Rebarreling My Christensen

backyardsniper

I have a Christensen carbon classic 2 in 338 Lapua. Now I haven't 100% made a decision on this but I'm just not a fan of the carbon barrel. This is the fourth carbon barrel rifle I've owned and I haven't had a satisfactory experience so far so I'm considering just rebarreling this rifle. It seems to be a bit inconsistent with its cold bore shots. While it does seem to generally shoot around 3/4 moa and it does shoot good I have noticed some oddities. It will not print a group hardly at all at 100yds. I know, I know it sounds crazy but anyway my main question is since the rifle is already set up to be super light then why not simply have a good quality mid contour barrel spun up and screwed on it. It already has DBM, a good trigger, good action and stock. Has anyone else out there done this, and is there any peculiarities to rebarreling a carbon rifle like that?

I noticed the same thing when shooting groups at 100 if I didn't let my gun cool long enough after each shot. My Christensen was a 26 Nosler and now is a 300 WM. I tossed around the idea of a steel barrel vs a carbon fiber barrel for a while. I ended up going back with a carbon fiber proof barrel. My gunsmith said going the steel route wouldn't be and issue if i wasn't concerned about weight. Not that it will save a ton of weight but you could always have the barrel fluted if you go the steel route.

I probably will do the fluting actually. What I really want is that one that PAWATER has for sale in the classified. Man it is sweet. I've always wanted to get one of those super tacticool diamond fluted barrels. Ha ha. This is probably as good of an excuse as any.

Best thing to do, is tune your loads at the distance you plan to shoot. I've for a few rifles that are 3/4 moa @ 100y, but at 400y will shoot 2". I really like the carbon barrels for cooling aspects. My Christensen 6.5x284 heats up rather quickly compared to my proofs, but cools off a lot quicker too. Hells Canyon barrels same deal. I have a few bartlein carbons getting spun up now, well see how they do!

My Christensen barrel is a Cold bore/follow up shot rifle only. Then have to let it cool. Makes sense as it is so lightweight it wouldn't make good for a long strings. Best cold/clean bore group shot so far has been 3 shots over about 30 min. All touching, but provided a little vertical. I was letting the barrel cool about as much as I could take it before shooting again. It is a 300 RUM.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts