Remington 700 3006 rebarrel (what other calibers?)

Why limit your barrel taper choice to the cheap synthetic stock that your rifle came with? I just checked on fleabay and there are many many Remington 700 LA stocks for sale cheap.
And I have a slew of rifles in 30.06: 8-M1 Garands all Manufacturers, 1-1903 Remington, 1-1903A3 Remington. 1-1903A3 Remington and 1-Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester. Nothing wrong with the 30.06
BTL
It didn't come with a cheap synthetic stock. It came with a B and C stock with aluminum chassis. Quite a nice stock actually. No it's not a McMillan but it's not a Tupperware stock either.

Triggertech Special thumbs up! Very nice trigger. Puts the stock Remington to shame.

Another kick at the stock. I'm not at all sure that the B&C Mountain Stock can handle being opened up to clear a remage barrel nut.......
Unfortun
Mudrunner nailed it. There's so many options in the 3006 family and the classic will meet all your needs.

If you don't reload then it's really the way to go.

If you reload then the sky's the limit. My choices would be a 280 sherman or AI or the same in 3006. The only one of those that stands out is the 280ai since you can buy factory formed brass for it.

I also agree with selling the b&c. While I think they're a good stock for the money I'm not a fan of pencil thin barrels and you could likely sell that stock and buy another for just a little extra coin. Then install the barrel contour of choice. MR mentioned the Bart 3b. I have one on a 22-250ai and love it. I Feel it's an excellent compromise between really thin and the heavy varmint barrels.
unfortunately the stock has been bedded with the current rifle and this rifle doesn't need super accuracy with 5+ round count groups. If I get 3 round groups sub 1 MOA, I will be happy. The rifle will see 350 yards max with 99% of shots under 150 yards so a standard sporter contour is really all I need anyways.

I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!
Forgive me if I missed it, but is the barrel shot out or in bad shape or are you just wanting a slightly larger profile? If it's in good shape I might be interested.

For a remage, I have been very happy with Criterion barrels from Northland Shooter Supply. I have 2 barrels for my 6.5x47 and one for my 6.5-284. All three are varmint contour though so I cannot comment on the sporter profile.

Ok, I was gunna stay out of the caliber debate, but..... Just can't help myself from weighing in......

The 270 Winchester will do everything you said you want - Deer and bear to 300 - and better. It's flatter and faster, with less kick. It will kill any bear or deer you put your sights on. To 300 yards, you can set it up so you don't even need to hold off. The 270 is very accurate, ammo is available everywhere, and it's a popular cartridge for very good reason. If you have liked your 30-06, you will love a 270.

Northland shooters supply has Crieterion remage. I'm sure if you call they would also do a shilen
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-remington-remage/
Bugholes has the nut and some great barrels
Bartlein
Bullet_SubCategory.gif
Brux
Bullet_SubCategory.gif
Hawk Hill
Bullet_SubCategory.gif
Krieger
Bullet_SubCategory.gif
Mullerworks
Bullet_SubCategory.gif
Proof Research [URL='http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1837.htm']Rock Creek[/URL]

Unfortunately the stock has been bedded with the current rifle and this rifle doesn't need super accuracy with 5+ round count groups. If I get 3 round groups sub 1 MOA, I will be happy. The rifle will see 350 yards max with 99% of shots under 150 yards so a standard sporter contour is really all I need anyways.

If you are happy with 1" groups, then I agree, a standard sporter contour will fit the bill. However, you will have to rebed. You cannot put a remage system into the old bedding without redoing it. You will also have to relieve a large chunk of the aluminum substrate from the front of the action area to accommodate the barrel nut. I had a real good look at my B&C Mountain Stock. Relieving the stock will weaken it. I can't say if it will break as a result, but I would be concerned about it. If you search the web for Bell and Carlson Mountain Stock, you will find lots of hunters who have broken their stock at that location. So it's already weak there. I agree, it's not Tupperware, but it isn't exactly high quality either. B&C makes the Synthetic stocks for Cooper. Those stocks also have bedding blocks but they are drop dead gorgeous and much higher quality - not at all like the Remington. I have one of each.

