Remington 700 rebarrel...who to send to?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Jul 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

All,
    I have a Remington 700 in 3006 I am wishing to rebarrel with a factory contour sporter barrel. It currently wears a pencil thin mountain barrel which groups only ok. It yields 1-1.5inch groups which has been acceptable since I mostly hunt to 200 yards with this rifle but now im wanting to bring it to 400 yards (yes I know the current groups will work as well but I want better). I basically want to send the rifle to someone to put a new barrel on it and while they are at it, bed the B&C stock it currently resides in. I wish to keep the barrel relatively light as a more handy type rifle so 24in length will be max and I would prefer to keep it around the sporter-ish contours. What are your thoughts on where I can send it? I have no gunsmiths near me who can do this work (That I have found yet). Will I be able to ship it to them directly like sending a gun in to ruger for warranty repair or will I have to use an FFL? Thanks!

2. Frog4aday

Frog4aday Well-Known Member

You need to talk to Charley Robertson at Score High:
    Score High Gunsmithing
    9812-A Cochiti Rd SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87123

1-800-326-5632
    Monday - Friday 9:00 to 5:00 (mountain time)

He can help advise you on a barrel that meets your requirements, then get your action squared and trued and re-barreled for a very fair price. And it will be right. He doesn't know any other way. It's just how his mind works. Very detail oriented and he has been at this a long time (since at least the 1980s.) He knows/loves Rem 700s. Give him a call. You'll be glad you did. Top notch smith.

Yes, you can ship a rifle to a gunsmith without going to an FFL. And the gunsmith can ship it back to you, again, without having to go through an FFL. (I just shipped a .22 Hornet to Charley to be re-cut to K-Hornet. Went through USPS and had no troubles at all.)

Also, when you get a moment, ADD YOUR LOCATION to your profile. People can suggest folks that might be near you if they know your location.

Bucklowery likes this.
  3. Royal Knight

Royal Knight Active Member

Where do you live? Your rifle can be sent and shipped back to you with no FFL.

4. tcob68

tcob68 Well-Known Member

Beanland Custom Rifles-580-471-3380
    Jon Beanland is one of the best gunsmiths out there and one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Check out his website, beanlandrifles.com, for descriptions and pics and prices on his work. If Jon does it I promise, you won't be disappointed!

5. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Why not do a Remage?
    I used a Mcree precision prefit.

Bravo 4 likes this.
  6. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

This is what I did.

gohring3006 likes this.