Rem 700 30-06 Upgrade

Jzeman56

I decided to pick up a Rem 700 in 30-06 from my wife's nephew to help him out. So I'm thinking of using this as a new project. I have a 300 WM, 6.5, 25-06, 5.56, .22... looking for something to fill in between those calibers but unsure what caliber I want to go with. I'm also considering making this a truck gun for the lease.

Supposedly its only been taken hunting twice (only shot once) and not fired except for when it was zero'd...

Any suggestions on caliber/barrel length? Would like something to fill in the gaps of what I have listed above... although I could probably just get rid of it and put a new barrel on my old 1886 Winchester and use it as a truck gun?

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_110532.jpg
    IMG_20190121_110532.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 327
By truck gun I was thinking something a little shorter but I guess my AR would fit that bill too... Will have to look into the .280 Sherman.. not familiar with it

I've been reading reviews on the .280 and .280AI but can't find much on the Sherman. forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the 3? Sounds like the Sherman would require reloading.
The .280 Remington came first. Then P.O. Ackley improved it, with the .280 AI. Then Rich Sherman created the .280 Sherman, which is an even more improved version of the .280 AI, that allows you to get the absolute most performance from the .270 Win parent case that you use for forming. Of course, I think now, Rich has proper headstamp brass for the Sherman and SS cartridges.

The .280 Sherman gives you nearly 7mm RemMag performance from the standard .473" bolt face (same as .270 Win, .30-06, etc...).

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/280-sherman

"IF" it shoots as-is for your intended purpose (truck gun), I'd leave it be since it is until it is time to re-barrel.
right.. I haven't taken it out to shoot yet. Just picked it up Saturday evening and don't have any ammo yet.. but will see how it shoots. It might be a good shooter with a new stock/scope.

right.. I haven't taken it out to shoot yet. Just picked it up Saturday evening and don't have any ammo yet.. but will see how it shoots. It might be a good shooter with a new stock/scope.

You'll never know, it might meet your truck gun requirement as-is. I have a 6.5x55 Swede carbine (18" barrel) topped with Leupy 3-9x40 as one of my truck gun. It is currently zeroed at 200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.