All that said, I get it when someone loves something. It doesn't have to make sense to me or anyone else. But please do your homework. Check out how much you are gunna have to modify the stock to accommodate the remage barrel nut system BEFORE you get locked in. Removing old bedding is no big deal - but you can't restore the forend after you remove enough meat to clear the barrel nut.

If you really love the stock, then my advice is to forget the Remage system and stick with the standard Remington shouldered barrel system so you don't have to modify and weaken the stock.

Last edited:
I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!

My preference would be a 280AI.

If you are happy with 1" groups, then I agree, a standard sporter contour will fit the bill. However, you will have to rebed. You cannot put a remage system into the old bedding without redoing it. You will also have to relieve a large chunk of the aluminum substrate from the front of the action area to accommodate the barrel nut. I had a real good look at my B&C Mountain Stock. Relieving the stock will weaken it. I can't say if it will break as a result, but I would be concerned about it. If you search the web for Bell and Carlson Mountain Stock, you will find lots of hunters who have broken their stock at that location. So it's already weak there. I agree, it's not Tupperware, but it isn't exactly high quality either. B&C makes the Synthetic stocks for Cooper. Those stocks also have bedding blocks but they are drop dead gorgeous and much higher quality - not at all like the Remington. I have one of each.

All that said, I get it when someone loves something. It doesn't have to make sense to me or anyone else. But please do your homework. Check out how much you are gunna have to modify the stock to accommodate the remage barrel nut system BEFORE you get locked in. Removing old bedding is no big deal - but you can't restore the forend after you remove enough meat to clear the barrel nut.

If you really love the stock, then my advice is to forget the Remage system and stick with the standard Remington shouldered barrel system so you don't have to modify and weaken the stock.
Thanks for the info. Hmm didn't realize the remage would cause so much issue. Maybe I'll keep it as is for some years and if I get bored with it then I'll get rid of the stock and barrel and do a full custom on the action.

Maybe I'll keep it as is for some years and if I get bored with it then I'll get rid of the stock and barrel and do a full custom on the action.

That's actually exactly what I did. I bought the mountain because I am getting old and wanted a lighter rifle. But I was not happy with the crummy accuracy. That pencil thin barrel whips around like a wet noodle. I'd rather carry some weight than miss game, so I replaced it with a heavy sporter in 260 Rem (mine was originally a 308). I didn't like the forend much after I opened it up to fit the bigger barrel and I didn't like the thin forend much anyway, so I bought a laminated wood stock from Boyd. The result is a tack driver that I love. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat. It's my goto deer rifle now.

Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the sidetrips. A few sidetrips with a rifle or three make great memories.

Forgot to add that I also trued the action, added a one-piece PTG Bolt & 3/8ths recoil lug, and pillar bedded the Boyd. Now it shoots flies.

.284 Win, .270 win, 25-06, 6.5-06. Lots of good choices.

There are a lot of good choices, it will come down to your personal preference. My favorite two are the 270 Win. and the 35 Whelen (the Whelen shoots much flatter than most people think). I have a 30-06 as well. For what you want all three will work grate and you will love any of them, the 280 an 338-06 falls in there nicely as well. Me personally for manly deer I'd go with 270, if I was going to do same amount of/or more bear as deer I'd go 35 Whelen, but that's me. There are many that will work for you, so I'd say start looking at the ones that appeals to you the most, then look at weather you are going to reload or not, then look at available ammo and/or reloading supplies, and see what you like and dislike with each and keep narrowing it down till you find the one you like best. Keep in mind the things you are looking for the most and the caliber that entities you the most. That's how I ended up getting the 35 Whelen, I learned of in when a teenager when Remington made it a stander offering, it fascinated me so much that I finally got one 20+ years later and now have three. Point being if there is a caliber/cartridge you like a lot go with it and you will be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.