Remington 700 Recall = I need advice.

So I called my gunsmith today and asked a few questions regarding trigger types. He said that Shilen Triggers don't fit the 700 without modification. They used to but now they don't. - Is this true?

Additionally he recommended just using a Timney. Considering that I am using it primarily for hunting would this suffice? For instance, I am probably going to set it at a 3 pound pull. Would a Timney and Jewel perform the same at this weight? (such as consistency - once set at 3 pounds it pulls at 3 pounds not 3.1 or 2.9) From what I have read the Jewel wins hands down at 2 pounds and less but not much is said above this pull weight for the Jewel.

Thoughts?

So I called my gunsmith today and asked a few questions regarding trigger types. He said that Shilen Triggers don't fit the 700 without modification. They used to but now they don't. - Is this true?

Additionally he recommended just using a Timney. Considering that I am using it primarily for hunting would this suffice? For instance, I am probably going to set it at a 3 pound pull. Would a Timney and Jewel perform the same at this weight? (such as consistency - once set at 3 pounds it pulls at 3 pounds not 3.1 or 2.9) From what I have read the Jewel wins hands down at 2 pounds and less but not much is said above this pull weight for the Jewel.

Thoughts?

You have gotten pretty sound advice -- best two options. Make your choice -- both will serve you well.

So somebody was saying online that jewel triggers were susceptible to failures due to dirt/debris over the long term. Any truth to this?
Certainly; there's truth to that. But it's true of any mechanical device, including trigger mechanisms, that aren't properly cared for. You can't fill a trigger housing with dirt and expect it to perform as designed.
As for a replacement trigger, my personal preference would be a Tiimney, not a Jewell. I have my reasons for not liking Jewell triggers - but it has nothing to do with the rumor you made reference to.

This last year I took the gun elk hunting twice (and it was rough) but she held together. I think most people would cry if they saw what I was doing with the gun while dragging an elk out whole by myself.

Learn how to field dress the animal, quarter it and get some good game bags.

As for the Remington trigger issue, I'm in a similar situation. I understand that the issue with the trigger involves the amount of fixative that was applied to seal the final adjustments. That being the case, they only need the trigger housing. I have a custom build on a Remington action that is part of the recall. I replaced that trigger with a Timney so the X-Mark Pro is just laying in a box. I will send them the trigger but they don't get the entire rifle. I'll have the action removed and send it and the trigger to them if need be, but not the whole rifle; and under those circumstances they can pay the gun smith fees for removal/ replacement of the action. Otherwise, I'll just process the trigger through the local scrap metal recycler.

I had this questions posed to me when the recall came out. My gun wasn't affected by the recall but I suggest just dropping in a Timney and be done with it. If you can get better, go better. Timney's are worth the money over a factory trigger any day so I can imagine how much better a Jewel would be over a Timney for the cost.

A few months ago, there wasn't a thing wrong with a Rem trigger other than being low budget. The videos showing early firing were poo poo'd as operator error. Issue a recall to clean them, which is all Rem is doing, and suddenly everybody is scared to death.

I feel totally fine with the x-mark pro. The recall just made it sound like it was gummed up a bit or something. I was going to upgrade my trigger eventually so it just gave me an excuse. Remington has come a long ways and changed things so I believe the old concerns are a non-issue.

A few months ago, there wasn't a thing wrong with a Rem trigger other than being low budget. The videos showing early firing were poo poo'd as operator error. Issue a recall to clean them, which is all Rem is doing, and suddenly everybody is scared to death.

THANK YOU!!!!! I'm glad to see someone else without wool over their eyes.

The OP went elk hunting twice and says he is hard on his equipment to the point of being worried? And he drug an elk out of the woods whole? Wow! mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.