Remington 700 Rebarrel questions

The bolt resting on the bottom of the stock or rubbing on the sides MIGHT affect accuracy. If it is binding in any way I figure it will cause an issue.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the forward most scope base screw. It is quite common to have the the screw hit the barrel threads and not tighten the base in front. Only way I know to be certain is to remove rear screw of front base, tighten front base screw to see.

Crowns are hard to see without a borescope. One test that could show a burr would be to run a Q-tip around the crown to see if any fibers are caught on a burr. I used to use the rear ocular of a cheap rifle scope inverted to magnify the crown. The borescope is vastly better. If in doubt recrown.

I think it would be interesting to check everything AND shoot no more than two shots allowing for total cooling to ambient before shooting two more. One test I like to perform on a hunting rifle is to shoot one shot at the target several days apart. After several sessions place all targets together to see the true accuracy. I have a few very trusted rifles that will place that first shot every time into almost the same place making a very tight group and inspiring confidence.

Didn't mention it as it is obvious, don't want to insult, a clean bore is important. What products do you use? Again a bore scope can tell you if it is truly clean. Had a friend at the range come to me and said his accuracy fell off. Discovered he only used hoppes #9 solvent found copper speed bumps in the bore. No kidding the borescope showed lumps here and there. After he used an aggressive copper solvent accuracy returned.

Check out the listed tips, clean up the barrel and retest. Would love to hear what you discover.
Thanks for your advice...I will go through the entire list and check. As for cleaning solvents I use a few different kinds...one is a hopps that says it is purely for removing copper. What do you use for copper fouling?

If you have only used hoppe's copper solvent I would suggest you have copper in your bore. CR-10 or Sweets 7.62 are much more aggressive copper cleaners and are readily available. They can't be left in the bore for very long as the ammonia can etch the steel. They must be totally removed after use. Barnes recommends CRC brake clean in the green can to remove their solvent.

I use Bore tech eliminator. It does a great job on powder residue and copper fouling. A bonus is that it can be left in the bore. I often will push several patches through then let it sit with a wet bore. In some instances with my older, hard to clean, barrels I may leave the rifle soaking for a few days. To save patches I use a slotted tip with a wet patch and run it in and out several times then wait. Come back push a wet patch through and again use the slotted tip method with a new patch.

Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaning Solvent Liquid

On some occasions when a bore is really powder fouled I will use JB borepaste in the beginning after a few patches of Bore tech to penetrate the fouling.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...ng-compound-2-oz--sku083065002-1160-4121.aspx

I have also used IOSSO to remove stubborn fouling. It is less aggressive than JB and really shines up the bore. It will take out the last bit of stubborn powder fouling and copper. I have a Bartlein 5R barrel in 6mm-284. It lost its tiny grouping at 200 yds. At the time I didn't own a borescope. My friend Dan, who shoots 1000 BR, suggested we take a look with his borescope. We discovered a narrow layer of black substance in the "corner" of the lands and grooves 4" from the end of the barrel. He told me to use Iosso on a tight fitting patch and rub it back and forth in the affected area. It removed the stubborn fouling and the gun shot tight groups once again. That is when I became a believer on using borescopes AND Iosso.

Iosso Bore Cleaning Polishing Compound Paste 1-1/2oz Tube

When the bore gets totally clean you may find it takes one or two fouling shots before the bullets go to the proper POI.

Again, be sure to let us know what you discover.

Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.