Rem 700 30-06 Upgrade

I'm in the "do nothing" camp if it shoots halfway decently. If I had to do something to it though, I might go with a 21" or 22" 338-06, Remage w/barrel nut in a sporter barrel, no brake and a fixed 6x scope. Heck, maybe even a 1 moa red dot.
hmmm... that would be interesting

.280 Remington would be my vote. It's a .30-06 case necked down to 7mm. If the rifle is already chambered for .30-06 it would be a very very easy transition as you would only have to change the barrel. The bolt face and magazine wouldn't need any modification. The big plus is you would be able to enjoy all the really high BC bullet offerings of the 7mm caliber.

.280 Remington would be my vote. It's a .30-06 case necked down to 7mm. If the rifle is already chambered for .30-06 it would be a very very easy transition as you would only have to change the barrel. The bolt face and magazine wouldn't need any modification. The big plus is you would be able to enjoy all the really high BC bullet offerings of the 7mm caliber.
straight .280 or AI?

You seem to be opposed to reloading. If that's the case I'd probably leave it a 30-06. Maybe put a criterion profit if it shoots poorly and a new stock and optic. 280 would be a fine choice but factory loadings are pretty scarce.

I've been thinking about re-barreling a 22" barrel 30-06 I have,so I have been thinking about what to have a new barrel chambered for.I thought about the 280 versions but I already have several 7mags and a lot of brass and I just be trying to chase the 7mag with the 280.I have a lot of 30-06 brass and a 24" and a 28" barrel 30-06.I really cannot think of another cartridge I'd rather have than the 30-06 based on the bolt face of my rifle.Based on the wide range of bullets I can shoot in it and all the load data I already have,I think I'd be chasing rainbows trying to out do the plain Jane 30-06.The 28" barrel I have will get better than 3000fps with 168gr bullets with ease and the 24" will do 2900fps with the same bullet and load.I'm seriously thinking about going with a 26" barrel on my next one.

You seem to be opposed to reloading. If that's the case I'd probably leave it a 30-06. Maybe put a criterion profit if it shoots poorly and a new stock and optic. 280 would be a fine choice but factory loadings are pretty scarce.
Not really opposed to reloading but just inexperienced with it. I have dies for most of my rifle/pistol calibers. My biggest problem with it is finding time to do it. At this point I'm stuck between deciding on leaving it as a 30-06 or changing over to the .280AI. I didn't really need the rifle but helping someone out so now I'm stuck with another rifle! ha.

straight .280 or AI?
Straight .280. It's going to be a preference deal. I'm personally not a fan of AI cartridges. Most of the time the velocity gains are marginal and if you want to go faster might as well go with a magnum. I don't like sharp shoulder angles because they don't feed as smoothly from magazines and I don't like messing with fire forming brass. Straight .280 has premium brass available from Norma and if your in a pinch you can always neck down .30-06 cases and turn the necks if needed.

I had a 30-06 that I had re-bored to a 338-06.It is some serious fire power pushing 200gr bullets a little over 2800fps.Make all my cases for it using once-fired 30-06 brass with one pass through the reloading dies.

Try a 35 Whelan, it's a thumper. Or open up the bolt face and make a 450 marlin. I have one that I made on a short action works great but now wish I would have used a long action. I've used it for many years on midwest whitetail. Shoots real nice out to 300yds.

Since you have a gap in cartridges between.308 and 6.5, and a standard long action, I'd choose either a straight 270 Winchester or a 280 ackley. Don't mess with the Sherman stuff it's not worth it for a short barreled truck gun. Especially since you are not experienced at Reloading and a set of dies will cost you as much as that rifle did. There are now more and better factory loads for the 280ackley than there are for the 280 Remington. And it is a favorite 7mm for a lot of people. The 270 is the king of factory loads and a fantastic all around cartridge. If you want to do some precision Reloading without the fire forming a straight 284 win will be cool too. In fact it will probably be the most efficient with a short 20" or so barrel.

Same here, shoot it , see, then upgrade as needed

Such a broad selection of bullets in 30 Cal you can go light , straddle the middle or go heavy with a rebarrel
I highly recommend LRI Iain Sturgis, South Dakota , no one comes close to Chad's attention to detail, skill set and creativity

Enjoy it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.