Freefloating a Weatherby Vanguard S2

motown

Recently picked up a Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Im thinking about replacing the factory stock with a B&C Medalist and was wondering if free floating the barrel would hurt anything accuracy wise since weatherby recommends some foreend pressure? Has anybody done this with an S2 and what was your accuracy like before and after floating? Also do B&C Vanguard stocks come with a pressure point?

Last edited:
I free floated mine in the B&C stock and it worked out great, others have had bad luck. Yes the B&C has the pressure pad, one thing for certain you can always replace the pressure pad if needed just measure it's height for reference before you grind it down.

I usually leave the pressure pads in place until after I have bedded the action. Once that is done and I'm sure all is well I use a Dremel and remove the pads. Works great.

I did not use a B&C stock but I went through the process.

Tupperware stock: miniscule improvement to float.
Boyds: very acceptable.

As has been said you can put it back of course you can try before removal.

Good luck.

Mo, like Dr. Vette said, shoot it both ways in the B & C, if it is better with the bump replace it. Never bedded a Vanguard that didn't shoot better free floated. You will like the B & C stock. Good luck

Never did an S2 But did do an S1. I started out with the Tupper Ware stock and up graded to a B&C Medalist. The rifle was just at 1.5" in the Tupper Ware and dropped to MOA in the B&C. So I decided too experiment a little and grind of the pressure points in stages and shoot with each stage to see the results. As the pressure decreased the groups got smaller. I completely removed the pressure point and the rifle will shoot .75" groups with 180gr Bullets. Probably the best thing I could have done to increase accuracy in this rifle besides putting a Timney trigger in it which also helped.
It's a trial and error process so go slow. The stock alone will make a difference.

I have a S1 that wouldn't group consistently so I had the barrel floated and bedded the recoil lug and now it's a tack driver with the factory stock. Wouldn't spend the money on a B&C with this improvement. It's cheap to try yourself and if it doesn't meet expectations, then go B&C.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.