Weatherby Vanguard S2 Accuracy

I ended up ordering the following stock directly from B&C. It is made for a "heavy barrel" though I am just going to have plenty of clearance with my stock sporter barrel. Can't wait to see what happens :D

I ended up ordering the following stock directly from B&C. It is made for a "heavy barrel" though I am just going to have plenty of clearance with my stock sporter barrel. Can't wait to see what happens :D

Buying a bull barrel channeled stock sounds like a good excuse to blueprint the action, and hang a Rem Varmint contoured Bartlein on it...Then you WILL have a shooter. :cool:

Buying a bull barrel channeled stock sounds like a good excuse to blueprint the action, and hang a Rem Varmint contoured Bartlein on it...Then you WILL have a shooter. :cool:

Perhaps I would!

The stock came directly from B&C and I must say I was impressed by the stock. Unfortunately, my range time didn't go quite as well as I hoped. It shot 1.75" @ 102 yards (5 shots). I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

If the Vanguard S2s needs the factory (or aftermarket) stock with "pressure points" to attain their highest accuracy (and perhaps they do) then count me out. That kind of a setup is going to be prone to variation depending on what kind of rest you're using. That may work for a shooter who is only ever using one setup off a bench, but for someone who is hunting? With my factory stock my POI would change 3.5 MOA just going from bags to bipod. I am sure MudRunner's suggestion would change the equation on this too, but my patience is thin after burning $150 in ammo chasing the accuracy problems.

I think I am going to ditch my Vanguard S2 in favor of the Legendary Arms Professional that I finally got out yesterday. Right out of the box I shot 0.75" and 1.0" five shot groups with factory ammunition. Now on to load development for that rifle!

I have 2 of the S2's currently. One is in the original Grey/grey stock configuration in a 7mm/08 and the other is a 243 in one of the Kryptek-style camo patterns.
The 7mm/08 puts 5 of the 140 gr NBT's inside .75" and holds that group out to 400 (farthest I've taken it). This AFTER I sanded out the barrel-bump.
The 243 (again, after bump removal) puts 5 90 NAB's inside of .5" at 100 and I have a 4 shot group at 500 that's about 2".
I picked up a Howa 1500 in 308 for a song and have only played with it at 100 yards. 5-shots inside .6 and I haven't done a thing to it other than change out the scope and check the screws for torque.

The 243 took a doe at 453 this year with a single shot. She never knew what hit her.

I have 2 of the S2's currently. One is in the original Grey/grey stock configuration in a 7mm/08 and the other is a 243 in one of the Kryptek-style camo patterns.
The 7mm/08 puts 5 of the 140 gr NBT's inside .75" and holds that group out to 400 (farthest I've taken it). This AFTER I sanded out the barrel-bump.
The 243 (again, after bump removal) puts 5 90 NAB's inside of .5" at 100 and I have a 4 shot group at 500 that's about 2".
I picked up a Howa 1500 in 308 for a song and have only played with it at 100 yards. 5-shots inside .6 and I haven't done a thing to it other than change out the scope and check the screws for torque.

The 243 took a doe at 453 this year with a single shot. She never knew what hit her.

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a B&C stock from one of the guys on this forum. He just finished bedding it for me as well. I can't wait to get it out to the range to see how it does. :)

i shoot that rifle in a 270 wsm on the low end 130 gr nosler balistic tip tight group out to 400 yards...for 500 yards to 700 i shoot the woodleigh 150 gr pp sn and on days bucking the wind shoot the woodleigh 180 gr pp sn and even a good mention of the berger 170 gr elitehunter...i realize this is not in the caliber you mentioned...but the rifle is the same brand and shoots well, original triger set at 2.5 lbs...the rifle will reach out and touch the antelope and mule deer

Perhaps I would!

The stock came directly from B&C and I must say I was impressed by the stock. Unfortunately, my range time didn't go quite as well as I hoped. It shot 1.75" @ 102 yards (5 shots). I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

Bed it.

I free float and bed all of my Vanguards, and they shoot very well. I'm currently doing it again with a Vanguard that arrived here last week. This one is going into a Stocky's thumbhole for Dad.

Grab the forend tip and barrel where they meet. Then loosen the front action screw, and feel for movement where the barrel and forend meet. That will answer your question...

Bed it.

I free float and bed all of my Vanguards, and they shoot very well. I'm currently doing it again with a Vanguard that arrived here last week. This one is going into a Stocky's thumbhole for Dad.

Dr. Vette,

Thanks for the advice. I've never bedded a rifle before. I've watched several videos on it and read some how-to's and it doesn't seem terribly difficult. That said, any tips? Anything specific to the Vanguard S2?

By the way, I may be headed your direction this fall to start seminary in Grand Rapids. Thanks for the help!

Paul in Boise

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.