Remington 700 Recall = I need advice.

shuag

Suffice it to say the gun I have is directly affected by the Remington 700 Recall.

Remington Recall

Here's what is going on for me:

So I purchased a Remington 700 and put a ton of money in it. My build is here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/my-way-give-back-forum-119116/

I used this forum heavily for the build. However I don't post much - only when I know I need help.

Suffice it to say that I have NO desire to send this gun through the postal service. Wife says that I am not allowed to shoot the gun and I agree. BUT, she did say that I can go get a new trigger and just ditch the old one. My questions are:

1. Will installing a new trigger get rid of the recall issue???? Remington is very elusive about what the real problem is. All I could find is that the issue involves some sort of bonding issue on the firing mechanism/trigger somewhere. Can anyone else shed some light on this?

2. What triggers are recommended? I've heard Timney and Jewel. Others that are good? I am looking for first hand accounts if available.

3. Does anyone recommend replacing the trigger yourself? I've watched some videos and this seems easy enough but I just don't want to do this if it can be an error prone process. My background is a bachelors and masters in Mechanical Engineering so I am a hands on kind of guy.

I apologize ahead of time if this has been posted somewhere else in the forum. I am just frustrated with Remington right now. But happy that I get to increase the accuracy of my gun build.

I wouldn't send that rifle no where just get a Jewell rem is saying its the trigger not the bolt and with your degrees you can install it yourself its a matter of punching a couple pins out but adjusting is another matter with your education it definitely possible but I'm not going to advise anyone that has never done it just because if something happens I don't want any flak about it . I'll probably get some flak about my response anyway lol.

Drop in a jewell and google adjusting the trigger. Darrel holland has a good video on adjusting it on you tube. Also buy a trigger pull scale. Its not rocket science you just have to be super sure it will not bump fire.

So somebody was saying online that jewel triggers were susceptible to failures due to dirt/debris over the long term. Any truth to this?

I imagine that most triggers would do that if enough junk were in them. I just would prefer one that would fail "later" rather than "sooner" if that is the case.

Nonetheless I am pretty hard on equipment. This last year I took the gun elk hunting twice (and it was rough) but she held together. I think most people would cry if they saw what I was doing with the gun while dragging an elk out whole by myself.

I guess what I am trying to say is I want equipment that will last the long term.

I have several Jewell triggers; never had a problem with any of them. Clean them with lighter fluid occasionally. For a hunting rifle, the Timmney would work fine. BTW - any alteration of the rifle relieves Remington of negligence.

So somebody was saying online that jewel triggers were susceptible to failures due to dirt/debris over the long term. Any truth to this?

I imagine that most triggers would do that if enough junk were in them. I just would prefer one that would fail "later" rather than "sooner" if that is the case.

Nonetheless I am pretty hard on equipment. This last year I took the gun elk hunting twice (and it was rough) but she held together. I think most people would cry if they saw what I was doing with the gun while dragging an elk out whole by myself.

I guess what I am trying to say is I want equipment that will last the long term.

The people saying that are the ones that bought Timney.......:D

Jewel...have one one my rem 700 308 win. Hunted with it in dry spots in texas and humid swamps in ga. it hasn't failed me. I clean the rifle every 100 rounds or so as well. It's also set at 12 ounces!

That's just some supporter internet BS... Jewell triggers are the best on the market. It was probably someone who was just mad that they couldn't afford a Jewell, or someone with a Jewell out-shot them at the range. :D

I have several Jewell's...They're great triggers.

I have three rifles in the recall.From what I've read about the recall is,some triggers may have received an excessive amount of bonding agent used to lock the adjustment screws on the X-Pro triggers.I've heard a lot of complaints about these triggers being really lousy and if you have one like that,by all means,send it in.The rifles I have seem to have excellent triggers and I don't think I'm going to send mine in.I've been able to set them down to around 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 lbs and they consistently break like glass everytime.I do have one that I bought used for a backup.I may call Remington and see if I can get them to check it out.

I purchased a used 300 winmag last year that is part of the recall. Don't think I am going to ship my rifle to remington. If I did that I would have to take the rifle out of the aftermarket stock and remove the scope before I shipped the barrel and action. If it is only the trigger that is the problem I would be open to shipping the trigger assembly only back to remington to be fixed/ replaced.

Absent that I will spring for a rifle basix or timney trigger. Taking the scope off and then having to resight the rifle means buring ammo = remington would have to cover that cost as well.

Jewel triggers are indeed a jewel. However, as you noted it does happen as Murphy does not discriminate.

Do as Gene recommended and you're golden. IIRC, the lighter fluid deal is part of the maintenance instruction (??? but not sure).

I have several Jewell triggers; never had a problem with any of them. Clean them with lighter fluid occasionally. For a hunting rifle, the Timmney would work fine. BTW - any alteration of the rifle relieves Remington of negligence.

If you do a custom search, you'll see some LRH with similar problem noted.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.