Recommendations for Long Distance Shooting sitting?

The Outdoorsman in Phoenix area makes a tripod with a great system for glassing w/binos or spotting scope. It has a pistol grip top (one of several options) and with a squeeze of the lever you can turn the pistol grip sideways and it's got a spot on the side that becomes a rifle rest. It's light, extremely fast and very packable. I backpack hunt and spot and stalk a lot and I take this tripod system everywhere I go. They even have a quick release adapter for your binos. It's quick to set up and glass or turn the pistol grip sideways (as in seconds) for use as a gun rest. Doesn't solve the problem of supporting the butt of the stock, but I use my backpack for that. The tripod has two sections on each leg that telescope and the adjustment is easy and quick and locks in place. Each leg has an additional feature which is a button at the top of the legs that allows the legs to flare way out in order that you could make the tripod almost flat so you can shoot prone or very low to the ground.

This system is the best I've seen and I've looked at most of what's out there. The one downside is expense. They are proud of these things but let's face it folks, you've already invested a bunch of dough on your rifle, your optics, your ammo, your tag, your hunt, your travel...what's another approx. $500? They are proud of the product but it's really, really well built. It's light, very durable and works great. If you haven't seen it, I'd encourage you to take a look. And they have 3 different height tripods from which to choose. I love them!

Even just as a tripod and glassing system I think it's the very best. I've had carbon fiber tripods etc and this is just as light or lighter and the head is awesome and great with which to glass. A solid shooting platform too so long as you use something else under the back end of the gun stock. And you don't have to take your optics off the top of the tripod to shoot from it!

The Outdoorsman in Phoenix area makes a tripod with a great system for glassing w/binos or spotting scope. It has a pistol grip top (one of several options) and with a squeeze of the lever you can turn the pistol grip sideways and it's got a spot on the side that becomes a rifle rest. It's light, extremely fast and very packable. I backpack hunt and spot and stalk a lot and I take this tripod system everywhere I go. They even have a quick release adapter for your binos. It's quick to set up and glass or turn the pistol grip sideways (as in seconds) for use as a gun rest. Doesn't solve the problem of supporting the butt of the stock, but I use my backpack for that. The tripod has two sections on each leg that telescope and the adjustment is easy and quick and locks in place. Each leg has an additional feature which is a button at the top of the legs that allows the legs to flare way out in order that you could make the tripod almost flat so you can shoot prone or very low to the ground.

This system is the best I've seen and I've looked at most of what's out there. The one downside is expense. They are proud of these things but let's face it folks, you've already invested a bunch of dough on your rifle, your optics, your ammo, your tag, your hunt, your travel...what's another approx. $500? They are proud of the product but it's really, really well built. It's light, very durable and works great. If you haven't seen it, I'd encourage you to take a look. And they have 3 different height tripods from which to choose. I love them!

Even just as a tripod and glassing system I think it's the very best. I've had carbon fiber tripods etc and this is just as light or lighter and the head is awesome and great with which to glass. A solid shooting platform too so long as you use something else under the back end of the gun stock. And you don't have to take your optics off the top of the tripod to shoot from it!
Yes great system. The outdoorsman sells a rear Rifle support arm for your tripod. Works great!!

Something I just picked up was this Tribe Provisions Ultralight stool. This thing is pretty great! It weighs 12oz and is pretty comfortable for me to sit on. However it opens up several new unconventional positions that are very stable and very fast to get into:
1) while sitting on the stool, my knees are higher up than a regular chair (like a semi-squat but supported under my butt) eg I can rest my elbow on my thigh and put my gun comfortably ontop of my left hand since it's supported all the way down to my knees then into the ground
2) while sitting on the ground, I can deploy my short prone bipod on top of the chair and comfortably shoot from sitting with the bipod higher up - previously in this position I need a different sitting bipod or bipod sticks
3) while sitting on the ground, I can sit cross legged and put my left elbow into the chair and rest my gun on top of that for an alternative to 2 - #2 is still more comfortable long term since pressure isn't on my arm for hours.
4) I can rest the entire gun stock on the stool and and get an elevated prone position if you need to fire up hill and need more elevation in the front of your gun than the bipod can supply.

Haven't gone to the range but I glassed through my scope some far away targets and all these are pretty stable. To help out even more, I took my bino X case and used it under my right shooting arm elbow while sitting as an addition rest and it works great.

I'm still going to see how the tripods work in the field but I'm really liking this chair as it's a lot lighter than any other options I have on order.

I have come up with a different approach to use a bipod and a set of Rudolph optics quad sticks for shooting seated. I bought the quad sticks after reading Len's review of them a year or two ago. I tried them but found several shortcomings that I didn't like. For one, they are not good for a flat bottom stock like most of us use for long range shooting, the V shape cradle works better with a traditional hunting stock with a round fore end. Secondly the elastic cords are way too tight and make it difficult to set up and keep set up. And finally the thing keeps pulling itself together after you have it set up. Others had said to use the sling swivel studs to keep the forward end in place, however on a MCST the sling swivel does not contact the crotch of the quad sticks. I liked the concept and even with the shortcomings have been able to make accurate shots out to over 1,000 yds, but I decided to try and improve on them.
First I painted the gloss paint green and black web. Then I cut off one of the elastic bands to reduce the tension. Then I set out to find a way to attach it to the rifle. I ended up making a bracket to attach a small tripod ball head to a picatinny rail quick release mechanism. I then cut the top ends off the front legs of the quad sticks and made a bracket to mount the ball head to the quad sticks.
Now I am able to go hunting with my quick release atlas bipod attached to the rifle and if I encounter a seated shooting situation I can quickly remove the atlas and snap on the quad sticks. Then I can use the atlas as an adjustable monopod for the rear of the rifle. This essentially turns the rifle into a tripod and is very stable.

I built my own quad sticks for under $30 and they work from seated to kneeling to even standing. I can shoot off of them nearly as well as a bench out to 500 yards so far.

Take a look at the Javelin Kapita Tripod system. Obviously long range shooting requires stable rest of both the front and rear of your gun. There is no seated position that gives you that stability like the prone position UNLESS you have equipment to support both the front and the rear of your gun. I am sure some hunters can get to a good position moving their pack around and situating over the course of several minutes but it is never as good as if you had a couple of bipods or some other equipment. Because of the way this Javelin Kapita system attaches to itself and your rifle you can use it so many ways. It converts from two trekking poles to a front monopod, bipod, or tripod. I like putting a bipod on the front and using the third leg as a monopod for the rear of my rifle. It is a rock solid setup. They even make a device you can flush mount in your gun so it is never in the way.

I can go from a spotting scope on a tripod to a bipod on the front and monopod on the rear in seconds because it attaches via magnets that fit and hold securely in place. Similarly, I can be hiking using my trekking poles and go to a solid standing position over a monopod, bipod or tripod in seconds.

The best thing is now you have two trekking poles, a tripod for your spotter, a tripod for your rifle, a bipod and monopod for your rifle or binos and it all weighs just over a pound. . . . I'm looking for the best equipment to use on some sheep, goat and bear hunting adventures i have planned over the next two years. I think this is the cats meow for solving the most important part of the pack puzzle. . . getting all the stability you can justify hiking with

Plus one on the Outdoorsman Tripod with their short rifle rest. This is rugged, yet lightweight gear. Just shot my first buck with it. It's very pricey, but very compact and light. The legs are adjustable over enough angles to compensate for sitting on a hillside. I've tried several of the Primos variants and this beats the pants off of them all.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripods/products/outdoorsmans-short-tripod

You will also need their tripod head and rifle rest.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripod-accessories/products/outdoorsmans-rifle-rest

Looks interesting. Have you actually used one? I'd buy one to try out but I'd want to return it if it fails expectations as it's pretty pricey...

Take a look at the Javelin Kapita Tripod system. Obviously long range shooting requires stable rest of both the front and rear of your gun. There is no seated position that gives you that stability like the prone position UNLESS you have equipment to support both the front and the rear of your gun. I am sure some hunters can get to a good position moving their pack around and situating over the course of several minutes but it is never as good as if you had a couple of bipods or some other equipment. Because of the way this Javelin Kapita system attaches to itself and your rifle you can use it so many ways. It converts from two trekking poles to a front monopod, bipod, or tripod. I like putting a bipod on the front and using the third leg as a monopod for the rear of my rifle. It is a rock solid setup. They even make a device you can flush mount in your gun so it is never in the way.

I can go from a spotting scope on a tripod to a bipod on the front and monopod on the rear in seconds because it attaches via magnets that fit and hold securely in place. Similarly, I can be hiking using my trekking poles and go to a solid standing position over a monopod, bipod or tripod in seconds.

The best thing is now you have two trekking poles, a tripod for your spotter, a tripod for your rifle, a bipod and monopod for your rifle or binos and it all weighs just over a pound. . . . I'm looking for the best equipment to use on some sheep, goat and bear hunting adventures i have planned over the next two years. I think this is the cats meow for solving the most important part of the pack puzzle. . . getting all the stability you can justify hiking with

Here's some pictures of my PIG Saddle with Sirui tripod and ball head.

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4385.jpg
    IMG_4385.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 129
I have just started using their products this year as I began to gear up for some trips to Alaska and became more concerned with weight. I always used harris bipods and was worried about their weight. This solution is lightyears better than everything else i considered. I continue to be shocked at how responsive they are. I got a call the next morning when i asked for some specific info and have stayed in touch as I develop my gear list. The owner is an avid sheep/ goat hunter/ mountaineer hunter. He and I have talked a lot about his products and I think he is dedicated to making sure hunters like me have the very best equipment. For instance, i think he is going to work on a handle attachment that goes on top of the trekking poles to make it easier going down fully loaded. He's also got a setup that allows you to convert the rig into a tent for additional weight savings. There is a local guy in California that handles folks that want to become dealers and I am sure if you were dissatisfied he would work with you. I haven't been dissatisfied so i don't know what their policies are in that regard but based on my dealings I don't think it will be a problem.

I'd recommend getting two of the skinny/ flat adapters that replace your two swivel studs and allow for your sling to still attach. You can get the feel of how you like to utilize the device and then order your gunsmith adapters and mount them exactly where you want them. I put one in above the swivel stud and one in the palm bottom and it works great for the combo of bipod in front and monopod in rear for my rifle. I also like their bipods (different from using the tripod as a bipod). I use these for benchrest shooting. They are so light I pack one just in case i am hiking and want to throw one on. Its a different feel than the kapita and i think they compliment each other well.

I have just started using their products this year as I began to gear up for some trips to Alaska and became more concerned with weight. I always used harris bipods and was worried about their weight. This solution is lightyears better than everything else i considered. I continue to be shocked at how responsive they are. I got a call the next morning when i asked for some specific info and have stayed in touch as I develop my gear list. The owner is an avid sheep/ goat hunter/ mountaineer hunter. He and I have talked a lot about his products and I think he is dedicated to making sure hunters like me have the very best equipment. For instance, i think he is going to work on a handle attachment that goes on top of the trekking poles to make it easier going down fully loaded. He's also got a setup that allows you to convert the rig into a tent for additional weight savings. There is a local guy in California that handles folks that want to become dealers and I am sure if you were dissatisfied he would work with you. I haven't been dissatisfied so i don't know what their policies are in that regard but based on my dealings I don't think it will be a problem.

I'd recommend getting two of the skinny/ flat adapters that replace your two swivel studs and allow for your sling to still attach. You can get the feel of how you like to utilize the device and then order your gunsmith adapters and mount them exactly where you want them. I put one in above the swivel stud and one in the palm bottom and it works great for the combo of bipod in front and monopod in rear for my rifle. I also like their bipods (different from using the tripod as a bipod). I use these for benchrest shooting. They are so light I pack one just in case i am hiking and want to throw one on. Its a different feel than the kapita and i think they compliment each other well.
Moving your sling attachment points to the flat side of the rifle (off bolt side) makes for a whole lot more comfortable and secure carry and then you don't have to worry about it.

Moving your sling attachment points to the flat side of the rifle (off bolt side) makes for a whole lot more comfortable and secure carry and then you don't have to worry about it.

Whoever the idjit was that put sling mounts on the bottom of stocks I wish was still alive so we could tie him up and beat him.

Pics of the kapita setup. Didn't have a spotter with me this am but used a bino attachment that I show you here. That is a heavy rifle that I don't pack with. . made for long range shooting. I have it set up for ground shooting and then if you were standing in those pics. Whole system weighs a little over a pound

Attachments

• IMG_5713.JPG
    IMG_5713.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5714.JPG
    IMG_5714.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5715.JPG
    IMG_5715.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5716.JPG
    IMG_5716.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 129

I just read your post and im very interested on how you made this work for the rear monopod. im needing 1 leg that can be adjusted from 17" to 22" (in those parameters) this will be used in my seated position for rear support. also I saw i could use gunsmith adapter or universal rifle adapter for just one leg?? thanks for the help and feed back

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.