I Need Advice! Weather by Vanguard S2

The Vanguard is probably one of the best off the shelf rifles for the money, They are well made, fit and finish are very good and accuracy is also very good. The only downside that I can find is the metric barrel to action threads. (If you ever want to change barrels, Most smiths don't want to mess with them).

The recoil question= A typical 30/06 has from 21 ft/lbs to 25 ft/lbs depending on the rifle weight.

The 308 will run from 15 to 18 ft/lbs depending on rifle weight.

The 308 is a very capable hunting rifle well beyond your posted needs, and the 30/06 will jump
the distance 1 to 200 yards more.

J E CUSTOM

The Vanguard is probably one of the best off the shelf rifles for the money, They are well made, fit and finish are very good and accuracy is also very good. The only downside that I can find is the metric barrel to action threads. (If you ever want to change barrels, Most smiths don't want to mess with them).

The recoil question= A typical 30/06 has from 21 ft/lbs to 25 ft/lbs depending on the rifle weight.

The 308 will run from 15 to 18 ft/lbs depending on rifle weight.

The 308 is a very capable hunting rifle well beyond your posted needs, and the 30/06 will jump
the distance 1 to 200 yards more.

J E CUSTOM

It's true that a lot of smiths don't like to deal with them. That said, both the smiths I've used recently for projects convert the metric threads to standard. Not really a problem, so I'm not sure why other smiths don't do the same?

I talked to one local guy and he wouldn't do it because of the metric threads. So another guy nearby got the business and did a great job.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.