Remington 700 3006 rebarrel (what other calibers?)

I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!

As others have mentioned your choices are endless and the reality is inside of 350 yards it hardly matters what caliber you choose if you do your part.

Do you handload ? if not stick to standard cartridges that have reasonably priced and readily available factory ammo ie- your 30-06, 270 win, 6.5CM

If you handload well the skys the limit, two of my favourite cartridges are the 6.5-284 and the 280AI and both have some factory ammo available.

If your into the Wildcat thing Sherman cartridges are among the best, just do your research on availability and component prices for wildcats.

As far as barrel contours go I would recommend a #2 Benchmark Contour or equivalent contour of your brand choice of barrel, it will fit perfect for your existing stock.

I am using my 25-06 this coming Wednesday to hunt our Fallow and Sambar deer.
We don't have seasons here, as long as we have a Game License we can shoot all year round.
Anyway, I will post up a thread on how I go with my 'little' 25-06 and 110gr Accubond.
This is one of the best rounds based off the '06 case.
Shoot FLAT!!

Cheers.

For the chambering, I've always liked the idea of the 280 AI. It's a great combo of performance and simplicity.

Unlike some, I think the B&C stocks are very functional and I've actually used a couple on full custom builds. I don't know that I've ever had a gun which was held back in the accuracy department because of stock. I've had a lot of factory rifles in factory tuperware stocks that shot .5 MOA or better, even off of a bipod. You can easily modify your B&C stock to accept a barrel nut and a larger profile barrel if that's what you wanted to do. Basically, if you like your stock just keep it.

Quick side note, have you tried upward pressure on your barrel at the forend tip to help with your groups? Most lightweight barrels I've had shot best with upward pressure or full length bedding the barrel. It's an easy test, just stuff some card stock (or business cards) between the very tip of the forend and the barrel then fire a couple groups. It can make a huge difference and it only takes a couple minutes to do.

Well, a 30-06 and a Barnes 130 TTSX will give a .264 WinMag/140 a "run for its money"! I was amazed at how close they run out to 400yds. Beyond, of course, the differences begin to show. A 30-06 with a 200 Nosler is a pretty awesome big hog killer, I do know that! :)
That isn't remotely true.

The BC is so low on the 130gr .30 cals they aren't even in the same world ballistically.

To have even a relatively accurate comparison you'd have to go down to 100-110gr 6.5's in the .264 which would embarrass the 06 for muzzle velocity.

I am using my 25-06 this coming Wednesday to hunt our Fallow and Sambar deer.
We don't have seasons here, as long as we have a Game License we can shoot all year round.
Anyway, I will post up a thread on how I go with my 'little' 25-06 and 110gr Accubond.
This is one of the best rounds based off the '06 case.
Shoot FLAT!!

Cheers.
The problem the 25-06 has in the US and pretty well always had is that it's on the border between a good varmint caliber and a good medium game caliber.

I shot it for a decade and loved it but there were just better choices available.

Now that the 6.5's have gained so much market share in the US it's likely to end up soon being reserved to a small niche of die hards that just won't give up on it.

It does what it was designed for well, mostly shooting coyotes and light bodied deer and antelope.

There are just a whole plethora of rounds on the market today that do either or both jobs better and have much more appeal to the modern shooter.

The BC is so low on the 130gr .30 cals they aren't even in the same world ballistically.

To have even a relatively accurate comparison you'd have to go down to 100-110gr 6.5's in the .264 which would embarrass the 06 for muzzle velocity.

I am comparing a 130/'06 load going 3300 with a factory .264 winMag/140 going "maybe 3000". To "me" they are so close at 350yds not to matter. Again, I'm not comparing the '06 to a "properly loaded" .264WM. Its been my observation that "under 400yds", B.C. just isn't a huge factor. For the OPs 350yd range, he wouldn't hurt his chances with a 130/3300fps '06 load is my only point. :)

I am comparing a 130/'06 load going 3300 with a factory .264 winMag/140 going "maybe 3000". To "me" they are so close at 350yds not to matter. Again, I'm not comparing the '06 to a "properly loaded" .264WM. Its been my observation that "under 400yds", B.C. just isn't a huge factor. For the OPs 350yd range, he wouldn't hurt his chances with a 130/3300fps '06 load is my only point. :)
I did a JBM drop table on both going around 3100 fps. The drop was about 4 inches difference at 400 yards and 3.5 inches at 350 yards. So really not that big of a difference for the OP's range limitations.

