Rebarrel Remington 700 7mm ultra mag lss to 257 weatherby or 25-06

taximan

I am new to the forum and thanks for the add. I have a Remington 700 lss 7mm ultra mag that is just more than I want to shoot anymore plus the barrel has a bit of wear. My guestion is how difficult would it be to rebarrel to 257 weatherby or 25-06. Thanks in advance.

I have the same rifle and I rebarreled it to a 6.5 PRC. You would need to stick to a magnum, unless you get another bolt. You might be able to rebarrel to the 257 Weatherby. Dont remember off hand what bolt diameter it is.

Your 7 RUM has a .540 bolt face like most magnums and a 25-06 takes a .470. The .257 Wby is tougher on barrel wear, but a great killer.

Since you have a magnum action, I would say 257 weatherby if you are after a 25 cal.

I just went through the dilemma of do I turn my burnt out 257 weatherby into a 264 win mag or rebarrel it to 257 weatherby again. Since this is the only quarter bore rifle I own, I decided to rebuild it as a 257.

25-06 is a great choice with a long barrel to help speed, but your bolt face is wrong.

If you really want to have a super flat fast gun build a 257 stw. i push a 100 grain ttsx at 3700 fps. mild load. it's a lot of fun shooting it also, and a killer for deer.

Any 7rum brass you'll no longer need?
I know I have some brass and some ammo. It's back at my parents house though and I wont be back to visit them for a few weeks. I will check to see what I have and post it in the classifieds when I go back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.