I need some advice ASAP

trailhunter

I bought a browning A-bolt with the boss last year and a Zeiss Conquest scope. I absolutely love this gun, but im having trouble with ammo. I bought Winchester super x power point cxp2 150gr because it was cheap to tune in the Boss, wich by the way works like a hot **** with this ammo and this gun. Best grouping i have seen personally from any rifle. I then changed to a balistic silver tip for hunting (twice the price) Now it shoots all over the board. Ive tried dialing the boss in for the silver tip. The gun just doesn't seem to like the ammo. I went back to the powerpoint and im back to the 1ch group at 200yards. What do you guys think of this ammo? Im a novice and i don't really know much. Should this work for deer or should i go on to something else?

Any advice would be great

It would help to know what cartidge your shooting. White tail are pretty easy to kill so I would reccomend using what is accurate and learn the tradjectory for it. However, I would agree that a heavier bullet is better at longer ranges in any caliber. Some rifles just won't shoot certain ammo. You may have good luck trying a heavier BCT (If it is 30 cal) If it is a smaller cal, try a slightly lighter one. My 300 didn't shoot 165 (tried Swift, Hornady, and Nosler) good at all, but I am getting very good results with the 180's (nosler) and 110 vmax's (varmint).

I have a 325 a bolt that loves 200gr. Nosler Accubond's. When shooting Winchester brand ammo I can only manage about a 3" grouping. Tried some Double Tap Ammunition and am now getting 1" groups and the cost savings is about 20.00 less a box for the Double Tap.

trailhunter,
Obviously you're pleased with the grouping of your rifle and this ammo. Unfortunately, not all ammo, whether factory or reloads, will shoot 1/2" groups. Shooting a rifle/ammo combo that groups well builds your ego and will give you confidence in yourself and your rifle. I think the power point is a good hunting bullet. I personally don't use Winchester factory ammo, but I have a cousin back home that does and he has no problem gettiing his deer. Good luck and lay 'em down. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.