Weatherby Vanguard S2 Accuracy

Tsimpsonaz

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 that I bought new 2 years ago. The only mod I have done to the rifle is installed a custom muzzle break and added Nightforce SHV scope.

We built custom hand loads for it, using fire formed brass, that was trimmed and neck turned as needed. After doing load development we ended up with Nosler brass, Federal 215 Primers, IMR-4350 and Berger VLD 168g bullets. We went with the 168g because that's actually what Weatherby recommended for this rifle but I would really like a heavier round in it.

The best results I achieved was right at sub moa at 100 yards.

The last two times at the range, the pattern started opening up so it's a little worse than it was. I am trying to get this rifle setup for long range hunting up to 1000 yards so I'm not happy with the results.

We are considering trying a new load again and this time would like to try a heaver bullet like a 208 or 210gr and maybe switching to Lapua brass.

I'm wondering if anyone has had good or bad experience getting a good, reliable long range load for this rifle. Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed. I'm not sure if this rifle just won't do what I want or if I should just go with another rifle.

Thanks

I have the regular Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. It wouldnt shoot better than a inch until I free floated the barrel. I just went ahead and got a Boyds stock for it and pillar bedded it making sure it was free floated. Then I got it to about 3/4". I added a Witt machine clamp on brake and boom!! It became a consistent 5/8s to 1/2" gun. I think between the reduction in recoil and the brake taming down the harmonics in the pencil barrel made all the difference....

I have the regular Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. It wouldnt shoot better than a inch until I free floated the barrel. I just went ahead and got a Boyds stock for it and pillar bedded it making sure it was free floated. Then I got it to about 3/4". I added a Witt machine clamp on brake and boom!! It became a consistent 5/8s to 1/2" gun. I think between the reduction in recoil and the brake taming down the harmonics in the pencil barrel made all the difference....

Could you tell me what ammo you are shooting?

I have one in 7mm08 and it shoots consistantly +- and inch, but I've never gotten a sub 3/4" or better. 3 months old in the grey/black stock.

Tag.

Very interested in buying a Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard in the near future, so I am enjoying the helpful information on this thread. Thanks!

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 that I bought new 2 years ago. The only mod I have done to the rifle is installed a custom muzzle break and added Nightforce SHV scope.

We built custom hand loads for it, using fire formed brass, that was trimmed and neck turned as needed. After doing load development we ended up with Nosler brass, Federal 215 Primers, IMR-4350 and Berger VLD 168g bullets. We went with the 168g because that's actually what Weatherby recommended for this rifle but I would really like a heavier round in it.

The best results I achieved was right at sub moa at 100 yards.

The last two times at the range, the pattern started opening up so it's a little worse than it was. I am trying to get this rifle setup for long range hunting up to 1000 yards so I'm not happy with the results.

We are considering trying a new load again and this time would like to try a heaver bullet like a 208 or 210gr and maybe switching to Lapua brass.

I'm wondering if anyone has had good or bad experience getting a good, reliable long range load for this rifle. Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed. I'm not sure if this rifle just won't do what I want or if I should just go with another rifle.

Thanks

I would give H1000 powder a try start at approx 87

I would go with something heavier, like the ones you stated.
For three reasons, more weight and energy on target, higher BC and last but not least, the longer bearing surface helps with the long throat of the Weatherby spec cartridges..

My experience is with the Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Here is the bottom line: Hornady factory ammo with 129 gr SSTs shot like garbage. Off bags or bipod, it didn't matter: literally all over the place (we're talking 5-6 moa or worse under perfect conditions).

Weatherby tested the rifle and shot two, 3-shot groups: 0.20" and 0.51" at 100 yards with Hornady factory 140 gr Amaxs.

After getting my rifle back, I shot 1-2 moa groups in mediocre conditions with Hornady factory ammo with 140 gr ELDs. As long as I kept the rest consistent. As soon as I went from bags to bipod, my POI dropped 3.50" @ 100 yards. The lower groups off the bipod were still 1 moa, but unacceptably low when compared to shooting off bags.

My conclusion: if you're wanting the Vanguard S2 to hunt, you'd better replace the stock. I am still trying to figure out who makes a good stock that allows the barrel to float. I know the action/barrel is capable of great accuracy, but Weatherby's continued practice of selling the rifle with a stock that touches the barrel seems silly. I do not deny that this rifle is capable of shooting sub-moa straight out of the box. Please no one misunderstand me. The problem comes when you attempt to shoot off bags, then a bipod, then shooting sticks, etc. Some may still have a consistent rifle, but I don't.

Last edited:
I am still trying to figure out who makes a good stock that allows the barrel to float.

Any of them.

I've used both B&C Medalist stocks as well as Stocky's thumbhole stocks. I bed them, and once all is good I sand out the pads in the barrel channel. It works like a charm every time. While bedding with the pads in place sometimes helps to keep the barrel at the right level, I don't always end up using them for this. In any event, they're soon gone with a bit of sandpaper and a dowel.

All of my Vanguards except a 223 stainless Sub-MOA (came in B&C stock) are bedded and free floated.

Any of them.

I've used both B&C Medalist stocks as well as Stocky's thumbhole stocks. I bed them, and once all is good I sand out the pads in the barrel channel. It works like a charm every time. While bedding with the pads in place sometimes helps to keep the barrel at the right level, I don't always end up using them for this. In any event, they're soon gone with a bit of sandpaper and a dowel.

All of my Vanguards except a 223 stainless Sub-MOA (came in B&C stock) are bedded and free floated.

I just ordered 2 B&C Medalist stocks from Stocky's both were on backorder and to my house in 5 weeks. For the money there hard to beat generally best with a little bedding work.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts