20” 7mm CF Barrel Recommendations

Is the 284 loaded to 2.8? Also noticed you are talking 2 different bullet weights. All things being equal a 284 loaded to whatever pressure you are currently loaded to would be right at 2800 ft/sec with a 140.
I have not shot the heavier bullets in my 17" 280AI to give actual MV's.
When I do, I would be glad to share that.
I don't remember offhand what the overall length with the 162's is in my 284 Win is, but it is a single-shot, and the bullets are not seated deep.
I do know the 280 rem will out run the 284 Win, and the 280AI will out run the 280 Rem, all things being equal.
My old 18" 7 SAUM, ran the 162's at 2650. It was a mild load but very accurate.
My 18" 7mm-300 PRC runs the 190 Hybrid at 2786.

One can roughly figure about a 30 fps per inch gain in velocity as you get a longer barrel for the specs I have provided.

The 280AI will be plenty for 500-600 yard killing of big game with a 20" tube

Another option to keep in mind is the 277 fury will be out eventually. 2900 fps out of a 16" barrel. With a 20" barrel possibly over 3000 with a 150g bullet even more with a lighter one. I would keep going the route you are going with the 280 and 24" and pick up a cross in 308 until the fury comes out then it's just a barrel swap. I like my cross other Tha the 2 stage trigger but I would imagine there will be aftermarket eventually. Just one more thing to think about.
Be really careful suggesting an 80k psi pressure cartridge to be run in an action not designed for that case.

If you run it down to 60-65k psi like all the others, you just negated the case's design, and will get nowhere near advertised speeds.

I'm going to disagree somewhat with the statements about reduced velocity being super limiting at long range.

For example my 18" 7-300 wsm LRI is sending the 175 eldx 2800 fps, at my elevation of 3500' that gets me to 900 yards with an impact velocity of 1800 fps.
If I ran a 26" barrel and sent them 200 fps faster that'd extend the range by 150 yards to 1050.
If someone is hunting elk in open country where shots are expected to be 1000 + then yeah a suppressor/short barrel doesn't make much sense.

I think what most people are realizing though is that short light suppressed rifles offer a lot of advantages over long barreled braked rifles with deafening blast.
And that they can be just as effective for 95% of the practical shot opportunities that one will encounter in the west.
7.62 gunner what are the advantages in your opinion with a 20" suppressed over a 26" braked rifle other than noise?

Be really careful suggesting an 80k psi pressure cartridge to be run in an action not designed for that case.

If you run it down to 60-65k psi like all the others, you just negated the case's design, and will get nowhere near advertised speeds.
Lance it was not my intention to make that suggestion. My intention and I believe what I wrote was the option of buying a Sig Cross for a short suppressed rifle and when they come out with the 277 get the 277 barrel since they are interchangeable. The Cross actions are rated for the 80k PSI cartridge. I know the looks of them are not for everyone but once I hunted with it I had a hard time putting it down. If it was a 277 rather than the 308 it would make it even harder.

I'm not sure at this point what I'm going to do. I really like the idea of being able to switch barrels and probably will at some point buy a 20" barrel for hunting suppressed. Speed is definitely a consideration that I'm not wanting to sacrifice with this project. Once I get this one completely I may just start working on a true purpose built short barrel rifle for suppressed hunting. My hearing will appreciate range work with the 24" suppressed 280ai.

Lance it was not my intention to make that suggestion. My intention and I believe what I wrote was the option of buying a Sig Cross for a short suppressed rifle and when they come out with the 277 get the 277 barrel since they are interchangeable. The Cross actions are rated for the 80k PSI cartridge. I know the looks of them are not for everyone but once I hunted with it I had a hard time putting it down. If it was a 277 rather than the 308 it would make it even harder.
I reread, and you are correct. That was my mistake.
My apologies.

7.62 gunner what are the advantages in your opinion with a 20" suppressed over a 26" braked rifle other than noise?
Noise and blast reduction are the main benefits, and that cannot be over stated in most hunting scenarios.
Another benifit with the shorter ss barrels is you can get enough meat for 5/8×24 threads without having to get a heavy contour.
Also the shorter barrels will have less whip in lighter contours and can be extremely accurate. For example I'm running a factory contour 2lb barrel that shoots every load I've tried under .5

Noise and blast reduction are the main benefits, and that cannot be over stated in most hunting scenarios.
Another benifit with the shorter ss barrels is you can get enough meat for 5/8×24 threads without having to get a heavy contour.
Also the shorter barrels will have less whip in lighter contours and can be extremely accurate. For example I'm running a factory contour 2lb barrel that shoots every load I've tried under .5
Don't get me wrong I own 3 short barreled rifles and like them. Your statement "I think what most people are realizing though is that short light suppressed rifles offer a lot of advantages over long barreled braked rifles with deafening blast." was where I was skeptical. I agree a short barrel can be accurate and have their place but I still don't see short barreled suppressed having "a lot" of advantages over long barrels with brakes. Or that "most" people agree with this.

Don't get me wrong I own 3 short barreled rifles and like them. Your statement "I think what most people are realizing though is that short light suppressed rifles offer a lot of advantages over long barreled braked rifles with deafening blast." was where I was skeptical. I agree a short barrel can be accurate and have their place but I still don't see short barreled suppressed having "a lot" of advantages over long barrels with brakes. Or that "most" people agree with this.
Well your opinion is your own but I disagree strongly.
Apparently a lot of others do as well if you look at the trend towards hunting suppressed with shorter barrels

1 advantage. They don't have the deafening blast. Which can't be understated, but isn't a free lunch and that's where the advantages stop. Specifically when comparing say a 24" barrel to a gun of the same caliber with a barrel + suppressor with the same overall length.

Recent Posts