Sell or hold

And it seems like I always sold the ones with the most value today. So even if I don't like a firearm I will not sell it. Lesson learned
I went on a Savage 99 kick years ago and acquired several really nice examples of that rifle. A couple were near flawless mostly in 300 Savage and 250 Savage. I sold them all to buy bolt action rifles, and God knows what all else. I looked at them on Gunbroker the other day and realized just what you said.

I have a 27 year old son who's making his way in the world. Whenever he comes to visit, he goes home with a few of my collection. Since I'm 70, and purchased my "very last" firearm, I feel very good thinning the forest, and no regrets about selling something I may want later.
Looks like we are in the same frame of mind with our sons and couldn't be more happy. Except I'm not sure I've purchased my last rifle! Either way, he'll end up with the rifle. Great to have a son who loves hunting/shooting/future loading/ and firearms! Molon Labe!

Looks like we are in the same frame of mind with our sons and couldn't be more happy. Except I'm not sure I've purchased my last rifle! Either way, he'll end up with the rifle. Great to have a son who loves hunting/shooting/future loading/ and firearms! Molon Labe!
Possibly the one regret in life, not having a son. But I was raised if you can't afford them don't have them. I have 2 brothers that did the same. And a few cousins. Must have been the times. If I knew then what I know now. I may have had a football team. And adopted another dozen. Lol

Yup,. I sold, My Competition, Perazzi's ( O/U and, custom Bored, Single shot ) and Krieghoff's, after Winning Thousands of Dollars with them in,.. Reno, Vegas, Phoenix and Vandalia, Oh. WHEN,.. much Younger !
NO, regrets ! Kept a few, Bird Hunting, Skeet "Play" shotguns.
Guns, ARE,. just "Tools" to, Me !
I don't claim to be Sherlock Holmes, but I'm thinking that more than one English class was skipped to hit the skeet/trap range. 😉

And based on your winnings, maybe it was worth it. 😁

You would be surprised how cheap you can pick up a gun safe at estate sales. Just because they are such a pain to move. I could have purchased old or new safes for a couple hundred bucks each.

When the safe mover finally got my new gun safe into the basement he said, "sell this safe with the house because it sure isn't coming back out!". 🤣 🤣

Mine isn't all that big, but when we moved I had I don't know how many young men out here to put it in its final resting place. I'm pretty sure none of them will come back to move it somewhere else.

It's only hoarding if you're not going to use it. So, ask yourself, are you a hoarder?

Now define "use".
- shooting it
- memories, I built it, hunt trip, etc
- beauty, like an art collection
- bragging rights, I have more than you
- etc.

Last edited:
I have a 27 year old son who's making his way in the world. Whenever he comes to visit, he goes home with a few of my collection. Since I'm 70, and purchased my "very last" firearm, I feel very good thinning the forest, and no regrets about selling something I may want later.
I don't thin the forest. They'll go to my sons and grandchildern. The only problem is I am lefthand and they are righthanded, I had to learn how to let an action into a stock. It's not hard, but does take sometime to set it up right.

It was your choice when you sold it . Your cousin Bought it because he wanted to keep it. There should be no anger in your heart when he doesn't want to sell it. And to anyone who thinks his cousin is a asxxle is the asxole trying to put hate between family members your comment was not needed in this tread.

Anytime I sell something, even if it's to make room or something I don't shoot ever or often. I like uncommon things, so I always worry I'll regret it or if I decide I want another I won't be able to get one. And even if its semi common place like a nice older Citori I still have reservations

I have two guns right now in the safe I am not attached to and an additional two to be fixed. I have kicked around the idea to sell and have never brought myself to do it. A K15, a Citori and a silver snipe and AK to be fixed.