Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

Count me in as a Gen. II 5R believer. I purchased my .260 several months ago. It's gone through a bit of a transition since. McMillan Edge Game Hunter, Timney Calvin Elite, CDI bottom metal - AI mags, Badger Thruster brake. Probably switch out the scope for a NF 3-15x50 ATACR.

Have yet to work up any handloads for it. It showed real promise with some Copper Creek ammo loaded with 139gr. Scenars. Hated the 143 ELD-X's though. I'm going to run some factory ABM 130 & 140 VLD's, as well as Prime ammo through it this weekend.

looks great, Oli

Mine underwent a transformation as well--shot sub MOA w/ the 200gr ELD X Performance Hunter, and I'm excited to try the 215 Berger eventually.

Attachments

• 5R 300 Win Mag Burris 5-25.jpg
    5R 300 Win Mag Burris 5-25.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 125
Count me in as a Gen. II 5R believer. I purchased my .260 several months ago. It's gone through a bit of a transition since. McMillan Edge Game Hunter, Timney Calvin Elite, CDI bottom metal - AI mags, Badger Thruster brake. Probably switch out the scope for a NF 3-15x50 ATACR.

Have yet to work up any handloads for it. It showed real promise with some Copper Creek ammo loaded with 139gr. Scenars. Hated the 143 ELD-X's though. I'm going to run some factory ABM 130 & 140 VLD's, as well as Prime ammo through it this weekend.
Try the Prime factory ammo and you can save yourself a lot of time and money.

PRIME .260 REM. OTM 130GR | PRIMEAMMO.com | Shoot More, Live Better

It shoots insanely well in mine.

WildRose, have you tried any of the new Hornady loads in your 260?
No I haven't. I tried several and settled on the Prime and shot it until I'd built up quite a supply of brass.

As well as it's shot for me I'll probably continue using the prime for varmints and predators.

Once I got set up for reloading the .260 I started loading the Peregrine VRG4's and VLR's which could not have performed better on both deer and hogs including a couple of very large boars both taken with the .260's. They performed equally well for me in the .300's and 7mm STW so they've become my go to hunting bullet for everything now.

To be clear though, the Prime factory ammo is the best shooting factory ammo I've ever bought. If I were shooting any sort of competition I wouldn't hesitate to show up on "game day" with nothing but it to shoot. I'm not used to shooting dime sized groups on a regular basis but I have with both of my .260's.

To be honest I didn't even realize Hornady had started making .260 Ammo. I've shot a lot of Hornady factory ammo in a number of different calibers over the years and was always pretty happy with it so if I were you I wouldn't be afraid to give it a try. The one knock I have with the Prime is that they are only using the Target VLD bullets at least for the .260 loads because I simply won't shoot target ammo at game animals. I piled up quite a few coyotes with it over the fall and winter though!

Anybody shoot one in 6.5 yet? I was dead set on a tikka but just saw a 6.5 5R in the store for 1k.....

Mine is shooting dime sized groups with the 140gr Peregrine VLR's and RL23, winchester standard rifle primers.

I have 8lbs of RL19 I want to give a try as well. H4350 is another really good powder for the .260 used by a lot of the competition shooters. RL19 and 23 are more temp stable though so I went with them as we can get some huge swings in temps here.

Still in break-in/initial load develoment with my gen 1 5r 26" 300 wm, H1000 shooting 215 bergers. Good so far to say the least

Attachments

• group 2.jpg
    group 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.