it had thru it before i got it, but about 3/4 inch is all it has ever done. a buddy of mine has one that is absolutely a tack driver. he and i both have shot one hole 3 shot groups with his. i am considering re-barreling mine with a faster twist barrel, but the mag length has always stopped me from doing this. does anyone know of an aftermarket magazine that could be fitted to this gun? AJ

yes they did make one in a 30-30 but not that many of them. they also made them in 6mm and then in 44mag. the 44mag is not seen very often but supposed to be good guns. I had them in 22-250 and 6mm along with the 223 which I still have to this date. the 22-250 that I had was capable of .250 groups with horn sxp 50grain bullets of all things. shot noslers pretty well also if I remember right. I got rid of it in a swap for something else. should not have gotten rid of it. I will not get rid of the 223. the one that I have was bought new from a friend of mine who did not shoot it and had it for yrs. RG

never knew about the 44, my dads 308 close 40 years old probably dont have 40 rounds thru it. I seen a 788 yesterday at a small show in 6mm for $450.00. It had a light color stock looked like a maple, i know they did that for a while.
mike

the 6mm is a good cartridge in the 788 but does have one drawback and that is almost non existant mags for it. very hard to find and very expensive when found. also the prob with the 44 mag and 30-30. I have found and stored up several mags for my 223 because it was so long in between times when I saw them. all of a sudden there were 3 extra avail and I picked them up. there was also a 222 made in the 788 to go along with the rest. RG

I have one in .222 Remington. With 40 gr V-Max bullets, I bet it would shoot **** near one hole if I was on my best day. If I ever find any for sale, I'd buy, regardless of chambering. mtmuley

When I first got out of the military money was a little tight but I managed a 788 in 22-250....I started loading barnes x bullets and when the triple shock came around I fell in love with the combination. It shot and still shoots under 1 moa with a factory stock with no work...Albeit arguably small for deer, it has harvested more deer than any other rifle in my collection now all with one shot kills....I totally love mine and if you find one in good shape that shoots well, I think you will also....For what it's worth...

LS

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.