Barrel recommendations

Called Brux today, they don't offer the same contour as my Christensen which is a #3 featherweight, 10 month wait if they did which is better than 14 months that I'm finding many have. New plan is just shoot the **** out of it and when things start opening up I'll find a new rifle, probably custom to get what I'm looking for. Thanks for all of your opinions
Try Douglas. They're usually about 4 wks out. I've yet to see a Douglas that won't shoot with all the rest or even better. I have seen barrels from two big name mfrs that shouldn't have made it out the door, due to runout in bore. That'll happen at some point with almost any mfr, but how they respond is what sticks with me. On a side note, I have a 22-250 with an 85 dollar Adams and Bennett barrel from 30 yrs ago that will shoot in the .2's. Used to shoot one hole 5 shot groups, but she's a little long in the tooth.

Have you tried Bugholes.com? They have several in stock. You may have to be flexible on contours but there are lots of sites that have barrels in stock. You don't have to order direct from the manufacturer.

Attachments

• C916C2A1-F6E4-4549-98F8-8A1152AC2D3E.jpeg
    C916C2A1-F6E4-4549-98F8-8A1152AC2D3E.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 33
  • BF3D2FD2-4FF8-4166-9241-AE5B8F3BD3E6.jpeg
    BF3D2FD2-4FF8-4166-9241-AE5B8F3BD3E6.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2E9AB913-5779-44FC-93FF-6C8CCABE03CA.jpeg
    2E9AB913-5779-44FC-93FF-6C8CCABE03CA.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
If you don't want this barrel anymore please send us the specks and we may use it as a "Practice Barrel" to train young shooters on how rifles are built.
If you are changing out please PM us
Thanks
Len & Jill
I have several savage barrels that you could use to train with, not sure just what you may need.

I have used a lot of different barrels over the years, Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, Benchmark, Proof, Pac Nor, Douglas, McGowen. Shilen, and I am probably forgetting a couple. All have shot good. I have found that the most important part is the Smith that is chambering and installing the barrel. RIght now, I am choosing barrels based on availability between Bartlein, Brux, and Benchmark.

I have a 30 inch criterion 28 nosler in 8 twist that will shoot 180 bergers at 3330 fps and its Accurate out to 2000 yards. It was a 7 saum that I chambered out. I found that 150 hornady eldm shoot real will up to 1500 yards not sure if you would try a remage barrel with a nut but northland shooters supply might have something in stock.

Going to put a new barrel on my Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in .28 Nosler. Nothing wrong with my current barrel other than it's the factory 1-9 twist and I've developed a load that it really likes using Berger 195 EOL. Berger tech told me that the bullet will become unstable somewhere around the 700 yard mark, I can't remember the exact yardage but it was up there somewhere. Wondering if I should increase my barrel length, is there a benefit to a longer barrel, 28"-30", what manufacturers do you guys suggest, right now I'm leaning towards Brux
Don't increase length, go to a 8T barrel. I have a 7mag with a 8T 26" CF barrel by OMR(Oregon MTN Rifle) that loves 180 gr vld-h. I'd go 24 if I could do it again. But in no wind a 10" round plate at 1000 is very ez. Hold left edge and send it. I ran the numbers and with a 7mag the 180 vld-h didnt dift much more and was flatter.
I recommend you get Applied Ballistics and run numbers, you can go to the Berger site and use their stability calculator as well.
Brux, or any top teir barrel maker would be good. Criterion makes a barrel as well, I have a 6XC from them that shoots about half moa consistently as well(like the OMR).
And I'd probably consider the new 7 prc. It has 7mag ballistics pretty much/ slightly better, in a new modern case. For just LR hunting, 7mag/prc is all that's needed. Imo. You don't need more then 1200#'s of energy at 1000 yards. Any more imo is just added recoil.

Last edited: