Reloading Manuals on Low side????

Mule

I do not have any old reloading mannuals prior to the lawyers getting to them but I would like to know your opinions on the following observation.

The peak listed loads are about 10% below what most people use for good velocity and accuracy without pressure signs. Is this a good observation or just a fluke and where do most reloaders wind up going if this is a "fact" when developing a new load.

Thanks

Mule

The Loading manuel load are at the SAAMI max pressure when they develope thier loads.With the personal ballistics labs and the Strain guage pressure equipment there has been several articles published that has shown loads well over SAAMI max presure and not showing excess pressure signs that reloaders have relied on for decades as an indication. Each rifle is unique and if your are not above normal velocity for your cartridge and bullet then you are probable not above SAAMI max pressure even if your load is over the recomended max in your manuel.If you are shooting higher than normal velocity then odds are good that you are above max SAAMI presure.......... Many shooters and I am guilty as well have loaded and shot many rounds that are above SAAMI Pressure specs. The 338 Laupa brass is a good example as it is very strong and lends itself to being able to stand very high pressure loads and give realitively long case life as well......
icon_beer2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The Loading manuel load are at the SAAMI max pressure when they develope thier loads.With the personal ballistics labs and the Strain guage pressure equipment there has been several articles published that has shown loads well over SAAMI max presure and not showing excess pressure signs that reloaders have relied on for decades as an indication. Each rifle is unique and if your are not above normal velocity for your cartridge and bullet then you are probable not above SAAMI max pressure even if your load is over the recomended max in your manuel.If you are shooting higher than normal velocity then odds are good that you are above max SAAMI presure..........

[/ QUOTE ]

100% true.

When I started into this reloading business, I aimed for high velocity, now I've changed the focus to :

1) Safe loads
2) Reasonable velocity
3) Accuracy
4) Mechanically perfect under every condition ( extraction and ejection )

best regards, Gus

[ QUOTE ]
The Loading manuel load are at the SAAMI max pressure when they develope thier loads.With the personal ballistics labs and the Strain guage pressure equipment there has been several articles published that has shown loads well over SAAMI max presure and not showing excess pressure signs that reloaders have relied on for decades as an indication. Each rifle is unique and if your are not above normal velocity for your cartridge and bullet then you are probable not above SAAMI max pressure even if your load is over the recomended max in your manuel.If you are shooting higher than normal velocity then odds are good that you are above max SAAMI presure.......... Many shooters and I am guilty as well have loaded and shot many rounds that are above SAAMI Pressure specs. The 338 Laupa brass is a good example as it is very strong and lends itself to being able to stand very high pressure loads and give realitively long case life as well.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... Not so true...

The loads in loading manuals are are determined the same way as you and I do... by reading the common signs. When you look at the test gun, it is very rare that you will see "Universal Receiver"... what you will see is common rifles that are off the rack, being used to test loads.

That is why four different loading manuals will give you four different max loads for the same cartridge - bullet - powder combination.

Strain gauges are not universally calibrated, so they are only suitable for comparisons of different loads in the same gun barrel, but not the same cartridge in two different labs.

Use caution in working up loads. Guns will vary in max usable loads because of variances in the throat, or leade angle... each rifle is a new set of variables.

Catshooter

So how did you arive at your loadings (recent post) on the 264 win mag with 95 gr V-max bullets that you started at several grains above the max in the reloading books (H4350 max at 60/61 gr from memory)

Thanks

Mule

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter

So how did you arive at your loadings (recent post) on the 264 win mag with 95 gr V-max bullets that you started at several grains above the max in the reloading books (H4350 max at 60/61 gr from memory)

Thanks

Mule

[/ QUOTE ]

The ol' fashioned way... I started low, and went up in 1 gr increments, until I saw the usual signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.