Sell or hold

About 20 years ago I sold my Browning pump 10ga to buy my wife a dishwasher. What was I thinking?
I guess it was worth it. I'm still married and believe it or not the dishwasher still works.
In 2000 we bought an old house and I sold most of my guns to help with the remodel costs. Kept a few to hunt with, but now I own more guns than at any time in my life, and just bought another one lol. It is habit forming. We're still married too, but we sold the house.

I have sold very few firearms over the years. But, when you run out of room in the safe, in the oversized gun cabinet and under the bed; you need to rethink a few things before buying the next rifle that you can't live without.

I don't "collect" firearms, but I've got more than any reasonable person can use/shoot. And now that I've come to the reality of the aging process, I've started to thin the herd. LOL
I have not in my mind...ever REALLY sold one... however with Canada's B.S. new gun laws I did really trade one I can't use for another I can...but just today I am having a serious conversation with myself about having to sell off part of my collection! I'm going to have a few more Rums' and see if stupidity wins over Common sense! Stupidity...keep them....Common sense....sell em and pay off the house!

I have sold very few firearms over the years. But, when you run out of room in the safe, in the oversized gun cabinet and under the bed; you need to rethink a few things before buying the next rifle that you can't live without.

I don't "collect" firearms, but I've got more than any reasonable person can use/shoot. And now that I've come to the reality of the aging process, I've started to thin the herd. LO

I don't "collect" firearms, but I've got more than any reasonable person can use/shoot. And now that I've come to the reality of the aging process, I've started to thin the herd. LOL
I'm not selling anything till I have no more room in my house. And then I'll start adding additions on.

About 20 years ago I sold my Browning pump 10ga to buy my wife a dishwasher. What was I thinking?
I guess it was worth it. I'm still married and believe it or not the dishwasher still works.
Please tell us the dishwasher was an anniversary gift...
That is a really great question!!! I have a Custom 30-06 on an FN action , Fully engraved receiver and engraving on the barrel. German Detachable Claw Mounts , and a Heinsholt scope. Griffin and Howe Oil Finish on the stock. I want to sell it because I never use it, and I really want a Dakota rifle, in 300 H and H , to also never hunt with . Based on the current cost of Dakota Rifles, what I am looking for is priced above $5000. This rifle may Bring $3500. So sell this fine rifle, add 1500 to 2000 dollars and get a different Rifle, Its not an easy decision.
How's the accuracy?

Sell and trade as needed, only messed up once when I was 25. Just after college I stumbled on an early 50's vintage Savage 99 I excellent shape I hunted with for almost three years before deciding handgun hunting and a I "needed" a Ruger 44. So I traded an almost irreplaceable gun for one that can be ordered again right now. Also I think I took that Ruger hunting twice before deciding I didn't need to make hunting public land any harder than it already was. I didn't last a year.

I got a great deal on a Colt .357 Lawman when I was 21. I was hunting with a German Mauser 8mm, and didn't know enough to make it shoot well. After missing an antelope at 300 yards, I sold the .357 and bought a used Remington 700 .270. I asked the gun dealer if I could bring it back if it didn't shoot well, and he said yes. I bought the cheapest ammo they had and went to the range. I could cover 3 shots with a nickel.

I sold the .357 to a friend at the same price I paid, with the condition if he wanted to sell it he had to sell it back to me. He sold it to someone else for a profit, and is no longer my friend.

I'm not selling anything till I have no more room in my house. And then I'll start adding additions on.
I haven't seen anyone say anything about another safe. My wife asked me what I was going to do when the safe was full and I simply told her I'd buy another safe; seems logical to me. Men and women do see things a bit differently.

I haven't seen anyone say anything about another safe. My wife asked me what I was going to do when the safe was full and I simply told her I'd buy another safe; seems logical to me. Men and women do see things a bit differently.
The house is the safe. lol
There was a small bank for sale down the road from me. I wish I would have had the money to buy it, at the time. I thought it would have been the best gun safe ever. And another advantage was you never need to mow the yard (blacktop).
The downside it sits right at a intersection & off a well traveled road. But there is a pit beef concession stand across the road. Open in the summer. And there's a ski resort fairly close, if you ski or snowboard.
They turned this bank into a coffee shop. Not sure how it's going to make out being its at the base of a mountain. Not in a city. I don't believe we have that many coffee connoisseurs in my neighborhood (rednecks). lol
I thought someone would buy it for a gun shop. We can always use another.

Last edited:
I have three safes in the house now! One in our bedroom. This Christmas I told my wife I would like another gun. Tikka UPR 6.5 prc that was on sale for Boxing Day. I told her I'm running out of room in the safes. She said life is not a dress rehearsal! You only get one shot at life so get what I want, and buy another safe if I need. The gun will be here on January 9th. Scope showed up yesterday. I too have been the about selling a few I don't use. A over/under savage .410 and maybe my beautiful ruger No. 1 45/70. After I hurt both shoulders in a fall, I don't think the old red butt pad will do me any favor. Hard choices for sure.