Better Groups at Distance

DoneNOut

Is it just me? šŸ¤£ Take a round I'm dancing around with group sizes at MOA and slightly over at 100yds then print sub minute at 500-600yds with same round. I set parallax correctly each yard mark too. Wonder why?

bullet settles down and goes to sleep, per say? I have seen the same thing. With my 6.5 PRC my groups can be same size at 100 yards as they are at 300 yards. With a 156 Berger best I have is 9/16" with RL 25 at 300 yards.

Is it just me? šŸ¤£ Take a round I'm dancing around with group sizes at MOA and slightly over at 100yds then print sub minute at 500-600yds with same round. I set parallax correctly each yard mark too. Wonder why?
see this fairly often with the vld type bullets as was stated the bullet has not settled down yet

Last edited:
I think it is more about the shooter settling down. I am not sure if I subscribe to the 'bullet settling down' theory. At 100 or 200, I think we may be 'trying too hard' to make that one ragged hole group and may tense up without knowing it. At further distances, I know I seem to be more relaxed and seem to execute the fundamentals better.

I don't see that with my rifles. I have so very accurate 1000 yard comp rigs that shoot in the zeros at 100 yards. They typically shoot about 1/2 at 300 yards at my home range. At 1000 yards I'm happy with 5 inch groups with 10 shots. If my rifle shot better the further out it got I would be banging 1 inch groups at 1000 yards. It's very possible to have a good 1000 yard tune that doesn't shoot great at 100. In that case then yes your farther groups moa might be smaller but I don't find that to be the case for me.
Shep

I think it is more about the shooter settling down. I am not sure if I subscribe to the 'bullet settling down' theory. At 100 or 200, I think we may be 'trying too hard' to make that one ragged hole group and may tense up without knowing it. At further distances, I know I seem to be more relaxed and seem to execute the fundamentals better.
I tend to agree with this. Bryan Litz did an experiment on bullet yaw and corkscrew behaviors as it exits the muzzle. To the best of their findings, the bullet never deviated from the flight path more than the size of it's own caliber size. The main reason for the experiment was to test the effects of a bad or inconsistent muzzle crown. No matter how horribly they damaged the muzzle, the same still applied. No greater deviation in flight than the size of the caliber itself.
They also found that this deviation lasted typically no longer than 10yds from the muzzle. By that theory, the bullet is well asleep by the time it hits 100yds.

I just read the Houston warehouse project and they found no science to back up the bullet shooting better at distance. If they shot a .100 group at 100 yds it was a .200 group at 200 yds. I am sure there are people who will argue differently. All I will say is prove it. I too believe it is the aiming that causing this phenomena to occur.

A it's a fiction that long vld bullets won't shoot tiny at 100 yards. My 1000 yard rifles shoot as good at 100 yards as any 6ppc I ever owned. Now these rifles weigh 17 and 77 pounds so they are easier to shoot than a 10.5 pound ppc.
Shep

I tend to agree with this. Bryan Litz did an experiment on bullet yaw and corkscrew behaviors as it exits the muzzle. To the best of their findings, the bullet never deviated from the flight path more than the size of it's own caliber size. The main reason for the experiment was to test the effects of a bad or inconsistent muzzle crown. No matter how horribly they damaged the muzzle, the same still applied. No greater deviation in flight than the size of the caliber itself.
They also found that this deviation lasted typically no longer than 10yds from the muzzle. By that theory, the bullet is well asleep by the time it hits 100yds.

Glad you posted this. The bullet doesn't settle down , it is human error. Litz went on to determine that at longer distances your are more focused on a smaller target therefore you are shrinking down your groups.

They powering down your scope when shooting at 100 yards , if you focus on a smaller target you will see your groups shrink at 100 like you would aiming at the same target sitting at 300 yards.

I used to think the same way, then Frank Galil at Snipershide schooled me, hard!

Use less power at 100 yards. That's why all the benchrest guys shoot 36x and up at 100 yards. They only shoot 6x in one class that restricts you to that power. The easier it is to see what your aiming at the easier it is to hit it. What's the first thing you do when you go to shoot a group. You turn the power up so you can see your target easier. The only time you turn your power down is if there is too much mirage at the higher power.
Shep

It's your brain, you're worried about your 100yd to much and your mind isn't clear. Further out you don't mind so much and settle down naturally. There have been tests disproving the bullet going to sleep theory.

I agree with this and with everyone saying similar. I am more calm shooting my plates at distance than that F'N paper dot at 100!

I remember reading about this phenomenon in the context of military shooting competitions btw Brits and US service members. The Brit .303 rifles supposedly didn't 'settle down' at the shorter 100y or meter range.

I never could see how it was possible - the bullet doesn't know where it was at the supposed transition point where it 'goes to sleep!' Was it at 12:00 or 5:00? I can see a case where a bullet does 'settle down' and the rate of deviation decreases, i.e. the bullet does not continue becoming MORE inaccurate after a certain point.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.