Need some advice

Ian M

THIS IS NOT LONG-RANGE RELATED, BUT I SURE COULD USE SOME HELP.
I have a bunch of nice shiny 110 grain .30 cal bullets that I want to shoot in a .308 Win. for practicing with the moving target system. I looked up .308 WIn and 110 gr. in a manual and it indicated a snoot-full of Varget might be OK. Went right up to 50.0 grains and got "minute of 4by8-sheet of plywood" groups. Not sure if they all hit the backstop.
Any ideas how to make 110 gr. bullets shoot reasonably accurately from the mighty .308 Win.??? Have never shot these little suckers before so don't know which other powder to try.

I tried some once and got similar results to yours. Not sure why the accuracy was so poor, but I ain't going to waste the powder trying again.

Ian,

According to my Hodgdon book, for 110 grain bullets, you can use:

BL-C(2)
H335
H4895
H322
H4198

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

Ian,

If you're using an autoloader I wouldn't know what to tell you as you would have to conform to certain pressure curve parameters to function the action properly. If it's something else my first guess is that they're way too fast and perhaps are coming apart due to excessive rotational speed. This would of course depend on your twist and the bullet you're using. Try using the lower end of the recommended powder charge, or if you have the time, about 2/3 of the recommended MAX charge for any data you have for powders in the burn rate range of IMR4895 or faster. Hodgdon recently released reduced load data for h4895 and theis approach usually results in very accurate plinking ammo. Luck....

Ian,
I shoot the same bullet in my Savage 10P over 52 grains of W748 for a velocity of 3140 fps with an ES of 16. Groups typically run around 1/2" or better. If I remember right the Savage has a 1 in 10 twist.
Don't know if this helps any.

Ian,

Here's a load I've used with 110gr Speer Varminters:

16gr Green Dot
CCI 250 primer
Avg vel: 2040fps
ES: 11fps
Accuracy 2" at 100 yards

Inspection of spent case/primer indicates low pressure. Performance roughly equivalent to a 30 M1 carbine. Hope this helps.

MM

Chris,
Shot the little roundnoses again today, tried 4895 with reduced loads (42-45) as suggested in the Hodgdon book. No such thing as groups, lucky to keep three or four shots on the 4' by 2' piece of plywood.
Will call the guys who make the bullets and see if they have any loads. Don't have any 748 and somehow doubt that these suckers will shoot in this rifle. By the way, these are not swaged jacketed bullets, they are electroplated. Uniform weights and dimensions, they look very nice. Don't seem to copper foul at all.
Might have to buy a slingshot, I've got a thousand of these slugs.
Hope school is going well and that I can meet you at George's some day. Not sure, did you see the Gun World article on GA?
By the way, do you know what GA stands for in the company name GA-Precision?

Ian,
My apologies- I am shooting the Sierra 110gr HP and getting those groups. Try them maybe they'll shoot better than the Speer's.
School is going well- I am maintaining a 3.9 to 4.0 GPA. Finished my wife's 243 last week and will finish her Lapua in the morning. Graduate the 20th of Dec.
Will be at George's the 16/17 of Nov. to chamber up my Lapua. The school's lathes wont handle my long barrel.
I met his wife about two months ago and since her name doesn't start with an "A" I finally asked him what GA stands for as I assumed it was their initials. I think he nearly had a coronary laughing. It took him about five minutes to tell me it stood for "Gnat's ***" Only George would come up with that!!!
Yeh, I caught the article but you left out one thing-ME!!!
wink.gif
Other than that it was really good and will be good for GA.
I am sure you know Marty (Ba. Ord.) is also a big wig at CZ-USA- well thanks to George and Marty my wife now has an excellent job with CZ.
If I don't see you at GA, I'll see you at the SHOT show if your're going.
Chris

Ian, I would suggest you go with a much slower vel. load. That load using Green dot may be a good choice.

I have used those electroplated bullets before in handguns. Basically a cast bullet with a few thous of copper. No where near as tough as a jacketed bullet.

At the high vel of the loads you have been trying, the bullet is pulling itself apart. This bullet was designed for the 30 carbine so if you keep vel in that range you should be ok.

Try cast bullet loads using IMR SR 4759 or the AA equivalent. Probably work best with vel. under 2000fps. H4227, Unique, Re7, HP38/Win231, H4198 are all possibilities too.

Been playing with some cowboy cast bullets in my 308 and have been getting some pretty good results at 100yds (2" groups). Fun to plink with these at "long range".

Good luck...

Jerry

Ian,

like Chris M said Try some W748. I use it in lighter bullets for the 308 win works well. faster the better out of my gun. little bullets can be pretty accurate at normal ranges under 300yds.

Thanks for the direction, I will obviously have to get some Green Dot and/or 748 so that I can use these bullets up. Pretty neat experience shooting at the target at 100 yards with a virtually non-recoiling load and not even hitting the backboard - Varget let me down!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts