Twist Recommendations

Pelicanpoint

Apologies if this has been discussed before.... I'm looking at doing a 257 Weatherby build. Will be shooting 110-115 gr. ammo at approximately 3400 fps. Looks like CarbonSix offers 7",9",10" twist and Proof offers 7.5" and 10". What would you guys recommend? Also, 24" or 26"? Thanks a ton in advance.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.... I'm looking at doing a 257 Weatherby build. Will be shooting 110-115 gr. ammo at approximately 3400 fps. Looks like CarbonSix offers 7",9",10" twist and Proof offers 7.5" and 10". What would you guys recommend? Also, 24" or 26"? Thanks a ton in advance.
That depends on the bullet you are going to use. I went with 1:7" on my .257 WBY.

Will be shooting 110-115 gr. ammo at approximately 3400 fps.

Factory or reloads? (cross typing during your answer)

Factory ammunition will usually be loaded for 1:10" twist to accommodate more of the existing rifles made with the 1:10" twist rate. Sales will be much higher.

Longer, more modern bullet designs such as the Badlands 110 gr. could use the 1:7" twist. The longer (heavier Hammers) same thing.

The old reliable cup and core bullet designs should work well in that same 1:10" twist. The only factory load I found questionable was the Remington 122 gr. SP Extended Range. The lot I was shooting could've used the 1:9".

If you might want to try some of the Blackjacks or 133/135 Bergers, the 1:7" is the only way to fly!

Enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
Factory or reloads? (cross typing during your answer)

Factory ammunition will usually be loaded for 1:10" twist to accommodate more of the existing rifles made with the 1:10" twist rate. Sales will be much higher.

Longer, more modern bullet designs such as the Badlands 110 gr. could use the 1:7" twist. The longer (heavier Hammers) same thing.

The old reliable cup and core bullet designs should work well in that same 1:10" twist. The only factory load I found questionable was the Remington 122 gr. SP Extended Range. The lot I was shooting could've use the 1:9".

If you might want to try some of the Blackjacks or 133/135 Bergers, the 1:7" is the only way to fly!

Enjoy!

:)
Sorry guys for the vague request. Let me give you some more info. I plan on shooting factory ammo, which from what I can find, will be traveling around 3400 fps +/- a few. Also, I plan on building this on a Defiance Rukus with one of the above mentioned barrels.

I'd go with 1:7. That'll allow you to shoot the heavier options and also if you wanted to shoot light Hammers you could do so. Hammers can't be spun too fast and the faster the better IMOA. You would have a laser beam out to 400 that would have devastating terminal performance.

I'd go with 1:7. That'll allow you to shoot the heavier options and also if you wanted to shoot light Hammers you could do so. Hammers can't be spun too fast and the faster the better IMOA. You would have a laser beam out to 400 that would have devastating terminal performance.
That's great if you want to box yourself into shooting monos but the OP already stated he would be shooting factory 110–115 grain factory ammo. That twist rate will not work well with traditional cup/core bullets.

That's great if you want to box yourself into shooting monos but the OP already stated he would be shooting factory 110–115 grain factory ammo. That twist rate will not work well with traditional cup/core bullets.
Point well taken and I was out of line with the OP. I couldn't help myself from throwing that out there because of Roy's original intent of creating the 257. If he'd have had the bullet options then that's available today, things would probably have been a little different. The 257 is the only Weatherby I don't have and have an Accumark on the way for my 11 year old daughter. It has a 1:10 and my intent within a few years is to replace the tube with a 1:7 for those reasons.

I think I'd go 1-7.5" twist polygonal for the "really" heavy, longish bullets, the key is; to bring enough barrel. It would seem that the 1-10" twist still works well up to 120grs, always has in the .257 Wby Mag, again 26" plus barrel. Just my 0.2 Cheers

Recent Posts