Rebarrel a Christensen or sell?

For what it's worth, spent about a year going back and forth on buying a CA in .308 versus a few other rifles. There were enough discussions of accuracy issues with the CA that I decided against it. Bought an X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .308 for less than $1K and it's a 1/2 inch gun with factory ammo. You might pick up a used one or even something like a Savage (mine are very accurate) as a backup for you CA issues.

After doing all that, I in mentioned, in Post 70 and many others, have mentioned.
Buy some "good" ammo with, good, "secant ogive" Bullets in them, LIKE,..
Sierra's, or, Hunting / Hybrid, Berger's and most Noslers, in 165 / 168 grain, persuasion.
Federal, usually makes, great Ammo !
As some Barrels have, weird / sharp "Throat angles" and won't shoot, "all" bullets,.. well.

Last edited:
I had a Bergara 300wm that I sold a few months ago because I couldn't find ammo and it cost too much when I did. So I bought a Christensen arms mesa 308win because the rifle was available and I could find ammo everywhere and it didn't break the bank to shoot. My dilemma now is that the Christensen won't group under 4+ inches with any factory ammo I put through it. I have been a dedicated Bergara owner and was hesitant going with a Christensen and now I am debating on if I should sell the rifle and be done with it and go back to a Bergara or get the Christensen rebarreled. Any thoughts?
Well, welcome to Christensen Arms Roulette. You have a good action. Rebarreling will cost you sub $1000. Have a competent smith blueprint that action before going to far. If it checks out it wouldn't be the first chamber job victim of Christensen Roulette. Put a Bartlein 22"-24" on it and have yourself a shooter.

my last point is this: every now and then we all come across a gun that won't shoot. Very often we get those guns from other ppl who couldn't get them to shoot either but kept that secret to themselves. It's part of the game but is not musical chairs where the last guy holding it when the music stops loses. Dont ever sell or trade a gun you know won't shoot. Fix it or disclose discount it.

They do, but I've got a Mule deer, Elk and Lion hunt starting beginning of October and last I heard their turn around time is several months right now.
If I were going on all those hunts starting in October I most certainly would not do it with this rifle. You may get it sorted out later, but you may not have time to get it shooting good before October.

Back up and think about it...if you have already made two mistakes do you really want to go for three? Worst thing any of us can do is go hunting with a rifle you don't trust.

I sold a rifle that wouldn't group MOA consistently and replaced it with the sale price with one that is Sub-MOA out of the box. Hammered a deer with it last Fall. Feels good!

4" groups with different factory ammos indicate a serious problem. If you are not really in love with this girl, just tell her the truth ("It's you, not me.") and send her down the road. Maybe someone who likes to fix things will take her in and be overjoyed to get her to shoot 1.5" groups.

Supposedly, if you bought the Christensen new, they have a 1MOA guarantee.Your story interests me because Bass Pro is advertising them in their Fall hunting sale. Some FB comments on Christensen's FB page are not complimentary about their customer service.

@ Jon,..
Most of, the "Checks" and cleanings can be done, over a couple of Days ( hopefully, the "something wrong",.. is found ).
But I agree, TIME is of, the essence !
PS; the 3 Tikka's, in my family,.. DELIVER, on Big Game and on Targets !

Any updates from the original poster? Lots of great input.
I have a few boxes of Nosler and I plan to borrow a scope to try and check that off the list. If that's not it, I plan to try without the factory brake on it. After that I will send it back to Christensen to have them check it. After that we will see.

I have a few boxes of Nosler and I plan to borrow a scope to try and check that off the list. If that's not it, I plan to try without the factory brake on it. After that I will send it back to Christensen to have them check it. After that we will see.
I have a scope I can mail you if needed that I use when working on new rifles. It's a 30mm tube. PM me if your other option does not work out.

I guess you implied the rifle was new when you bought it, but you didn't say for sure if it was used or new?

If its a new rifle with only 150 rounds through it and won't shoot better than 4" groups, its gotta be a scope issue.
Can't really be the barrel (unless its a manufacturing defect) or any type of fouling if new with only 150 rounds.

Definitely replace the scope and then see......

Send it back to Christensen, have them correct/diagnose. Once you get it back take it out and verify they fixed it...then sell it.