Re chamber

rharfo

Need some advice on a good smith. I just had a LR rifle built on a Defiance action in 300 Winnie. I'm not getting the speed I expected. I am thinking about rechambering to the new 30 Nosler. I need input on a smith who is hip to longer throats so I can run heavier bullets. Gun is currently throated for 215 Bergers. Gun is cerakoted. Is breaking the barrel loose gonna mark up the cerakote? Don't need input on caliber just a good smith. I don't want to send back to the builder. Thanks.

Any time you break a rifle down you run the risk of damaging the finish. Same applies to chucking a barrel up in the lathe to do chamber work/crowning,muzzle threading. A good gunsmith will do his best not to mark the finish but ...........

Well before you start something, just what speed are you getting and what did you expect?

Let's make sure you had realistic expectations.

How far are you shooting?

Have you run the ballistics between what you have and the 30 nosler to see what you might actually gain for all the money you are going to spend?

Did you know your current chamber can be lengthened with a throater?

Well before you start something, just what speed are you getting and what did you expect?

Let's make sure you had realistic expectations.

How far are you shooting?

Have you run the ballistics between what you have and the 30 nosler to see what you might actually gain for all the money you are going to spend?

Did you know your current chamber can be lengthened with a throater?
I wanted to be closer to 2900. Only shot out to 300 yards so far. Rifle was throated for the 215 per the builder. Shot a .215 group at 100 with 75.0 grains H1000. Barrel is accurate but I want 3000 fps. Nosler rep at shot show says they are easily getting 3k out of it.......my load is shooting 2753 over the magneto chrono

Last edited:
I wanted to be closer to 2900. Only shot out to 300 yards so far. Rifle was throated for the 215 per the builder. Shot a .215 group at 100 with 75.0 grains H1000. Barrel is accurate but I want 3000 fps. Nosler rep at shot show says they are easily getting 3k out of it.......my load is shooting 2753 over the magneto chrono

What length barrel?
Have you tried another powder?
There is Retumbo, RE25, MAGNUM and all sorts of powder faster in velocity than H1000.
I get 3000fps in my 30" barrel with both 210gr/215gr Bergers and 3100fps with 200gr Accubonds.
In my 28" and 26" barrels, 2900fps is achievable with the right powder. RE33 is said to work OK, I haven't tried it, but did try H50BMG, couldn't get enough in the case to achieve what I wanted.

Cheers.
gun)

What length barrel?
Have you tried another powder?
There is Retumbo, RE25, MAGNUM and all sorts of powder faster in velocity than H1000.
I get 3000fps in my 30" barrel with both 210gr/215gr Bergers and 3100fps with 200gr Accubonds.
In my 28" and 26" barrels, 2900fps is achievable with the right powder. RE33 is said to work OK, I haven't tried it, but did try H50BMG, couldn't get enough in the case to achieve what I wanted.

Cheers.
gun)

27 in barrel. Willing to try another powder as long as its temp sensitive

You could have a slow barrel. I had 2 .338 barrels the same manufacturer, length, contour,twist rate and chambered with the same reamer that shot identical ammo with a velocity difference of 140fps. The fastest barrels that I have used have been Lilja or Bartlein since they began using a Sunnen hone. Gary

You could have a slow barrel. I had 2 .338 barrels the same manufacturer, length, contour,twist rate and chambered with the same reamer that shot identical ammo with a velocity difference of 140fps. The fastest barrels that I have used have been Lilja or Bartlein since they began using a Sunnen hone. Gary

It's a Bartlein , wonder if that's the case. Also wonder if it will "speed" up. Have about 75 rounds thru it

I wouldn't touch a rifle that's shooting sub .25" groups, that's just me. It is going to mess up your cerakoting to remove the barrel.

Each rifle is unique and if you're getting less velocity than expected at a given powder weight then you're running less pressure for the most part. I know it's not always a popular position with some people, but if you've got a chronograph and carefully watch for pressure signs then it's OK to let the rifle tell you what it's max is instead of a book. I'd swap powders and tinker with charge weights before I'd go disassembling and rebuilding a good shooting rifle.

Here's a thread talking about 215 bergers and H1000, most are running stiffer charges than you.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...harge-berger-215gr-match-hybid-target-135009/

I wouldn't touch a rifle that's shooting sub .25" groups, that's just me. It is going to mess up your cerakoting to remove the barrel.

Each rifle is unique and if you're getting less velocity than expected at a given powder weight then you're running less pressure for the most part. I know it's not always a popular position with some people, but if you've got a chronograph and carefully watch for pressure signs then it's OK to let the rifle tell you what it's max is instead of a book. I'd swap powders and tinker with charge weights before I'd go disassembling and rebuilding a good shooting rifle.

Here's a thread talking about 215 bergers and H1000, most are running stiffer charges than you.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...harge-berger-215gr-match-hybid-target-135009/
Thanks!

Have about 75 rounds thru it

Put another 125 rounds through it........It should speed up after 200 - 250 rounds.

Also, any issues with copper fouling? I know of a recent incident with a Barlien barrel that was over-fouling, leading to speed issues (and probably accuracy issues, which doesnt sound like this is the case with your rifle if shooting .25 MOA). Barlien replaced the barrel under this scenario.

Put another 125 rounds through it........It should speed up after 200 - 250 rounds.

This! I gained a lot after 200 rds in my 6mm Creedmoor. I was getting upset about not getting the velocity I wanted. Never had that issue with any of my other bartleins, but this one changed dramatically after 200 rds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.