Recoil Bedding; Attempt on HMR

I took a swing at bedding the recoil lug on my Bergara HMR today. I used JB Weld and Imperial sizing die wax as the release agent. I taped the bottom of the lug only.

Can someone asses my lug recess? I pulled the barreled action after 6 hours to clean up the excess. It seems I probably tightened it up in there which would be a good thing.

Pics
Woah friend! Take some suggestions here and redo, imo. I don't pull the action out of mine for at least 24 hrs no matter what I use!

Follow up. This Bergara HMR 6.5 PRC is a hunting rifle. I took a doe with it yesterday evening with a perfect heart shot and confirmed zero this morning. It's right under an inch MOA at 100 yards and I dialed it out to 200,300 and 500 and it center punched the steel. I can tweak my load and maybe get it tighter. This might not be a bench rest shooter but it's certainly serviceable. I don't think I will mess with it anymore.

Attachments

• 3400D3F2-E1C4-47BF-AC5E-B198E7C31B04.png
    3400D3F2-E1C4-47BF-AC5E-B198E7C31B04.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 5EC8A450-C0B5-4FAE-AA51-1F882B0FE763.jpeg
    5EC8A450-C0B5-4FAE-AA51-1F882B0FE763.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Pretty much all mine are done like this, unless the stock doesn't have pillars yet, then I usually drill the holes for the pillars, attach them with the action screws to the action with very light torque, and drop the whole thing in. Sometimes I put just the pillars in first, then the action bedding, just depends. This was just the most recent one. I carefully clean up the overflow with a wet Q tip while the bedding is wet. Let it cure for a few days. Final clean up is with a dremmel, cutter bit, and a steady hand.

View attachment 425720View attachment 425721View attachment 425722View attachment 425723View attachment 425724View attachment 425725

For the Devcon, I go by weight, using an accurate scale. 1:9 ratio steel putty and harder.
I was looking at a Boyds stock the same color as the one you have. But I was looking at the agility. I like the fact you can adjust the stock for LOP & Cheek weld. I have no prior experience with their stocks. But for the price I was thinking of giving it a go. It will be for the Savage 17WSM BBL. So bedding is going to be needed. I ordered the metal trigger guard also. But not sure, just yet, if I need to order any other upgrades before I bed ? Anyone with prior experience to one of these feel free to chime in. I was thinking of using the factory stock & just try to beef it up *& give it a quick paint job. As that would be cheaper & make for a lighter rifle. But I really like wood.

I was looking at a Boyds stock the same color as the one you have. But I was looking at the agility. I like the fact you can adjust the stock for LOP & Cheek weld. I have no prior experience with their stocks. But for the price I was thinking of giving it a go. It will be for the Savage 17WSM BBL. So bedding is going to be needed. I ordered the metal trigger guard also. But not sure, just yet, if I need to order any other upgrades before I bed ? Anyone with prior experience to one of these feel free to chime in. I was thinking of using the factory stock & just try to beef it up *& give it a quick paint job. As that would be cheaper & make for a lighter rifle. But I really like wood.
I have used quite a few boyds. That blue one I showed my cousin ordered with their pillars installed. Personally, I wouldn't order one again with their pillars, they aren't very big, and I like the larger diameter ones I usually use. Plus I had to remove material from the recoil lug area so the action could scoot back enough to get the pillars to align with the action screw holes anyway. The stocks themselves have been a really good budget option, especially on rimfires, but I would just make my own pillars personally. Actiin inletting has been good, and have only had to do minor barrel inletting on some. Here is another one I did on a boyds, my father in laws rifle.

20220702_150559.jpg
20220909_151906.jpg

Follow up. This Bergara HMR 6.5 PRC is a hunting rifle. I took a doe with it yesterday evening with a perfect heart shot and confirmed zero this morning. It's right under an inch MOA at 100 yards and I dialed it out to 200,300 and 500 and it center punched the steel. I can tweak my load and maybe get it tighter. This might not be a bench rest shooter but it's certainly serviceable. I don't think I will mess with it anymore.
If you're happy, then we're happy. ;)

I have used quite a few boyds. That blue one I showed my cousin ordered with their pillars installed. Personally, I wouldn't order one again with their pillars, they aren't very big, and I like the larger diameter ones I usually use. Plus I had to remove material from the recoil lug area so the action could scoot back enough to get the pillars to align with the action screw holes anyway. The stocks themselves have been a really good budget option, especially on rimfires, but I would just make my own pillars personally. Actiin inletting has been good, and have only had to do minor barrel inletting on some. Here is another one I did on a boyds, my father in laws rifle.

View attachment 425981View attachment 425982

She's a beaut' Clark

I have three Boyds and like them all. I have one model with the adjustable LOP & cheek weld, the At-One Model, and while it is nice it is also very heavy compared to the other two.

Was this after the 2nd attempt and grinding out the material under the barrel?

Good job!

Everyone needs to remember that it's an improvement from where it began with a factory rifle. Could it be better, yeah, does it need to be? Up to the individual. You'll probably get an itch now that you've started on a path for better accuracy. With a practiced shooter a 1 MOA gun will still nail an elk at 500 yards. Everyone's accuracy needs are different. Mine are half that or better, but we are talking two different levels of expectations.

Your goal was to make it shoot better which it looks like you achieved and had a well placed shot on your deer. Good job.

I wish I had photos of all the "first timers" bedding, threading, or chamber jobs that didn't look pretty, but they worked as intended and were vast improvements for each person.

While I wish everyone would send me their rifles to get bedded, barreled, etc, I commend the guys that want to learn how to do it themselves.

Keep at it, read as much as you can, take in as much info as you can and if you do it again, or anything else for that matter, you'll have a better idea of what to do. I modify my procedures from time to time to try and achieve perfection. The only time you should stop learning is when you're dead.

I learned the other day that if you take a orange tootsie roll and a vanilla one together at the same time, you get an orange Creamsicle flavor one.... who knew!

I have three Boyds and like them all. I have one model with the adjustable LOP & cheek weld, the At-One Model, and while it is nice it is also very heavy compared to the other two.
Thanks the At-One is what I'm looking at. I'm not to concerned with weight. Thanks

View attachment 425981View attachment 425982
I saw this rifle when you were building it. Lovely piece. I can hope mine turn out half as nice. lol

So I did a thing last night. I'm going to shoot it with bedding removed again. Heat gun, flathead screw driver and dremel.

I noticed with all the bedding cleaned up, the barreled action rocks on that recoil lug. I seated the lug firmly against the back of the channel and torqued action screws down 55 lbs.

Anyone know if the bottom of the HMR recoil lug channel is metal or just the stock polymer?

Attachments

• 81200213-84ED-4C1F-9BF7-AE0A1C3024A4.jpeg
    81200213-84ED-4C1F-9BF7-AE0A1C3024A4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54