Barrel recommendations

buckrub30-378

Going to put a new barrel on my Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in .28 Nosler. Nothing wrong with my current barrel other than it's the factory 1-9 twist and I've developed a load that it really likes using Berger 195 EOL. Berger tech told me that the bullet will become unstable somewhere around the 700 yard mark, I can't remember the exact yardage but it was up there somewhere. Wondering if I should increase my barrel length, is there a benefit to a longer barrel, 28"-30", what manufacturers do you guys suggest, right now I'm leaning towards Brux

Bartlein appears to have some of the most trust on here. I have one and it shoots lights out. I just did a similar post for a semi custom I'm building. It will be a hunting rifle, so absolute premium was not a must. I went with Douglas due to lead time and reputation. Ordering was a breeze also...

Have you thought about just loading the 180? Faster than the 195s for sure.

I am all for upsizing/downsizing/boredom changes/etc., but torch that barrel and then replace it. Order the way you want it now, by the time the new one shows up it will be ready for the new one.
I have 600 195's currently shoots .137 consistent, accuracy comes before velocity for me

Going to put a new barrel on my Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in .28 Nosler. Nothing wrong with my current barrel other than it's the factory 1-9 twist and I've developed a load that it really likes using Berger 195 EOL. Berger tech told me that the bullet will become unstable somewhere around the 700 yard mark, I can't remember the exact yardage but it was up there somewhere. Wondering if I should increase my barrel length, is there a benefit to a longer barrel, 28"-30", what manufacturers do you guys suggest, right now I'm leaning towards Brux
If you don't want this barrel anymore please send us the specks and we may use it as a "Practice Barrel" to train young shooters on how rifles are built.
If you are changing out please PM us
Thanks
Len & Jill

I have 600 195's currently shoots .137 consistent, accuracy comes before velocity for me

Good barrels are usually pretty good with what ever you feed them. But if you are changing barrels, you may not get that again.

Accuracy without terminal performance is a target rifle...

It's your gun, just saying before you scrap it, run up a few and see how it does. Save the 195s for your high mountain hunt where they may stabilize or for your next barrel. It is a 28 Nosler, so another 600 180s and you are going to want another one anyway ;)

I would just shoot a different bullet. I have shot alot of elk with various 7mm bullets and the 195 eol is the worst I ever used ! I run them at 2940 with RL26 in a 9 twist Bartlein and had no problem with stability out to 1200 yards. Shot very well, but poor performce on game. They pencil hole. 180 vldh is a lot more lethal. ! 175 LRAB has been my best hunting bullet, regardless of distance. As far as barrels go, i have had good luck with 3 groove Lilja's in my 7 Saum, 300 PRC and 6 Creedmore.