Remington 700 rebarrel...who to send to?

Bigeclipse

All,
I have a Remington 700 in 3006 I am wishing to rebarrel with a factory contour sporter barrel. It currently wears a pencil thin mountain barrel which groups only ok. It yields 1-1.5inch groups which has been acceptable since I mostly hunt to 200 yards with this rifle but now im wanting to bring it to 400 yards (yes I know the current groups will work as well but I want better). I basically want to send the rifle to someone to put a new barrel on it and while they are at it, bed the B&C stock it currently resides in. I wish to keep the barrel relatively light as a more handy type rifle so 24in length will be max and I would prefer to keep it around the sporter-ish contours. What are your thoughts on where I can send it? I have no gunsmiths near me who can do this work (That I have found yet). Will I be able to ship it to them directly like sending a gun in to ruger for warranty repair or will I have to use an FFL? Thanks!

You need to talk to Charley Robertson at Score High:
Score High Gunsmithing
9812-A Cochiti Rd SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123

1-800-326-5632
Monday - Friday 9:00 to 5:00 (mountain time)

He can help advise you on a barrel that meets your requirements, then get your action squared and trued and re-barreled for a very fair price. And it will be right. He doesn't know any other way. It's just how his mind works. Very detail oriented and he has been at this a long time (since at least the 1980s.) He knows/loves Rem 700s. Give him a call. You'll be glad you did. Top notch smith.

Yes, you can ship a rifle to a gunsmith without going to an FFL. And the gunsmith can ship it back to you, again, without having to go through an FFL. (I just shipped a .22 Hornet to Charley to be re-cut to K-Hornet. Went through USPS and had no troubles at all.)

Also, when you get a moment, ADD YOUR LOCATION to your profile. People can suggest folks that might be near you if they know your location.

All,
I have a Remington 700 in 3006 I am wishing to rebarrel with a factory contour sporter barrel. It currently wears a pencil thin mountain barrel which groups only ok. It yields 1-1.5inch groups which has been acceptable since I mostly hunt to 200 yards with this rifle but now im wanting to bring it to 400 yards (yes I know the current groups will work as well but I want better). I basically want to send the rifle to someone to put a new barrel on it and while they are at it, bed the B&C stock it currently resides in. I wish to keep the barrel relatively light as a more handy type rifle so 24in length will be max and I would prefer to keep it around the sporter-ish contours. What are your thoughts on where I can send it? I have no gunsmiths near me who can do this work (That I have found yet). Will I be able to ship it to them directly like sending a gun in to ruger for warranty repair or will I have to use an FFL? Thanks!
Where do you live? Your rifle can be sent and shipped back to you with no FFL.

Beanland Custom Rifles-580-471-3380
Jon Beanland is one of the best gunsmiths out there and one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Check out his website, beanlandrifles.com, for descriptions and pics and prices on his work. If Jon does it I promise, you won't be disappointed!

I'd consider the remage as well. But, I can't recommend Kampfeld Customs enough. Karl does phenomenal work

Remage unless you don't have the basic tools or would rather pay than mess with it yourself. I do all my barrels this way and bed my stocks...it's not hard.

Just ordered a Benchmark barrel. Took a week and it is shipping to me. Shaenrifles.com has turned out two great shooters for me in the last 3 months. Pretty easy these days.

All,

Jon Beanland gets my vote. I have two of his rifles and they are the most accurate rifles I have ever shot.

John

I'd highly recommend Match Grade Machine in Utah.
They'll do a Remage pre fit and if you send them your rifle they will install it for free.
You could get a #3 or #4 contour with spiral fluting that would weigh around 3lbs.
Awesome customer service and extremely accurate barrels.
I'm not sure if they bed actions but it wouldn't surprise me

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.