Redding Dies an Upgrade?

General RE LEE

I've been loading with Hornady dies with acceptable results and in some cases, excellent results. I anneal my brass on an AMP so I rely on the consistency from the AMP to set neck tension.

I am not crazy about the Hornady die for my 6.5 PRC. It bumps shoulder fine and cases do chamber, but it's leaving marks on my brass. Would buying a non-bushing Redding die with a floating carbide button be a worthwhile upgrade?

I struggled with the same decision a while back. I went with the Redding Comp S bushing die set for a new chambering. Also replaced my 308 Win dies with a Redding. I really like the body die and the seater dies by Redding, but not sure if it was really worth the $$$. If your current set up is working but scratching your brass, it just comes down to the amount of angst in brass beauty you are willing to tolerate.

I've been loading with Hornady dies with acceptable results and in some cases, excellent results. I anneal my brass on an AMP so I rely on the consistency from the AMP to set neck tension.

I am not crazy about the Hornady die for my 6.5 PRC. It bumps shoulder fine and cases do chamber, but it's leaving marks on my brass. Would buying a non-bushing Redding die with a floating carbide button be a worthwhile upgrade?

Yes , Redding bushing dies are great and allows , desired neck tension by using different bushings . I remove the expander and size down too the chosen bushing .

I contacted Hornady and will see what they say about these rings the die is putting on my brass along with the fact after a few firings, the brass gets stuck in the die unless I add a lot of wax.

Attachments

• 6A092B4A-4AC5-490B-AD3E-8D9EF5767623.jpeg
    6A092B4A-4AC5-490B-AD3E-8D9EF5767623.jpeg
    978.7 KB · Views: 339
Mine are mostly RCBS or Forster, have a couple of Reddings, used Hornady and Lyman also over the years, can 't say for sure they are worth what they want for them, one of those items that you don't know til you try, everybody has the odd dud out there, some people are brand ho's, others, that is what is on the shelf in their area.

I had the same brass-marking problem in a Redding body die recently. Die was really tight and grabbed at the brass. I got a pack of felt points to put on a Dremel, coated one up with Flitz, and very little at a time polished until the marks went away. I used two sizes of the spitzer-looking points - one for the body and one for the shoulder area.

Did I change the die dimensions? Eh probably not with polish and how lightly I had to hit the die, but if it did change anything then 1) the die works significantly better now, 2) brass life hasn't seemed to suffer, and 3) gun shoots better on the resized cases than it did the first time through, so it didn't hurt anything.

If you end up messing it up, the die was trash to start with so you aren't out much. At most a replacement if Hornady throws a fit about you trying to fix their mistake.

Hornady dies are fine, I have dozens of them sitting on the shelf next to my fancy Redding and Whidden and SAC and bloogah-bloogah something-fancy dies - they're a good value at the price point, very similar to how a lot of what Lee makes is low-cost but not "cheap". This is probably a case of a worn reamer or a chip getting stuck when the die was cut, could happen in any die. You'd hope QC would catch it, but Hornady does a lot of volume and a lemon is bound to turn up somewhere occasionally. I was able to fix mine, I don't feel like Redding owed me anything since it was a simple job.

Amazon Link to Felt Points

If you want to buy a Redding, I think they make good quality dies, especially mic seating dies. But I also wouldn't give up on what you have already, if only just to try to look inside it and see if it can be made to work instead of pitching it.

Last edited:
I contacted Hornady and will see what they say about these rings the die is putting on my brass along with the fact after a few firings, the brass gets stuck in the die unless I add a lot of wax.
Id have a look in my chamber. Had a similar problem with my 250ai. Turned out it was a rough chamber. It could also be a die issue also.
what about Forster dies?

If you're talking about the circular rings, that looks to me like they came from the chamber. The linear marks would come from the die. Sometimes the circular rings don't become visible until the sizing action burnishes the case body.

I prefer the Forster competition seating dies because they have a thicker seating stem and are stronger for compressed powder loads and they have finer adjustment threads that only adjust .025" for one complete revolution vs. .050". I use only Forster (neck honed), RCBS and Redding sizing dies. Honestly my older RCBS Competition sizing dies (black) have the least amount of runout amongst them, but some dies size the neck more than needed, some size the base too much and some squeeze the shoulder in too much. I have 3 resizing dies for the 223 Rem and the Forster is used for the 223 Wyle/5.56 AR, and the RCBS is used for the bolt action. They were chosen based on how closely they matched the fire formed brass and unfortunately buying them to try is the only option because like barrels they are all different even amongst the same brand.

As mentioned a really good cleaning when new and every year and then some polishing with Flitz on a bore mop chucked in a drill, drill press or lathe does wonders on smooth resizing.

Last edited:
Yes Redding is an upgrade over Hornady dies for sure, Hornady dies are generally rough inside. They generally work, but I won't buy them anymore, I buy Redding and Forster exclusively for commodity dies.
Totally agree Redding is the way to go, the S type bushing dies give the choice of your desired neck tension.

Recent Posts