Rem Mountain Rifle Ideas/Help

My very first rifle was a Remington 660 in 308 Winchester When they first came out. It was great rifle for me at the time even though I'm left handed. When I could afford to buy a new rifle I gave the 660 to my son. He still has to this day. My point is keep your rifle in the family and buy a new one if that's what you want don't start modifying a great little rifle that has many memories tied to it. Thanks and good luck!

I saw an advertisement somewhere for a very slimmed down carbon covered barrel.....cant remember where.....but it could be exactly what you are looking for......
I remember three color options...black.. green.. red...
I myself have two in Mtn fashion...noodle barrels....very easy to carry....
The ad you seen might of been the new bartlien carbon barrel.

Sometimes all it takes is a seating test to turn 1" into all cloverleafs with pencil barrels! My model 70 featherweight would stack my hand loads all day as long as you didn't heat it up

bell and carlson # 2467 https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1056
or custom MPI or wildcat ultralight stock
here is my adl mountain 30-06 5.5 lbs bare. 6.6 with optics
20190920_090551.jpg

Stress relieved match barrels will outperform you're factory barrel. Blueprint, bed, free float and re-barrel that thing with the same contour. The rifle will handle and look the same but perform much better. Sleeper concept is not new. Even a thin contour barrel that is of high quality will heat less, and will probably shoot more accurately and with more velocity. Stress relieved barrels are also known to resist "walking," even when they do get hot. If it's a hunting rifle, you're probably not going to fire fast high volume strings of fire anyway. The gunsmith will be able to cut the chamber in a way that will provide you the ability to tune your brass prep and load development.

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve

I have a 260 Rem 700 Mountain LSS. I bought it many years ago on Gunbroker because I love the 260 cartridge and love the look of the LSS rifles. I got lucky when i bought it as someone had already pillar and glass bedded it and it had one of the old school Remington triggers that you could actually fine tune. I've since replaced it with a Jewell but I digress.

Like you I have many fond memories. All of
my kids have used it and killed many animals with it. I have since bought a lot of different rifles and this one rarely sees service anymore but I just can't bring myself to let it go.

Mine shoots acceptable groups for what it is and I'm sure I'll keep it for my Grandkids to use. It's a really nice rifle and it a pleasure to pack and shoot.

With the factory 9 twist barrel I have to limit myself to 130 class bullets. I've thought of having the barrel replaced with a Krieger turned to match the factory profile, but until it starts losing accuracy I see no reason to. I have plenty of other rifles to choose from for long range duty so I'll probably just leave this one as-is.

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve

Hey Steve,

I'd send your barreled action to McGowen Barrels. They will match the factory contour for you on a new barrel. I've got 2 of their barrels on builds I've done and they have performed very well for me. Cost is $35 extra. Then I'd replace the butt pad. I'd keep the memories and nostalgia of YOUR history in the rifle. Look on their website under "contouring". Here is a quote from their website,
"If you want a contour that is not shown on our list below, we can program the contour for you. The cost of this programming is $35.00, which is in addition to the standard contour price of $30.00. Barrels with contours that are not standard will require a non-refundable deposit prior to manufacturing."

Best, Joe

The 7 08 May have a fast twist.? And, it is possibly a candidate to rechamber to 28 nosler ? Have the bolt face opened up. The mag wouldn't work.? But it could be a single shot.? Or load the first round in chamber, and have a modified round nose stubby 28 noz as your follow up shot.?

Do have a synthetic stock or wood stock? I assume it is the former. If you do not trust yourself to replace the pad, a pro gunsmith can easily replace it with a good pad, and should not cost that much. You can not replace the stock and go to BDL or ADL bottom metal because the action rails on your gun are different. Been there, tried that. Will not work. If you decide to change the caliber, there are several barrel makers that can duplicate the factory contour if you send them the gun. Your idea of the 243 would be a good one. My favorite light gun is a 700 MR SS 25-06 with a laminated factroy stock. Good luck with your choice.

The butt pad is glued on and I believe made from some sort of rubberized concrete. LOL

I have not reloaded for it yet, but with the pencil barrel it averages 3/4-1" with a cloverleaf here and there.

My son and I have killed a bunch of stuff with it over the year. It is very functional for its purpose.

Milo-2, your thoughts are what make me question changing it. My other thought is that it's probably worth more to me than the used gun market. So I'd never sell, just considering making it "better".

Thanks all,
Steve
BOOMFLOP: You need to define to yourself what "make it better" means to you. Everyone who has posted has posted what they think make it better means to them.

What I hear is you have a rifle that shoots well enough and has a lot of good history. Not clear why the skinny barrel is a problem but I get if the but pad is to hard. I had a REM MOD 7 SS skinny barreled 7-08 in a compact plastic stock. It was a very handy easy rifle to hunt with and was scoped the same as yours. One thing it did heave was a very comfortable/soft but pad with "Remington" name embossed on it. If you get one of those on it sounds like you would be all set.

Sounds like great excuse to buy a new rifle. It's clear you have an emotion toward that rifle. This kind of ties into the forum last week about the rifle you sold and regretted it. Keep it "as is" for a son or daughter, or just put it in your cabinet..

I have the same rifle, same cartridge, and since they don't make that exact version I won't change it and won't sell it. Only thing I might do is full bed the action and barrel as I did my 270 win DM mtn rifle. But I'm not having any accuracy issues with the 7-08 so it will stay stock for now. Certainly are lighter mtn rifles available but this one's good enough.

Last edited:
I have same rifle in 280, went w a Bell & Carson but it would not feed from Magazine, went w Houge that fits great but seems heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.