recommendations

bast0573

I'm fairly new to extreme long range shooting and have never entered any shooting competitions. I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks about a good rifle. I have a pretty extensive history with guns and ex military. My downfall... I Dont know anything about optics. I've read forum after forum on here when trying to match a grade A scope with the savage 338 lapua (which I wanted to get this week) but want to hear what rifle/scope combo you guys would get with a $3500 budget. I can go as high as 5000, but would like to stay around 3500-4000. I'd like a rifle and scope that I can use for hunting deer and bear and also able to enter some competition shooting. That may be a little much to ask, so if I had to choose between the two I guess I'd want it for competition shooting. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!

The type of competition will make a difference on the choices. If you watch the classifieds on LRH, Accurate Shooter, and Snipershide, there are some killer deals on custom rifles and scopes. Once I got a custom rifle and a Nightforce, my shooting greatly improved, and I haven't had the urge for a factory rifle since. Gary

The type of competition will make a difference on the choices. If you watch the classifieds on LRH, Accurate Shooter, and Snipershide, there are some killer deals on custom rifles and scopes. Once I got a custom rifle and a Nightforce, my shooting greatly improved, and I haven't had the urge for a factory rifle since. Gary

Yeah I've been looking at the classifieds on here and they do have some great deals. Some. I've found a nightforce nsx 5.5-22x50 online for around $1500 and people on here trying to sell the same thing, USED, for more!! I get that times are hard and trying to make some money, but they're trying to get back what they paid for it after using it for a year. Plus its more than a brand new one!! I'm at a loss for words for people like that. To be fair, I have seen some great deals on some customs rifles. I guess I'm really looking to find a Savage 110ba 338 lapua. Not sure if that's the right choice, but its just what I've wanted. That's why I'm asking on here. Maybe get some different opinions.

As for the type of shooting competition... I'm a straight greenhorn in that area. I don't know the differences between the f class and others. Any info would be very helpful!

There is a .338 Lapua for sale in the classifieds on this site. It was made by Jim See of Centershot Rifles. It has less than 150 rounds and shows pictures of great groups. Also load data. The money savings from not having to do load development will help pay for the rifle. In the long run this will make almost anyone happier than any factory rifle. This rifle has first class parts and Jim is a first class builder. On the scope issue, the ATACR are really nice. I own 5. The advantages over an NXS are approximately 20 moa more vertical adjustment and the glass is substantially better in lowlight conditions. I shoot mine out to 1400 yds. regularly and have not had to dial up over 38 moa above a 200yd. zero you are shooting in daylight conditions, an NXS will serve you well and good used ones are plentiful. Gary

I'm fairly new to extreme long range shooting and have never entered any shooting competitions. I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks about a good rifle. I have a pretty extensive history with guns and ex military. My downfall... I Dont know anything about optics. I've read forum after forum on here when trying to match a grade A scope with the savage 338 lapua (which I wanted to get this week) but want to hear what rifle/scope combo you guys would get with a $3500 budget. I can go as high as 5000, but would like to stay around 3500-4000. I'd like a rifle and scope that I can use for hunting deer and bear and also able to enter some competition shooting. That may be a little much to ask, so if I had to choose between the two I guess I'd want it for competition shooting. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!

This is the third time trying to answer this. Maybe I'm too old to use this thing! My experience has shown me that the 30 cals are good for punching paper and for hunting humans but not that effective for deer size critters at extreme distances. If you can, get a spotting scope or binoculars at least 10x ( more mag would be better) and sit behind some shooters and observe. something like a 6.5 x .300 wby vs. others and you will see for yourself that the 6.5 with a good 139-140 gr bullet at velocity around 3400 will look like a dart whereas the others will look like a guy lobbing a basketball. I used a 12x Unertl Ultravarmit and could outshoot my buddies with their 15x and up mag scopes in lower light conditions. There's my 2 cents for you. Been there done that!

FYI - 338 lapua are not allowed in most practical long range comps (max 300 win mag and 3150 fps velocity). Big magnums make spotting your own hits/misses difficult, burn barrels faster, and are more expensive to shoot. Getting to be a proficient long range shooter is more about practice and less about caliber. However, a short action 6-6.5mm (243, 260 Rem, 6.5 CM, etc) would be a good compromise of easy shoot ability and ballistic performance. A good 308 would also be a reasonable platform with which to learn and a variety of good hunting ammo/bullets available. If you really want a magnum and to compete, consider a 7mm RM/WSM or 300 win mag. Just remember, you may be shooting 150 rounds in a typical 2 day comp.

For optics, you need to read and decide if you want a FFP or SFP reticle scope. A 3-12, 3-15, 4-16, or 5-25 will all be adequate for comps if well made and have reliable turrets and internals. NF, Bushnell, Leupold, Schmidt & Bender, Steiner, Khales, Hensoldt, and Premier all make good to great tactical scopes that will get you in the game. Like most things, you get what you pay for in a scope but in general you can expect to spend anywhere from $1300-$4000 on optics.

For your rifle, if in doubt a basic 700 or savage will be a cheap initial investment. However, it may require a new stock, barrel, bolt knob, possible trigger job/group, bottom metal/mags, truing, and bedding to shoot/fit well.

I am partial to Sako TRGs. They require nothing and are extremely accurate and comfortable out of the box. They are an excellent value for the money invested when compared to a custom and are known to be very reliable in operation. You may be able to find a nice used TRG in the $2000s or new for around $3200.

Good luck,
TKAB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.