Rem Mountain Rifle Ideas/Help

It shoots fine at an inch or under regular. With some reloading (just started this year) it should get better.

It carries well, the hard butt pad sucks the most. All in it weights about 6.5ish pounds, and bites for a mild cartridge.

Steve

My question would be what cartridge or set up do you want?

If it was me I would replace the recoil pad and done. I love the 7mm-08 and at your hunting ranges it works great. For me my rifles hold hunting memories and I really dont like to change much. I would change the barrel when its shot out and most likely still keep it light.

But again, what do you want? Thats is the question.

It shoots fine at an inch or under regular. With some reloading (just started this year) it should get better.

It carries well, the hard butt pad sucks the most. All in it weights about 6.5ish pounds, and bites for a mild cartridge.

Steve
Ive got one in '06 from Back when they called it a custom deluxe BDL; a 1964
model I think? I picked it up cheap and wqs going to use it to test my 30 caliber bullets I was making at the time. Well, I fell in love with it and its the quickest, easy carrying rifle I have and also one of the only factory rifles.
15891550281767046813990185400592.jpg
1589155142761358993090768798756.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve
Check with Wayne York at Oregunsmithing, and Pendleton composite stocks. He made me a couple awesome lightweight stocks one is on a Model 70 classic 22-250 and a Montana 99 300 wsm. They are a nice compact stock that reminds me of the Model 7 style.

I
I saw an advertisement somewhere for a very slimmed down carbon covered barrel.....cant remember where.....but it could be exactly what you are looking for......
I remember three color options...black.. green.. red...
I myself have two in Mtn fashion...noodle barrels....very easy to carry....
could be wrong but I think it was Bartlien offering the colored carbon wraps.

Steve
I had a model seven in 7-08 that cut bug holes with Sierra 150 grain game king soft points, I could get you the load info if you'd like. I gave the rifle and my 50 handloads to my brother as a Sheriff's academy grad present 10 years ago but he's still shoot them handloads! I used it for a backup elk rifle had an 18" pencil barrel.

If it works well, why change it? rather than tear it completely apart and change out everything except the receiver, just buy a new receiver and base your build from that. Keep the mountain rifle for backup. You never know if you'll need it again.

I broke my wrist last year and by the time hunting season came around, I still wasn't able to lug around my primary rifle comfortably. So I looked way in the back of my gun cabinet, and there was my old 30-06 mtn rifle with it's pencil barrel and thin stock. So that's what I took. It had not seen the woods since about 2005, but when the time came, I was glad I still had it.

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve
Options to consider,
Install pillars/bed/ free float barrel in existing stock
Have smith rechamber in 7-08ai, recrown barrel,
Install new thin contour barrel with maybe spiral fluting or something cool, new fluted bolt, have action trued.
I wouldn't leave the lightweight, if you're wanting a heavier barrel, get a new platform

I would work around the edge of the wood with a sharp chisel....just to separate the edge to keep from chipping the wood.....then snap it off....

However.....

Thoughts?
Steve

I went through this with an old rifle a few years ago, if its a "shooter", leave it the h*** alone and keep it around for the sake of nostalgia. If you have the money, find one of the current factory+ offerings like a Christensen, Bergara Premier, Seekins HAVAK, Weatherby etc (by "+" I mean one of the nicer "semi custom" offerings, not just a basic Remington). Most of those can be found for what it would cost to have your current gun blueprinted, re-barreled and bedded in a new stock.

If the original gun is a mediocre shooter, and there is nothing about the factory stock or setup that is "special" then yeah, getting it blueprinted, re-barreled, and fitted in a better stock is an awesome way to keep the old rifle hunting, and will be nicer than any comparably priced factory offering.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts