Sell or hold

I have sold very few firearms over the years. But, when you run out of room in the safe, in the oversized gun cabinet and under the bed; you need to rethink a few things before buying the next rifle that you can't live without.

I don't "collect" firearms, but I've got more than any reasonable person can use/shoot. And now that I've come to the reality of the aging process, I've started to thin the herd. LOL
I have given a few away and don't regret it at all. And I have sold a few that I just couldn't warm up too.

I have sold very few firearms over the years. But, when you run out of room in the safe, in the oversized gun cabinet and under the bed; you need to rethink a few things before buying the next rifle that you can't live without.

I don't "collect" firearms, but I've got more than any reasonable person can use/shoot. And now that I've come to the reality of the aging process, I've started to thin the herd. LOL
The room and the required finances for the next "cartridge to rule them all" that catches your eye. Some stand in the safe, ammo and reloading parts on the shelf and I wonder why. Have a 6.5 Grendel upper that had a very bad (and embarrassing) experience with a suppressor that I ended up replacing the barrel with, yet another Grendel barrel bc I had so much invested in the round that it didn't make sense to change that upper to another chambering….save that for another riffle! Oh the struggle. Great insight everyone, appreciate the conversation

I have a few that I'll never sell. The ones I bought for my son, a couple of garands, a Daewoo, and a few handguns. All the others could go if I got tired of them or the right buyer came along looking for them. In fact, I've just gone through my gun room and plan to sell off some things I'll never get too. Mostly parts for builds that never happened, but a few guns that never really fit my needs.

I'm over it and motivated to sell unused firearms for a couple reasons.
1. I am out of room in the safe and I have a little one running around the house. So, leaving guns out of the safe is not acceptable. For me to buy another, one or two need to go.
2. There's better equipment out there nowadays. Way more expensive, but way more capable for what I want to do. Why not sell the firearms I don't use to fund the new fancy tech firearms?

The main detractor selling firearms to me….it's a PIA. Everything is against gun owners selling firearms. Lots of hoops…

Yeah getting older makes you start thinking about thinning things out a little. I have more firearms than a man could ever need but I also have a very hard time letting any of them go. I have 7-8 shotguns. Shot three shells in one of them this past weekend at some ducks and that was the first time in years that a scattergun had been out of the safe, same with handguns. I have 6-8 of those, maybe more and I never shoot handguns. Unfortunately, both my son and my grandson have gotten into trouble in their younger years with drugs and cannot own any firearms so I have no one to leave them to. The thinning needs to start or my poor wife is going to have a huge heap of stuff to try and get rid of when my time comes.

But if any of your guys have something for sale let me know I am always looking for the next one. :)

I have a personal rule that I don't sell tools or guns. I did sell a few during the 2008-2011 years to pay some bills though. I may thin some soon for some stuff I just don't shoot and the kids want to add to the safe so I need room.

Guns are investments and tools. Tools are the same and can also help earn money and save money.

I had a couple I wish I never sold
Charles Daly Drilling 12x12x38-55 (not damascus)
M1A Springfield from Devine, Texas (early one with 4 digit number)
Colt WWI and WWII 45 Commemorative (all same serial # except for the letter prefix for the Different Battles)

I definitely find it hard to part with them. I've sold plenty over the years, traded, and swapped, but when I want another, I generally buckle down and spend the money. Just bought a Ruger left-handed 10/22 because it's already threaded, and I didn't want to thread all my other rimfires for the suppressor I just bought. I probably will, but for now it was a good excuse for another rifle, and it's left-handed. Left hand rifles outside of customs have been hard to come by in the calibers I've wanted over the last few years, another reason why I find it hard to let one go.

Recent Posts