Barrel recommendations

ATH

I want to build a 243 AI to shoot 80-110gr bullets on a 700 donor action I will soon be scouting the pawn shops for (one of the pluses of the current economy). I am looking for recommendations on a mid-range barrel -- ie I am not building a benchrest gun or a $3000 custom job, but a solid mid-level performer. I get consistent .5 MOA out of my factory Sendero and would be perfectly happy with similar or slightly better performance (with less barrel cleaning) out of this rifle.

In other words, I want a decent barrel but do not want to spend hundreds of extra dollars for a small incremental improvement in performance.

Suggestions??

There are several good barrel mfg's today. I mostly use and reccomend Kreiger, Hart, Brought and Lilja. I don't have toomuch experience with Bartlein barres to give an honest opinion but are believed to be just as good as the others. A 1-8 is used mostly for the heavier 100g plus VLD bullets. If you'd like to shoot between 80 and 110 grainers a 1-8.5 or 1-9 would work well also. Most barrel prices are real close to one another within a few dollars for pretty much whatever contour you'dlike up to a specific length. Is this going to be a light carry rifle or a mid range weight (12-15 lbs.) and bi-pod gun?

Have had great results from Krieger cut rifled barrels - very consistent. Very low fouling, very good accuracy and long life.

If you're going to have a smith true the action then chamber and crown a barrel, you might as well get a good barrel to start with.

I agree with the above barrell sugestions and would like add Rock Creek Barrels into the mix

Ath, I have a 1 in 8 Broughton that shoots the 115's like no other. I'd have a hard time not going the same route again. But like everyone has said there are plenty of top notch barrel makers out there.

This will be a mid-weight rifle, most often shot from a bipod (paper, coyotes and maybe sometimes take it out west for antelope). Another question is what is an appropriate contour? I like the contour on my Sendero, I do not want to get too light with it.

Will a 1-8 not shoot 80-87 grain bullets well? I have a strong desire to shoot the heavier 6mm V-max as well as the 110 DTAC.

Edited to add:

Please pardon my ignorance, I shoot a lot but everythin I own is either factory or self-accurized. I have never built a rifle or used a 'smith before.

I was looking at the Kreiger barrels, it appears you are ordering a blank. I assume the smith installing the barrel must thread the barrel for the appropriate action and cut the crown?

Last edited:
A 1-8 may, it may not like the 80 g. It will shot them it just might stabalize them as well as another twist could. I normally choose the bullet I intend to shoot the most and get the twist for that. If other weight bullets work, great. If not at least I know what I want to shoot mostly will work well.
You are correct about the barrel blank. It will come contoured to your choice and rifled from one end to the other. The smith will turn, thread, chamber, crown, and fit the barrel to your specific action.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.