Redding Dies an Upgrade?

I contacted Hornady and will see what they say about these rings the die is putting on my brass along with the fact after a few firings, the brass gets stuck in the die unless I add a lot of wax.
Buy a Redding Body die and a Lee Collet die or get a Forster Set.

I have all hornady dies except for one rcbs small base die set for .223, I do beleive in cleaning all dies on a regular basis and a polish every so often because dirt and dust can affect all dies. As for a upgrade I would choose forster over redding. As for my hornady dies I have no problems but as I say clean-polish and lube as you would your rifle as needed.

I have all hornady dies except for one rcbs small base die set for .223, I do beleive in cleaning all dies on a regular basis and a polish every so often because dirt and dust can affect all dies. As for a upgrade I would choose forster over redding. As for my hornady dies I have no problems but as I say clean-polish and lube as you would your rifle as needed.
I clean my dies but never thought of lubing them.Makes all the sense in the world,we lube everything else,why not the dies?
I will from today on!
Thanks Grey Goast

I contacted Hornady and will see what they say about these rings the die is putting on my brass along with the fact after a few firings, the brass gets stuck in the die unless I add a lot of wax.
Rings around the case will be from the chamber as others have already said. A rough die will make lines the length of the case. I had a Hornady die that made lines on my .41 mag brass. I sent it back to Hornady and they polished it for me and sent it back, with a new piece of brass that they ran through it so show it was fixed. The die was over 30 yeas old, and I am sure I scratched the inside. They would not accept payment, but called it warranty. I have Redding dies also and don't think you can go wrong with them.

I have seen the lines that run the full length on the die and can usually polish that out myself but I did have to send a RCBS die back as the lines were pretty deep.They recommended a separate decaping die and run brass through the brass cleaning media before putting the brass in a die and since then I have not had a problem.
So if the markings on Quite Texan's brass is from rough chamber I'll not cast dispersion on Redding dies ever again.
Thanks guys

Last edited:
My "upgrade" is a combination of dies. The chamber in the barrel I am now shooting, none of my dies are "perfect". For instance the forster full length bumps the shoulder back 006 by the time the webbing area is properly sized. For this chamber I use a redding body followed by a forster bushing bump and mandrel after that. A true upgrade for me would be custom dies from fired brass or a casting. I have some of the marks / scratches described but never paid much attention to them. Should I? Always felt they were cosmetic and didn't matter much.

Last edited:
So if the markings on Quite Texan's brass is from rough chamber I'll not cast dispersion on Redding dies ever again.
The lines in my picture are absolutely, without a doubt, 1000% caused by the die. Anyone saying the lines on my cases are caused by the chamber is wrong, flat out, sorry Charlie. I can prove it because I have cases from the exact same box as the two in the picture that do not have the lines on them, that have been shot as many times as the cases with the lines, the only difference is they were sized after the die had been polished. I have an entire second batch of cases with no markings on any of the cases at all because they were sized in the polished die.

I obviously don't know for sure about the OP, but I know for a fact that the rings on my cases are not caused by my chamber. I also don't see where anyone said my lines were from the chamber directly, but just wanted to be very clear about my picture.

I have similar marks and they came from my chambers not the dies .Polished chamber with a wooden dowel with 300 wet and dry problems solved.
Sorry guys I didn't read the hole thread before commenting