Shooting groups at distance

Yeah I had mentioned about that exd, my gunsmith is meticulous about making sure that the scopes are perfectly mounted and aligned, the only thing is it costs everytime I wanna do something different so I purchased one of these and it works great for me, I never really realized how much my vertical crosshair was off until I used the exd. Its hard to expain but if you look at a photo of it you'll know what i'm talking about, but basically all your doing is keeping your rifle perfectly level according to your scopes vertical position, from there, using a plumb bob, (with the ring screws loose) you just rotate your scope till your vertical crosshair is perfectly aligned with the string of the plumb bob. I usually set up the plumb bob about 20 or 30 yards out, if you have a shed or a garage you could just hang it from the ceiling so the wind doesn't have it swinging. I personally think its pretty important to have cause once you start dialing for really long shots your adjustment is gonna move either left or right the further out you have to adjust for, depending on how the crosshair is off. Also, if you have a scope level you're gonna want to mount it also using this tool so that everything is in line together.

Also, with regards to using levels that you set in the action and then on the scope, I kinda think the exd may work a little better, just my opinion, because assuming that the tapped screw holes in the action for the scope mount is perfectly aligned with the bore thats basically what this tool levels off of, and thats pretty much what you are wanting is to be in perfect alignment with the center of the bore. Hope this helps you, sorry if my explanation is confusing.

after I set my scope with level and a plum line and I am sure that I have everything perfect I shoot my guns in @ 100 yards. Depending on what I am using the gun for I set it from 0- 1" left @ 100 yards to account for spin drift. Next after I zero the scope I run it to the top end and shoot it on a gridded target to make sure the scope is tracking properly and also to insure that when I move the scope say 40 MOA it goes perfectly vertical and then returns.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts