Recommendations for Long Distance Shooting sitting?

jeephunter

I'm trying to improve my sitting position for hunting between 400-700 yards with a 308 rifle. Often I cannot get into prone because I am on the side of a hill or in tall grass so sitting is my only option. However sitting is not that stable for me and I cannot reliably make 1.5 MOA hits (eg 6" at 400 yards, 10.5" at 700 yards) with sitting because my crosshairs are too jumpy. I have no problem with those distances from prone or shooting from a bench.

I have a trigger stick bipod as well as a long sitting versapod gun attached bipod but it also seems a bit too jumpy. I'm thinking of changing to a tripod.

Any suggestions for a tripod? I was thinking in addition to use as shooting platform if it could also be used for my spotting scope / binoculars then that would be a big plus. I was thinking of the primos trigger stick tripod - what are other people using?

Due to my build, I have a hard time putting my elbows into my thighs but what I've seen is some people use shooting sticks for the back of the gun or hug their backpack under their elbows in the sitting position.

Any tips for sitting and shooting long distance?

Stoney Point tripod with polecat rear leg kicker.
Have taken game out to 820 yards with that setup.

I shoot off sticks using my trekking poles (they are always with me, do double duty, less gear to carry) and find that getting some kind of lateral support for my upper body makes a big difference. The pack under the arm trick is good, or leaning sideways against a suitable object (tree, rock, etc) has enabled me to make pretty consistent hits at 700 or so. Another trick you can use is a large belt or rope loop of suitable length placed around your knees and torso can make your knees into a rock solid support for the elbows. My deer dragging rope has served that purpose once or twice- practice it beforehand, as with any other improvised shooting position. If you are going to pack a tripod and your sticks, having the pod up front and the sticks under the toe of the stock also settles things fairly well. Another alternative is four-point sticks. There is a commercial version on this site from Rudolph (I think I am remembering that right ) or you can make your own. A set of sticks, a pair of trekkers, and two small bungees can whip up an improvised four-pointer pretty quickly in the field...

I currently use my Trigger stick bipod as a walking stick/pole also. I'm thinking I could go triple duty with a tripod eg also use it for optics. Just need some suggestions for different ones. Stoney point doesn't seem to have any reviews on amazon...

Also after my last hunting trip, something I noticed with a bipod shooting stick like the trigger bipod is that it's ok for quick shots in close but if I need to sit and wait for a few hours, I get tired and if I move at all then it will slip off rocks and fall over. I think a tripod with the third leg would be a lot more stable for these situations. I was watching a bedded deer for several hours waiting for it to get up and was sitting on a hill facing down and shooting across a canyon.

I really like the Trigger Sticks Tripod. You can always use a bipod under the butt for additional steadiness if you need it.

I prefer to brace my back or shoulder against a tree and shoot off of one knee using the other as a brace for my elbow. If I'm in an area where the grass is so tall I can't I'll use a light bipod for a rear rest.

Have you thought about a variation on the classic Creedmoor prone? Some have referred to it as the dead frog position.

Basically laying on your back with the rifle barrel between your legs, knees out and feet planted using the bipod to support the rifle, with your back pack as support so you are semi reclined, I find it works on hills and there is minimal strain on your back.

A lot of silhoutte pistol shooters are using a form of Creedmoor prone for long range.

I have also used the full Creedmoor with an 1867 Remington rolling block in 50-70, using my crossed legs as support for the barrel at the midpoint, my left arm behind my head with the hand on the butt for recoil support and then looking thru the Soule sight, with my right arm straight out from the shoulder and elbow bent hand assuming an almost regular shooting position and voila a stable position for shooting at that , from 1000 thousand yards perspective, itty bitty target.

Was going thru my log book and I have a variation that doesn't use a bipod, with the hip on the ground, knees bent, almost fetal and upper body running up hill rest the forearm of your rifle on your thigh, upper body slightly twisted, then bring off hand across body under or infront of your chin and grip the upper stock, the toe of the stock will be partially settled against your shoulder, does work easier with pistol grip stocks, but will work on a conventional stock. The scope eye relief may be a factor with this and the previous position, but they do work and I have used them with high magnification scopes.

Hope this helps.

Have you thought about a variation on the classic Creedmoor prone? Some have referred to it as the dead frog position.

Basically laying on your back with the rifle barrel between your legs, knees out and feet planted using the bipod to support the rifle, with your back pack as support so you are semi reclined, I find it works on hills and there is minimal strain on your back.

A lot of silhoutte pistol shooters are using a form of Creedmoor prone for long range.

I have also used the full Creedmoor with an 1867 Remington rolling block in 50-70, using my crossed legs as support for the barrel at the midpoint, my left arm behind my head with the hand on the butt for recoil support and then looking thru the Soule sight, with my right arm straight out from the shoulder and elbow bent hand assuming an almost regular shooting position and voila a stable position for shooting at that , from 1000 thousand yards perspective, itty bitty target.

Steel-toed boots probably wouldn't help much I'd think!!

The problem I have with this sitting position is that I have a long torso and shortish arms. When I put my elbows on my thighs I can't get my neck/head into a position to see through the scope... I was thinking of using the pack to give me a bit more height so I can straighten my back out a bit but will need to experiment. Hoping others have some experience or tools to make this better.

Also taking 1 shot is ok in any position but often while hunting it's a waiting game. Waited 3 hrs for a bedded deer to stand up and could only see him through the scope and then only had a few seconds of shot opportunity or I'm watching a bedded deer behind high foliage then hope he gets up and walks through a clearing.

This page seems to have some good tips: https://www.gunwerks.com/blogs/long-range-magazine/shooting-positions

I just need recommendations for what tripod to get. The one he has seems pretty good...

Cross Ankle Position is best.....unless you have a BIG GUT!!

Cross Ankle Position by Sharps Man, on Flickr

On my pack I strap a small folding stool, in my pack I have a medium SLIK tripod with shooting rest. Then I use my homemade shooting sticks for a walking stick. All kinds of shooting rests available to get into either a quick shooting scenario or a longer distance setup. It also can go from prone to up high by sitting on a stool and having the rifle supported both up from and the rear...and anything in between.
I also use the tripod/shooting rest with my binos or spotter for glassing.

Steel-toed boots probably wouldn't help much I'd think!!

Just wear leather gaiters if the barrel is short, protects you from muzzle blast.

Work boots are great for when you use the cross footed version of the Creedmoor:D muzzle is usually about 4-5 inches past the soles.

That position is hard to do with most modern rifles because the barrels' on today's rifles are too short, my RB has a 36 inch barrel on it, makes the traditional Creedmoor or Supine shooting position a tad bit easier and with a crazy carpet beneath you on the ice a heavy loaded 50-90 (700 gr Postell bullet)that my friend uses for buffalo will move you backwards a bit with each shot gun)

The problem I have with this sitting position is that I have a long torso and shortish arms. When I put my elbows on my thighs I can't get my neck/head into a position to see through the scope... I was thinking of using the pack to give me a bit more height so I can straighten my back out a bit but will need to experiment. Hoping others have some experience or tools to make this better.

Also taking 1 shot is ok in any position but often while hunting it's a waiting game. Waited 3 hrs for a bedded deer to stand up and could only see him through the scope and then only had a few seconds of shot opportunity or I'm watching a bedded deer behind high foliage then hope he gets up and walks through a clearing.

This page seems to have some good tips: https://www.gunwerks.com/blogs/long-range-magazine/shooting-positions

I just need recommendations for what tripod to get. The one he has seems pretty good...
For your application I think even more important than the tripod you choose is the head and mount that you pair with it.

The "Hog Saddle" gets extremely good reviews and they recommend several different ball heads to go with it.

Here's a pretty good article on tripods for long range shooting.

The 4 Best Hunting Tripods -- Shooting Tripod Reviews 2016

I've tried several and so far I haven't come across one I like better than the Primo's Gen II trigger Sticks tripod. The ease and speed of adjustment and stability in a light weight package is tough to beat.

Admittedly my application is a little different than yours in that I use one primarily for spot and stalk hunting rather than sitting and waiting for an ambush or for a bedded animal to get up and move.

I tried a couple of those that support the entire gun on both ends and found them less stable than using a single point of contact especially when paired with a bipod under the rear end and tripod in front.

I'm trying to improve my sitting position for hunting between 400-700 yards with a 308 rifle. Often I cannot get into prone because I am on the side of a hill or in tall grass so sitting is my only option. However sitting is not that stable for me and I cannot reliably make 1.5 MOA hits (eg 6" at 400 yards, 10.5" at 700 yards) with sitting because my crosshairs are too jumpy. I have no problem with those distances from prone or shooting from a bench.

I have a trigger stick bipod as well as a long sitting versapod gun attached bipod but it also seems a bit too jumpy. I'm thinking of changing to a tripod.

Any suggestions for a tripod? I was thinking in addition to use as shooting platform if it could also be used for my spotting scope / binoculars then that would be a big plus. I was thinking of the primos trigger stick tripod - what are other people using?

Due to my build, I have a hard time putting my elbows into my thighs but what I've seen is some people use shooting sticks for the back of the gun or hug their backpack under their elbows in the sitting position.

Any tips for sitting and shooting long distance?

Check out the Double Cross Large to augment your bipod capable of extending to a seated position.

[ame]https://youtu.be/LFABTc-UND8?t=73[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.