Remington 700 3006 rebarrel (what other calibers?)

*If it were me...I would be deciding between the 280AI and the 338-06. Pretty sure factory ammo and brass are available for both. If I wanted to shoot deer and longer range the 280AI would be my choice, if I was looking for an all around 300 and under rifle the 338-06 would be my pick. There clear as mud.

Ahhhh! A re-barrel in a different caliber. Well, I prefer the new 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) but it's a short cartridge and you have a long action.

CARTRIDGE-> Given that action I recommend a .300 Norma magnum. Great .30 caliber cartridge that outpaces the .300 Win mag by a bit. But a 7 mm Rem.magnum is also very nice and not quite as much recoil but great ballistics.

BARREL-> A Bartlein barrel with 5R rifling. I like stainless steel for longer throat life.

SCOPE-> You need to keep it relatively light so the Vortex Razor AMG is great at a relatively low weight for its power range (but yeah, pricey).

Eric B.

I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!

Talk about a huge topic!! Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Toyota! Age old questions that entice great conversation around not only the campfire, but everywhere. If you are not going to reload, I'd say stick with the more common calibers as suggested above but if you are reloading, only your imagination should stop you. I have 24", #2 contour Benchmark barrel on my lightweight custom 270 which is a dream to pack in the mountains and shoots as good as I can shoot it. Does it heat up fast? Yes, so groups are kept to 3 between coolings, but I can't see myself going more than that anyway. If you are concerned about recoil, a Kick-eez pad is great, considering you don't want to spend enough for a brake but even with mine being a 6lb. rifle, the recoil is very managable. Just my two pennies worth.

So many good suggestions. As of late, I have rediscovered the 30-06 as though it is some kind of new kid on the block, ha ha. If you can get one to shoot well, it's a very satisfying caliber. Sort'a like Goldilocks, "this one is just right". Not a fan of pencil barrels but sporter's are just fine for me.

I have only one opinion regarding cartridge choice.......go with your heart!
I NEVER pick a cartridge from others opinions, desires or arguments. If I did, I wouldn't own ANY Weatherby cartridges, a 264WM or a 25-06.
All of the above get poo-pooed regularly on forums, even though their performance in the field CANNOT be questioned.
I absolutely hate the 243 Winchester, yet I recommend that cartridge for youths and ladies for their first 'big game' cartridge.

To the OP, the 30-06, which I have never owned, is a great cartridge. There are hundreds of factory loads available and is very easy to load for.
I load for a few mates, most use 180's but one uses 165's and I found RE19 to give best performance with both weights.
Other choices in '06 cases are 25-06, 270 and my all time favourite the semi-wildcat 338-06. This cartridge kills so cleanly with absolute minimal meat loss that I am enamoured with it. My 338WM bruises the meat rather badly in comparison.

Just my 2c.

Cheers.
;)

Ahhhh! A re-barrel in a different caliber. Well, I prefer the new 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) but it's a short cartridge and you have a long action.

CARTRIDGE-> Given that action I recommend a .300 Norma magnum. Great .30 caliber cartridge that outpaces the .300 Win mag by a bit. But a 7 mm Rem.magnum is also very nice and not quite as much recoil but great ballistics.

BARREL-> A Bartlein barrel with 5R rifling. I like stainless steel for longer throat life.

SCOPE-> You need to keep it relatively light so the Vortex Razor AMG is great at a relatively low weight for its power range (but yeah, pricey).

Eric B.
He would have to modify more than just a bolt face for both of those cartridges... Even more mods for the .300 Norma.

I am not a fan of the pencil barrels. I like a sporter or not smaller than the #2 Shilen ( Light Sporter?) I also start out with 24-26" barrels. You limit your catridge choices if you want to stay with factory loads and keep the action as is. You "can" have the bolt face opened up and an outside extractor added, and go with a magnum case. When you mentioned Remage, where you thinking more along flat shooter or thumpers? A 338/06 with Banres 160 TTSX covers a lot of territory, but so does a .270 Winchester! Can you narrow it down? :)

The rifle will see 350 yards max with 99% of shots under 150 yards.

With this in mind. I would stick with a 30-06 size case. Being thats what the guns made for. No need to get to fancy. But would keep it .270 or bigger. If it were me I would just do a 30-06 again.

He would have to modify more than just a bolt face for both of those cartridges... Even more mods for the .300 Norma.
Might as well start off with another action and go with one of the customs that are beefier all the way around if you're going to go with the Norma. It wold be better and probably cheaper in the end.

I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!
I think I'd stick with the 30-06. I've been rediscovering also lately with the new powders and bullets. Out to 350 yards I think any of the "old" tried and true bullets will serve you fine also. But a 280, 270, 6.5-06 probably all would be just fine also. I was going to go with a 300 win mag or a 7mm-300 win mag but the 30-06 will probably stay as my go to hunting rifle.

Well, a 30-06 and a Barnes 130 TTSX will give a .264 WinMag/140 a "run for its money"! I was amazed at how close they run out to 400yds. Beyond, of course, the differences begin to show. A 30-06 with a 200 Nosler is a pretty awesome big hog killer, I do know that! :)

Stuff the 30-06 case full with RL26 and push 180 class bullets @ 2950 fps(26"barrel) and be happy! Will kill everything in North America.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.