Rem Mountain Rifle Ideas/Help

If you get another barrel in the same contour but in .260 cal it will be a bit stiffer. Changing the butt pad is an easy fix for any gunsmith but they will have to cut the old one off with a fine tooth bandsaw because the screws are probably still inside and need to be cut through as well. Sometimes even on a glued on pad you can still take the screws out with a bit of muscle, especially is they aren't slotted. It helps to give them a few taps before you start turning.

It is more of a redundancy as I have a Rem LTR 308 win that is crazy accurate and so close in performance to the 7-08.

I think I'd really like a fast twist smaller caliber deer and coyote rifle. Maybe a 243 or 6 creed?

I have an extremely accurate Rem LTR in 223 Rem and just want something to be between without duplicating another rifle.

Althought I'ma Bowhunter at heart, with fairly limited rifle season, I think I'd like a long range deer/antelope rifle with more velocity while still being able to shoot accurately without a break.

Steve

The last time I checked they were still making new rifles almost every day.Keep it as is and go buy a new one in what ever caliber you desire.

If you're dead set on a new barrel, look at Shaw, they have some light weight contours from 16-24" with 8" or 9.5" twist.

I have a Savage mdl 16 in 260 Remington that I bought several years ago after having shoulder surgery. The factory barrel was crap so it was sent back and Savage re barreled it, the rifle still didn't shoot well. So I ordered a Shaw 24" (8 twist) light contour replacement and couldn't be happier, it's accurate and light.

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve
You could upgrade your rifle with a new stock and a pre-fit custom made barrel. If you are looking for ideas or wanted to kick some ideas around give Straight Jacket Armory a call at (307) 707-3181. www.straightjacketarmory.com

We turn your make your hunting rifle into a sweet shooting tack driving machine!

Good Luck!

StraightShooter77

I've got a 25+ year old Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem with a select wood stock that a local distributor did a run of. My dad bought me that rifle when I was 12 years old and it's been through it all. Our falls have been warmer and wetter than when i was a kid and now we get rain all through bear and deer seasons. The water has damaged the stock. It still shoots fine, but I thought about putting a Bell & Carlson on it....but I like it just how it is....how my dad gave it to me. If it didn't shoot well, maybe that'd be a different story.

But I decided instead of changing my mountain rifle to build another gun. I've been saving up and slowing getting parts together. By this fall I'll have a carbon barreled 6.5PRC to take into the woods. I'll make some memories with it too.

Good Luck.
R

So I have a Remington 700 DM Mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. It is a good rifle with a lot of first and a lot of memories. I've never been extremely happy with the factory wood stock and the pencil barrel. As mentioned it has killed a bunch of stuff and I'd never sell it.

However.....

Do I leave it as is for memories and it "works" OR do I rebarrel and get a different stock for it? What would you do? The factory detachable mag makes stock choices with pencil barrel extremely limited (without spending $700 on a Manners or McMillin).

Thoughts?
Steve
You should save that gun and just buy another one to fit your needs, that will be much cheaper in the long run and you will still have the old gun for memories. and once you ReBarrel and Re Stock your existing gun it's won't be the same gun anyway.

I have a M700 Mountain rifle in .26-06. Bought it in early '90's, a month after taking my BDL for an all day walk in Michigan's UP. It will put 2 sometimes 3 in an inch at 200 yd. Then it will walk holes across the hill side. But, 1st and 2nd are right there and have not needed the 2nd on game. The wood is plain but pleasing straight grain. But light. Remington did a great job of stocking mountain rifles in light weight walnut.
If I ever shoot the bbl out I will rebarrel same contour. Stock will stay same. It has not been bedded. If accuracy goes south - maybe. Recoil is a non-issue for a lite hunting rifle.
I don't know what more I could ask of a Michigan deer rifle. If yours works like mine I sure would not mess with it.

However.....

Thoughts?
Steve
Leave as is if she's still holding expected accuracy. If you want a more potent long range rig do a different rifle. Typically light weight and thin barrels don't translate to required long range accuracy. Long range and lighter weight equals lots of cash usually.

I have always liked the looks and fit of the 700 mountains with the DBM. I hated my first one and mostly hated my second one until I replaced the trigger. I would start there and you will probably end there. It made a bad situation a great situation. A lot of those triggers were just hopeless. That would be all I change if you can help it. Those Mtn DBMs are getting pretty hard to find in short action chamberings and are a classy little piece of Americana.

If you do anything, I'd consider talking with the guys @ Lilja. Have them dupe the factor contour to the end of the stock, then have it tape out to .62" at the muzzle at 23". It'll have a wonderful weight forward feel and will be really shooter friendly. Plus you wont' have to open up your wood stock.

I did this with a 84M and it came out really well

The butt pad is glued on and I believe made from some sort of rubberized concrete. LOL

I have not reloaded for it yet, but with the pencil barrel it averages 3/4-1" with a cloverleaf here and there.

My son and I have killed a bunch of stuff with it over the year. It is very functional for its purpose.

Milo-2, your thoughts are what make me question changing it. My other thought is that it's probably worth more to me than the used gun market. So I'd never sell, just considering making it "better".

Thanks all,
Steve
You wrote "My son and I have killed a bunch of stuff with it over the year". So, what is your son's thinking on changing/gettin' rid of this rifle? He has memories too.

I should say years. I shot my first black bear with it, as did he. He shot his first WI buck with it when he was 10 as well. We have both killed a bunch of deer with it as well. I love the little rifle, it is more of making it "better", but then again, it is great at what it is.

I just need to buy or build a different rifle for a different purpose and load for this one as I'm sure it will shoot great as it shoots pretty good now considering the 8 power scope and overall light rifle.

Thanks
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.