Sell or hold

I went through a phase about 20 years ago and got rid of ALL my Colt handguns due to their quality and strength.
The Rugers I had (still have) were built better and fit more into how hot I was reloading the ammo.
Now, every time I see a "Colt" that's for sale, I cry inside. They could have been my early retirement!

If it doesn't get shot much it's on the chopping block. I've narrowed my guns down to a handful of tools that I actually use. Exceptions are inherited guns, or ones gifted to me. Everything else better perform or it's gone 😅

And honestly only regret selling about one. Out of probably 60 or so that have come and gone.

If I were more affluent (and PATIENT) I'd probably hold onto most of them, but I have the disease where I see the next shiny thing and my fun money wouldn't permit it for a long time... So something is almost always for sale 😅

There is no right or wrong with this stuff, do what makes you happy!

I will say if it won't shoot accurately, I will not keep it. All my rifles shoot well except for one CZ in .223 that I haven't spent much time with yet, but it has the prettiest piece of wood I've ever seen on a factory rifle so, it's not going anywhere lol. I have four sons and they know when I'm gone, they get to pick the rifles like the draft picks in sports. The oldest begins the process and each pick one until they are all gone. I'm sure they will sell them all except for the youngest, he's the only left-handed one in the bunch.

Is it just me, or does everyone struggle with holding onto a rifle even though you don't shoot it much or sell it to fund the next project. Sold my first centerfire rifle because I needed some money at the time, a Win 94 30-30 and my cousin still won't sell it back to me, so for that reason I seem to hold onto them all 🤣
Well got a deal with my wife, if I want something new, I have to sell something. Although she did change that for my last birthday. Sge told me to go and buy a new rifle for my birthday. Pretty well like what I have but will probably sell off my semi-auto Shotgun and get something else. As far as your cousin, sounds like a trade is in order.

I may be the dumbest one here. I don't sell firearms or good tools🤦🏻‍♂️
Me too! I don't sell my rifles, shoguns and pistols either. I loan out 3 and never got them back. I don't loan out any anymore either. I will let somebody that is going hunting with me and doesn't have a rifle. I will allow them to use it while we are hunting, but it goes back with me. I do make sure they shoot it correctly at the range, before going hunting.

That is a really great question!!! I have a Custom 30-06 on an FN action , Fully engraved receiver and engraving on the barrel. German Detachable Claw Mounts , and a Heinsholt scope. Griffin and Howe Oil Finish on the stock. I want to sell it because I never use it, and I really want a Dakota rifle, in 300 H and H , to also never hunt with . Based on the current cost of Dakota Rifles, what I am looking for is priced above $5000. This rifle may Bring $3500. So sell this fine rifle, add 1500 to 2000 dollars and get a different Rifle, Its not an easy decision.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 44
While attempting to be more utilitarian in my firearms retention I have sold 2 guns I wish I had back. Meanwhile I keep firearms based first on accuracy and use, secondly on sentimental value (family guns stay family guns etc.) Lastly I keep very few of the "hard to replace, will increase in value, I might use it later"...of course the 2 I want back fell into this category. The 1902 vintage 1897 Win had limited uses and I needed $, The Para 14/45 limited Hicap 45 was beautiful, accurate, and fit but it hadn't gotten shot for awhile and my little family was growing... Economics aside I would prefer to retain all of them, along with musical instruments and good tools ;)

My dad was asking my brother and I why we sell guns. My dad is 100% against it, and refuses to sell a gun even though some he owns he flat out hates.

My brothers response was basically "we don't have the money to buy new guns when we have the hankering for one. So if something catches my eye, I have to sell the most boring thing in my safe. Every time you do that you lose 20% so you go backwards, but you're still in a better position than hanging on to a gun you don't like and will never use"

My dad told me when I was a young lad not to sell or get rid of any guns. I hold what he told me to this day. I have some guns that I rarely shoot. I also have 1 shotgun that I got for a Christmas gift that I have never shot. I consider my guns as investments. I will only get rid of them if I'm dead broke. I'll sell my truck and some of my other stuff before my guns.

Jason