Thanks Pard, that's what I mean by "run for its money". While not the "same" it is so close as to be "similar". :) I've even had some great results with the Nosler 125BT/3100 for a friends '06. He never shot past about 300yds, but he was shooting rock chucks...definitely "minute of deer", ha. Ph yeah, it opened them up like a suitcase! :)

I did a JBM drop table on both going around 3100 fps. The drop was about 4 inches difference at 400 yards and 3.5 inches at 350 yards. So really not that big of a difference for the OP's range limitations.

Thanks Pard, that's what I mean by "run for its money". While not the "same" it is so close as to be "similar". :) I've even had some great results with the Nosler 125BT/3100 for a friends '06. He never shot past about 300yds, but he was shooting rock chucks...definitely "minute of deer", ha. Ph yeah, it opened them up like a suitcase! :)

I get what you are saying about the drop, but that is the only place that it even begins to compare. Wind deflection is basically double, impact velocity/energy will be several hundred more in favor of the 264 (which plays into bullet/terminal performance). Not saying the 130/30-06 load is a bad idea, just not a fair comparison.
And yeah those 125 BTs are nasty on small critters at that range!

The problem the 25-06 has in the US and pretty well always had is that it's on the border between a good varmint caliber and a good medium game caliber.

I shot it for a decade and loved it but there were just better choices available.

Now that the 6.5's have gained so much market share in the US it's likely to end up soon being reserved to a small niche of die hards that just won't give up on it.

It does what it was designed for well, mostly shooting coyotes and light bodied deer and antelope.

There are just a whole plethora of rounds on the market today that do either or both jobs better and have much more appeal to the modern shooter.
This is where we disagree.

The 25-06 is a medium to large game cartridge that CAN double as a varmint round.
I see the varmint/medium light game rounds start and finish at .243/6mm. This is one cal I will ALWAYS skip over and have zero interest in. Seen too many deer wounded by these, and honestly think they are suited to pigs or goats as being the biggest things they should be used on, but that is only MY OPINION.
Comparing 25 cal to 6.5 is really splitting hairs, I have both cals, the 25-06 outperforms my 6.5x47, even when comparing a 115/120gr against a 125gr, is about equal to my 6.5-284 with 115gr against a 140gr and almost competes with my 264WM with 140's, the 264 pushes a 140 at a bit over 3230fps, the 25-06 pushes a 115gr a bit over 3200fps as well.
Neither cal kills any quicker than the other and I can't 'see' a difference in impact between the 2, dead is dead.

As the old saying goes, it's NOT WHAT you hit them with, it's WHERE you hit them that counts.

Cheers.

As the old saying goes, it's NOT WHAT you hit them with, it's WHERE you hit them that counts.

Cheers.

Agreed. Thats why the .243 cal is more then capable of killing deer. Even out to longer ranges.

Besides even shooting a 95 grain pill out of the .243 win you will still have 2300fps and 100 ftlbs @ 400 yards @sea level and 30F... Thats leaving the muzzle @3100 and thats not as fast as you can send them.

Now step up to a 115 and a 6mm06 and that gets you around 2000fps and 1000ftlbs @800 yards at sea level and 30F...

Edit. Even the 115 out of a .243 win @2950 will still be around 2000fps and 1000ftlbs @600 yards in the same conditions.

All this is informative for sure, my dad started us all on 22-250 with 55 gr. pills over some weight of IMR4064 for muley and speedboats, worked fine for 400 and less.
When we were all 12-14, we(kids) packed a 6mmRem for elk, I was larger framed and packed a 270 when 14. That was well before the long range rage.
I've killed many elk with .243 bullets and .257 cal. as well. To step up and class a particular cartridge is asinine at best. Crap, I've seen a .17HMR(.17x.22mag.improved)do things most would never believe.
25-06 and varmint type bullets for coyotes is great for bucking the wind. MNy times anything under 350-400 yards and the time spent sewing hides for the fur buyers isn't worth it, but I wouldn't hunt a field mouse with a .22lr, either.
Some folks act like the 6.5 Creed would have replaced the 7x57 for African elephants......hahaha

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts