Rem Mountain Rifle Ideas/Help

BoomFlop

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve

Only you can answer that. You may be able to improve its performance by bedding and free-floating the barrel, replacing the trigger, and re-crowning the barrel. Unsure what makes you unhappy with the barrel and stock. Had a similar choice with an old Ruger "tanger", but my barrel was toast. Personally, with so many "memories", I'd be reluctant to change it drastically and buy or build something closer to what I wanted.

I wanted to post yesterday, the minute you rebarrel to a heavier barrel, now you have to open up the barrel channel, not much room. Now you are into a different stock also, not that this is bad, you just no longer own a Rem 700 mtn rifle.
No return once you start changing parts.
If the rifle means that much to you, keep it and build your dream rifle.
I am so much different than you though, if mine, I'd sell, no guns I have meant that much to me. Though I do have an Ed Brown custom 1911 that for some vein reason I needed my initials engraved on the slide, so unless I find a buyer with the initials ML, doubt it will bring much, probably croak owning that one, lol

The butt pad is glued on and I believe made from some sort of rubberized concrete. LOL

I have not reloaded for it yet, but with the pencil barrel it averages 3/4-1" with a cloverleaf here and there.

My son and I have killed a bunch of stuff with it over the year. It is very functional for its purpose.

Milo-2, your thoughts are what make me question changing it. My other thought is that it's probably worth more to me than the used gun market. So I'd never sell, just considering making it "better".

Thanks all,
Steve

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve
I think bell and Carlson makes a stock for the rem. mountain not the best but not very pricey either might be worth a look

You have a rifle with some value that was built for a specialized purpose. Why mess with it ? If you want something else there are 1000s of used 700s out there with little value at all.

Just what do you want and what is the intended use ?

Once you put a new tube on it, it's no longer a mtn rifle. I did this exact same thing with a sako Finnlight. I shot out the barrel and I decided to go a bit heavier on the barrel. Put it in a mcmillan and go with a better LR scope. By the time you are done with all that your 6.5-7lb rig is now 9-10lbs and doesn't resemble what you had enough to keep those fond memories when you see it.

If I had it to do over I would have left mine alone. Even though it shoots 1/4-1/3 moa as a 7wsm, it is now no longer what I bought the Finnlight for.

It is more of a redundancy as I have a Rem LTR 308 win that is crazy accurate and so close in performance to the 7-08.

I think I'd really like a fast twist smaller caliber deer and coyote rifle. Maybe a 243 or 6 creed?

I have an extremely accurate Rem LTR in 223 Rem and just want something to be between without duplicating another rifle.

Althought I'ma Bowhunter at heart, with fairly limited rifle season, I think I'd like a long range deer/antelope rifle with more velocity while still being able to shoot accurately without a break.

Steve

Get it rebarreled in a mountain weight barrel, as @adk hunter mentioned .Keep the old barrel , maybe index mark it and have a switch barrel rifle on the cheap.The allure of the mountain rifle was a factory lite weight rifle.I have one in a 30-06 just for the mountains.You can get a replacement stock and convert from a detachable to standard bdl. bottom metal.I am not big on telling others how to spend money but consider the real use for the rifle and maximize it for that purpose.I would probably leave it alone and enjoy, but a mountain rifle in (6) anything would be kinda cool. ;)

Last edited:
The mountain rifle is nice for weight, topped with a simple Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36. However, my typical hunting in Wisconsin is a 200-600 yard walk and sit, so weight either way is not a concern.

I am not a huge fan of recoil, my LTR 308 with Swarovski is fine, but a heavy recoiling rifle and muzzle break is out. Shots happen too quickly and by surprise for hearing protection (I know I know).

Thanks
Steve

Well now with the extra info.... keep it like it is and enjoy or build or buy a slightly heavier rifle.At 58 I still have my first deer rifle remington 700 30-06 I know about the memories, that's why it is still in tact.

I saw an advertisement somewhere for a very slimmed down carbon covered barrel.....cant remember where.....but it could be exactly what you are looking for......
I remember three color options...black.. green.. red...
I myself have two in Mtn fashion...noodle barrels....very easy to carry....

It shoots fine at an inch or under regular. With some reloading (just started this year) it should get better.

It carries well, the hard butt pad sucks the most. All in it weights about 6.5ish pounds, and bites for a mild cartridge.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.