remington 700 sendero questions

THERIDDLER07SMS

I have a remingon 700 sendero chambered in 7mmRUM. Does anyone know the barrel life? it has a heavy contoured barrel. On it i have a leupold 6.5-24x40 scope and harris 6-9in bipod. The first thing i wanna change is the stock.. i was thinking about either an accuracy international stock or wait for the j allen stocks to come out in long action. I love the action but looking for new, better bolt. after i get new stock and bolt i will have the action trued.. also i was thinkin about a surpressor. Do that make surpressors for 7mmRUM or shold i just put a muzzle break on? Oh yeah i am thinkin about putting a jewel rigger in. here are some pics.. what does everone think i should do.

CSC_0375.jpg

CSC_0374.jpg

CSC_0373.jpg

CSC_0372.jpg

1st off welcome to LRH.com! :)

I have a remingon 700 sendero chambered in 7mmRUM. Does anyone know the barrel life?

Short and glorious. Most likley NOT what you wanted to hear.

I have had 2 300 RUM barrels. Both ate throats faster than hungry piranhas on a bloody rat.

I will say that my first one made it to 1000 rounds with acceptable accuracy. The problem wasent accuracy loss it was that the throat and bore cooked at such a rate that pressures would rise regularly from the increased friction. My loads would have to be readjusted periodically to accomodate this.

I thought it was all coincidental untill I tried another 300 RUM barrel of another brand and strted documenting more results. The second barrel had identical results only more extreme. Both were very easy to clean in the beggining and didnt take long for them to become a pain to clean. The 7mm will be even harder on a barrel.

Hmm well maybe this will be my starter rifle.. leave it as it is and start building a new rifle. i like the .270-7mm range becuase i mostly hunt deer and coyotes and dont really need anything too big..

I had a similar delima with my 300 win. I looked at the cost to do everything I wanted and ended up ordering a custom 338rum from Defensive Edge. In process of selling my 300.

Count on about 1000 rounds for barrel life.

If I were you this is what I would do:
Iif you want a jewel trigger get it and have it installed the same time you install a muzzel break. Trust me its worth it. while its there getting that stuff done might as well have the gunsmith glass bed it.

First I woud just go shoot it and see if it needs anything! You might find that it shoots like a dream! then save the money for ammo and a replacement barrel.

My brother has one and it shoots really well with nothing done but a timney trigger.

FYI if you want a different bolt I would sugest looking at Kampfeild customes and have him flute it with the T-I looking fluts and a hunter style bolt knob. Not sure what you are looking for in a new bolt other than looks.

Having the action worked on is better done when its sent in for a new barrel.

Willys

Does the glass bed help with accuracy quite a bit? I am looking at getting the accuracy international stock.. would i need one for that stock? 1000rounds is alot of ammo.. ive put 3 boxes through so far just shooting around.. i only go hunting a couple weeks out of the year so 1000 will be awhile.. if my gun shoots good i my be at the range alot.. how much does it usually cost to rebarrel a r700? does the heavy barrel add to barrel life at all?

riddler,

barrels wear out from the inside out and back to front. So, if made from the same material, a sporter and a cylinder would last about the same length of time if shot the same.

Kampfeld does beautiful work.

Don't think bad of your sendero just because it won't hold up to a million rounds like those piece of crap glocks will. I will beg to differ that the 7mm barrel will last longer than the 300 RUM barrel.

Rebarreling a model 700 with fluting and custom fitting the action (the works) back at your door costs $685 even at krieger barrels, and in my opinion, they are as good as any. Also, you could bu barrel from them and have kampfeld fit it for you. The barrel blank is about $280.

If you are a deer/hog/elk man like me, and you are wanting to start a build. Look at the 260 Ackley. It's adequate or overkill for all of the above out to 900 yds or better if you do your part.

Texas

Also, the stock currently on your rifle is about the best stock in the world (barring perhaps the mcmillan htg) for general shooting and hunting. Why would you sell it? Is there something you don't like about it? If so, i want it so don't let it go in the garbage. We can talk price later, but HS precision makes a great stock.

TX

The stock is great.. Looks great, feels great, and the recoil pad is amazing.. the reason i want to get the accuracy international is for looks and functionality. I do alot of deer hunting but i dont walk much. if a stock cold increase accuracy just a little bit i wouldnt mind the extra weight.

I dont know how you can improve on the HS stock much except maybe skim bed the one you have.

Sendero's have a great out of the box rep. I've just got a used one (300 RUM)that will supposidly shoot a 1" group @ 350 yds with factory ammo. That works out to .3 MOA @ 350 yds and that's as good as most customs.

If I were you, I would shoot it before doing anything to it, other than maybe a trigger job as suggested. If you have the new SF II, then I believe it comes with about a 3 1/2 lb factory trigger which is crisp but a little heavy. You'll need to take it to a gunsmith to adjust it.

I wouldn't do anything more to it than that before firing it. You might actually negatively affect it's accuracy by getting another drop in stock?

For looks and functionality, I like the HS stock, but that's just me.

Shoot your rifle... if it's a tack driver, dont mess with it. When you need a new barrel then you can consider other options

JMHO

-MR

Last edited:
I have shot boxes through it, all factory ammo.. remington ultra core lokt 140gr shells. im not the most stable shooter and i dont have a vice to shoot out of so i was using a bipod and i got it to shoot 1.5 in at 300 yards and 5 holes to overlap at 100 yards. i cant imagine what it would be like if i had a gun vice to put it in so i couldnt move. i have the first generation of sendero so the trigger is heavy.. i was thinkin about puttin a jewel trigger in. I will try my rifle out deer hunting a couple times before i change too much. i checked out the kampfield website and love the looks of a fluted bolt with a bigger knob. at the range the rifle shoots great.. and barrel life isnt that big of a deal with me.. if i have to rebarrel about every 5 years the accuracy and power of the 7mm RUM is def worth it. i am thinkin about zero my rifle at either 250 or 300 yards. ill take some pics of some early range targets that i saved and put them up

This first shot was my very first time ever shooting a 7mm ultra mag.. the only rifle i ever shot before was a 270 so the kick kinda surprised me.

i also had the scoped cranked at 20x so my eye was real close to eyepiece and got smacked a few times.. so i was flinched and other bad stuff so the groups not too great.

this target is 100yards

CSC_0469.jpg

this next target is 300yards. the two shots are abut 1 1/2 in apart

CSC_0470.jpg

I have the old trigger as well and it breaks fairly light and very crisp. It's very close to my Sako M85 which is set for 2 lb.

By the description of your shooting experiences, it sounds like you have a very accurate rifle. If you work on your techniques, I'm guessing you could tighten things up a bit.

Again, if it was me, I would work with what I have and tweek it a little, like maybe a new trigger, work up a good custom handload, maybe a skim bed job, and work on your shooting techniques. I'm thinking that you should easily get consistant sub .5 MOA results.

When my Sendero burns out and I get a new barrel, I'll get the action blue printed and reciever trued, bolt worked on, trigger, etc. and put another Sendero contour on in a match grade barrel.

Good shooting and keep us posted on your progress.

-MR

You might try ANY other brand of ammo, haha. Please, anything but remington. Great rifles, not so great ammo, but hey... it looks like its working for you, so its your call. I agree with montana. Leave well enough alone on the stock situation.

TX

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.