I Need Advice! Weather by Vanguard S2

Jwmess

Howdy everyone, thank you for taking a look at my post. Basically I jus want some advice and am stuck deciding which gun to buy. I am looking for a long range rifle that I can use for hunting and target shooting. I would like it to be able to reach out to long ranges of about 400+ yards and also be very accurate. I have been thinking about the Weatherby Vanguard S2. I would like opinions on this gun and also I am stuck in between deciding calibers. I was thinking either .308 or 30-06. I would also like opinions on which caliber to go with. I can get a vanguard in 30-06 for cheaper than the .308 but I have heard a lot of good stuff about the .308. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I have an S-2 in 25-06 that im very happy with. The trigger is crisp at 3lbs, stock is nicley fitted. Mine shoots two different factory loads to a little over MOA @100 yds.
If it were me I would get the 308 instead of the 06......E

Thanks to all of you guys for the quick replies. I guess what I'm wondering now is why I should choose one caliber over the other. My dad owns a 30-06 and I have shot that plenty of times but I have never shot a .308. How do they compare and why should I choose one over the other? Is there any advantages to one or the other? Thanks again.

I like both cartridges and have owned a couple or so in each but have never owned a Vanguard S2. I have been around one my S-I-L was shooting when working up a load for a friend of a friend and it was fairly accurate with a certain hand load. Both cartridges will reach out and touch things at the range you are wanting to shoot but the 30/06 will carry more down range energy and shoot flatter than the 308Win. I have shot small steel pigs with the 308 at 500 meters/555 yds. and have shot deer at 600+ yrds. with the 06. I really think it is more what you like and get used to shooting. I really like short action cartridges but have owned many different caliber rifles from 22-250 up to 338RUM including several belted magnums. For the most part they all worked very well. Find the rifle that fits you and your needs and shoot it.

And how do the recoils compare to eachother? Are they pretty similar?

Ya they are pretty similiar I'd say. I'm not to recoil sensitive so can't really tell the difference between the two but jumping up from a .308 to an '06 isn't that bad. The '06 will kick a little bit more but nothing super noticeable like going from a .308 to a .300 Winchester Mag.

Well, I don't shoot the same weight bullets in both cartridges so its kind of hard to know exactly, but I think the 06 with 180 grain bullets will kick about as hard as any non-magnum rifle I know of. When shooting during hunting I don't even notice whether the rifle recoils at all but off a target bench the 308 is much more tolerable.

Well, I don't shoot the same weight bullets in both cartridges so its kind of hard to know exactly, but I think the 06 with 180 grain bullets will kick about as hard as any non-magnum rifle I know of. When shooting during hunting I don't even notice whether the rifle recoils at all but off a target bench the 308 is much more tolerable.

With 180s you can tell, but if both are loaded with 165s there's not much more recoil difference in my opinion. Should have mentioned 180s in my other post.

So could everyone conclude that I can't go wrong with either cartridge that I choose? And also that the Weatherby Vanguard s2 is a good accurate rifle for the price?

So could everyone conclude that I can't go wrong with either cartridge that I choose? And also that the Weatherby Vanguard s2 is a good accurate rifle for the price?

Ya can't go wrong with either chambering. Don't have any experience with the Vanguard S2s but know the standard Vanguards don't shoot to bad.

That pretty much sums it up. If and when you get one, sand down the pressure point in the fore end of the stock to free float the barrel. There are no guarantees with factory sporter rifles but the Vanguards have a very good track record for good accuracy. I would recommend eventually upgrading the stock to a B&C Medalist and bed it in.

The 30-06 is going to be a little more versatile than the .308 You can load it up or down. RL17 does well in both cartridges. Get yourself some Lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.