reloading manuals/ books

TBuckus

A few questions about books;

1. I've reloaded shotshell for years, but new to rifle. Would a book be beneficial vs. online?

2. Are there more recipes in brand specific books than what is available online?

Example, On the Barnes website, they usually have only two recipes per bullet weight. Would their manual have more recipes?

3. If books are a must, do I need each manufacturers? Is there one better than others?

I would recommend getting two books:

I like Lyman as it has a variety of bullet and powder mfgs.

Then one from the bullet mfg you use the most.

With two books, you have a frame of reference to compare different loads. In some cases, you will find some interesting differences between max loads - its a good back check to keep you conservative. Another upside is that they have "how-to" sections to help you pick up some best practices and tips.

I also use the Hodgdon/IMR/Win website a lot for a 3rd comparative data point. They have a ton of load data at a lot of bullet weights, and you can print them easily.

Great hobby, enjoy it and load safe!

I personally have manuals from about all the makers, Sierra, Nosler, also have a Lyman manual or two, and I just bought a new Hornady manual two days ago. It's important to have as many references on hand to use as a comparison when you are in UN familiar territory. Also, with the abundance of powder makers out there, some of the manuals can't list them all, but in the other manuals it usually will give mention to it for you. Get your hands on as much loading info as possible, these are our" bible" to reloading. The front sections are always interesting reads as well.

Similar background, shotgun for over 15 years before metallic. I reloaded over 100,000 12 gauge 1 oz target loads on a MEC Jr. and not one bad shell may I add, thank you MEC.

Metallic is different. Many say it is not rocket science but for me it is darn close.

Of note, I had a mentor help me get going with 38 Specials a few years back, great start. A mentor is a good thing if they know what they are doing. My first mentor was safe and competent but I have since learned there are different, maybe better ways of doing things.

Books - by all means you cannot read enough. Lymans was one of my first. ABCs of Reloading is another favorite, many recommend it, I think it was one of the telephone techs at Sierra or Sinclair that put me onto it. Sierra's manual is packed with info as well. My next read will be Nosler because I want to try their bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.