Recommendations for Long Distance Shooting sitting?

I like the Hog Saddle. I just used one to take a nice deer that I had to wait on for 1 1/2 hrs. for him to get up. The shot was longer than I usually shoot but was comfortable with the equipment I had.
The set up was a Hog Saddle on a tripod and the rear of the stock was supported with 2 back packs. I was sitting with one leg through the legs on the tripod.

A lot of good ideas so far guys. I carry the Primos Pole Cat Steady Stix. They are simple aluminum poles with 3 sections shock corded together like tent poles. They are extremely light and portable so easy to carry around all day. The biggest attribute for my style of hunting is that they adjust to uneven terrain almost infinitely and they are very quick to set up. They do take some practice to get used to them.

At our shooting classes with Non-Typical Outfitters students bring their own shooting sticks of all different styles and brands. We also offer the use of the Pole Cats. By the end of every single class session to date pretty much everyone has switched to the Pole Cats. Granted we are shooting on very uneven, mountainous terrain.

Right after I shot a bull a couple weeks ago during our LRH Group Elk Hunt my guide James offered to take some pictures of my shooting position. It was a very steep side hill that would have been much easier for a lefty to set up on. The bull was in a small opening in the timber 450 yards across the canyon and he wasn't going to stay out in the open long. In fact, just as I got set up the first time he moved across the opening and just out of sight. I had to hustle about 75 yards and set up again as quickly as possible.

In addition to the sticks I leaned my right leg against James' pack up against a tree and used my pack on my lap as a rear rest. I actually had to ask James to lean into my left side as well to give me some additional support.

We teach lots and lots of positional shooting with sticks and tripods, etc. during our classes so anyone who is interested in learning some great new techniques for long range shooting from sitting positions should consider joining us next summer. Here's some information about the classes including lots of great pictures of seated shooting positions. Class dates for next year haven't been finalized yet but we'll let everyone know when they are.

Andy-Position-2.jpg

Andy-Position-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok after watching that video a bunch of times and doing some searching I found out he was using a Triclawps (around $100) and a Vanguard Atlas Pro carbon fiber tripod with ball head (~$300). The hog claw is pretty expensive and seems like the triclawps does the same thing so I ordered that.

However in my search I came up with the Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod. That's pretty reasonable priced around $100 total with tripod. Anyone with experience on this?

How does this compare to the $400+ set up with a high end tripod?

However in my search I came up with the Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod. That's pretty reasonable priced around $100 total with tripod. Anyone with experience on this?

No hands on experience but held one at my LGS. The one on display is the magnum version (Magnum DeadShot® FieldPod - Battenfeld) and weighs 13 lbs and very bulky for my liking, but that's just me. If you're willing and able to lug it around, then it should serve you well.

[ame]https://youtu.be/iEkbWyVCcEM?t=80[/ame]

Good luck!

I have a set of Primos shooting sticks that I bought from Cabela's for $80 a couple years, but then I tried my dad's "squirrel" sticks that he put together from 3 five foot steel-core vinyl tomato sticks with a ball bungee that can slide to the desired height from sitting to standing. They are actually lighter than the Primos and have the forest green colored vinyl that has never scratched my rifle. I think the 3 sticks and bungee cost about $10. (And they make a good walking stick too.)

If I needed an arm rest while sitting, I think I would just buy one more tomato stick, cut it in half and put a bungee tightly around that. You could spread it under your arm pit at whatever height you need it, up to about 2 1/2 feet. Any store that has a garden department would carry these.

Killed a bull this past Monday in a position almost the same as Andy's above, mine was a little steeper down hill. Rifle forend was supported by my Bog Pod tripod. I have the size that is not quite tall enough for standing, unless you bend at the waist. It is short enough to be handy on the side of a pack when collapsed or stored on the bottom side of my fanny pack. also short enough to shoot prone with the pack or fanny as the rear bag. The yoke pulls out and you can use a couple of different ball head attachments for a spotter or camera. So one tripod is all you need to pack and lastly. you can extend the legs to use as a walking stick or if you need two you can unscrew a leg and use it in the other hand. Take a look.
Best
Idahoorion

I have been using the Primos trigger stick tripod. It worked fine but not great, but it is fast. This year I learned to hunt without it since someone stole it. I learned to rest my rifle on my pack with the pack standing up,this only works with a framed pack. But I'm still looking for something better for longer shots. I found this and am going to try it
Web Store - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC

I've been running a PIG Saddle with a Sirui T-2005x Tripod and Sirui K-20X Ball Head for about a year. On the range I have printed MOA groups out to 1066 yards using this system from both kneeling and seated positions. The system is almost as steady as prone bipod supported with a rear bag. The versatility is unmatched in my opinion. It can adapt to level in any terrain. Be used for any field firing position you can dream up from sitting to standing. The ball head allows fast and effortless aiming and can be locked in on target. It's packable. When glassing for game, my rifle sits in it ready to go. When your used to the controls of the tripod, ball head, and saddle it can be set up in about 30 seconds. I have fired many rounds off this system from .243 to 7mm RUM with no durability issues. It will handle heavy rifles too. My .260 weighs 16 pounds, and it handles it no problem. Biggest thing is not buying a janky tripod and head. HOG Saddle recommends Manfrotto head and tripods that are load rated between 15-20 pounds. I overkilled the load ratings of my tripod and head. The Sirui tripod is rated for 26.5 pounds and the Sirui head is rated for 55 pounds. I double screwed the saddle to the head adpater so it can't be twisted off the threads.

Hi guys.
Regarding shooting from the seated position, if you get the setup correct it's a very solid position. If you have the luxury of a support/bipod/sticks/whatever, all the better. There are a number of configurations which work and the ones which suite you will depend on your body type, flexibility and general fitness. The rule is to always strive to use three points of support to maximise stability ( assuming a front rest of some type ) A setup which works for me and is one of my go-to options depending on the terrain and type of support is support the fore-end with the rest if you have one, use both knees with the shooting hand elbow on one knee and the butt resting on the other knee with the left arm wrapped around the front of the knee. Shooting from the seated position is one of the basic positions that always comes up in Veldskiet ( Field Shooting) competitions there in South Africa so you have to have mastery of it if you intend to be competitive. The trick is to do a huge amount of practice using various types of rest ie log, single stick, bipod, hay bail etc and work out what position set up works for you and then get it ingrained into your training. Time spent in training and preparation is never wasted :)
Since a picture is worth many words, here is a pic of myself and one of my very good friends competing in the Southern Cape Open at the beginning of October 2016 and shooting a seated stage at 5 separate 200mm gongs at various and unknown ranges out to 350m ( time limit 120 sec) As you can see we each have our own preferred setup but the fundamentals are the same.
Hope this helps.
Regards from Cape Town
Trev

Attachments

• 3unspecified.jpg
    3unspecified.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 161
That magnum looks too heavy for my liking... Seems the Max has legs long enough at half the weight. It actually looks like a pretty cheap tripod so I might just buy the fieldpod for the head and use a nicer base tripod...

No hands on experience but held one at my LGS. The one on display is the magnum version (Magnum DeadShot® FieldPod - Battenfeld) and weighs 13 lbs and very bulky for my liking, but that's just me. If you're willing and able to lug it around, then it should serve you well.

https://youtu.be/iEkbWyVCcEM?t=80

Good luck!

I have come up with a different approach to use a bipod and a set of Rudolph optics quad sticks for shooting seated. I bought the quad sticks after reading Len's review of them a year or two ago. I tried them but found several shortcomings that I didn't like. For one, they are not good for a flat bottom stock like most of us use for long range shooting, the V shape cradle works better with a traditional hunting stock with a round fore end. Secondly the elastic cords are way too tight and make it difficult to set up and keep set up. And finally the thing keeps pulling itself together after you have it set up. Others had said to use the sling swivel studs to keep the forward end in place, however on a MCST the sling swivel does not contact the crotch of the quad sticks. I liked the concept and even with the shortcomings have been able to make accurate shots out to over 1,000 yds, but I decided to try and improve on them.
First I painted the gloss paint green and black web. Then I cut off one of the elastic bands to reduce the tension. Then I set out to find a way to attach it to the rifle. I ended up making a bracket to attach a small tripod ball head to a picatinny rail quick release mechanism. I then cut the top ends off the front legs of the quad sticks and made a bracket to mount the ball head to the quad sticks.
Now I am able to go hunting with my quick release atlas bipod attached to the rifle and if I encounter a seated shooting situation I can quickly remove the atlas and snap on the quad sticks. Then I can use the atlas as an adjustable monopod for the rear of the rifle. This essentially turns the rifle into a tripod and is very stable.

Attachments

• IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 130
For what you've described, you might want to look at the Bog Pod Extreme Shooting Rest and their tripods (or their Super Steady kit, which is tripod and two different rests).
I have one of their tripods, and their regular shooting rest, but have switched to a different set-up for my hunting needs.
Nearly all of my hunting is spot and stalk, and much of it is backpack hunting.

For a light, inexpensive, versatile option, you might want to consider using a Bushnell universal bino adapter on your tripod, which allows you to use your tripod for bino glassing and then immediately use it as a shooting rest.
The Bushnell universal bino tripod adapter costs less than $20 on amazon, and is a lightweight, fabric-covered,flat square, approx. 4x4", that mounts to a tripod via a quick release plate.
The bino adapter includes a buckled strap to hold binos onto the adapter - not the strongest, fail-safe system, but functional if you're reasonably careful.

I use my binos on the adapter for glassing, but then I can immediately pull the binos off and use my tripod as a solid shooting rest, because the 4x4" adapter is a flat plate.
I use a ball head on my tripod, so I can quickly and easily adjust the adapter to remain flat and level (for bino glassing or shooting).
And with a quick release plate on the bino adapter, I can quickly/easily switch between the bino adapter and my spotting scope.

For backpack hunting, I'm currently using a Slik Sprint 150 tripod (about $60 from B&H Photo). small and lightweight, but not as stable as a heavier tripod, of course.

For a sling, i'm currently using a TAB Gear sling, which has a detachable, adjustable loop that snugs around your bicep for stability, i.e., a potentially more refined, adjustable version of wrapping your arm into your sling.

Also, the back of the TAB Gear sling is about 4" of reinforced webbing, so that you can use it as an improvised rear rest when shooting prone.

One downside to the TAB Gear sling is that the large plastic QR buckle can be noisy, so I dampened the noise by putting some fuzzy-side Velcro on the outsides of the buckle.

good luck with your search.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.