Chamber Reamers

Edd

How do you guys store your reamers and how often do you clean and lube them?

I store them in the tube they came in. They are cleaned and lubed after each use with the Ridgid Extreme cutting oil we use to cut with before they go back in the tube. Then they are all stored in plastic organizer drawers by caliber. .17, 22, 243/6mm, 257, 6.5/264, 7mm/284, and so on up through 50. Same for all the bushings. My shop is heated so never felt the need to check on them while stored. In 6 years they continue to be razor sharp and look brand new.

I do the same, keep them in the tubes they come in and in the lube that I use to chamber. I've never had one rust or had any problems storing them that way.

I store them in the tube they came in. They are cleaned and lubed after each use with the Ridgid Extreme cutting oil we use to cut with before they go back in the tube. Then they are all stored in plastic organizer drawers by caliber. .17, 22, 243/6mm, 257, 6.5/264, 7mm/284, and so on up through 50. Same for all the bushings. My shop is heated so never felt the need to check on them while stored. In 6 years they continue to be razor sharp and look brand new.

+1

Reamers should never be aloud to touch each other. If you don't have plastic tubs for all of your reamers, you can buy them from Manson reamers or other sources.

After blowing them off with air, I dip them in the same cutting oil and then place them in the tubes
then I place them in plastic storage boxes Like they use for plastic fishing worms and then put them in my tool box drawers.

You cannot be overly protective of good tools and especially good reamers.

J E CUSTOM

That is almost the way I store mine, except I've always left the bushing on them. I'm not a Gunsmith. I don't have very many reamers and don't use them, I give them to whoever is doing the work to use. I always spray them really well with something to clean and lube them, put them in their tubes and lay them in my toolbox.

The reason I asked the question is because I have new unused reamer, I've had it for a few years, that has a stuck bushing. My other reamers, including a resize reamer mate to the one with the stuck bushing, are fine. I guess I'll not leave the bushings on them in the future.

I have one reamer, that when I got it back from the guy who used it, had been dipped in a soft plastic like material. This soft coating will slide off and on the reamer easily, stays oily, and will still fit into the original plastic tube. This appears to me to be a better method. I was curious if anyone used this stuff.

You should be able to get the pilot off without ruining the reamer. If you live where the humidity is high and it's not controlled I'd probably pull the pilots off.

The stuff it's dipped in is most likely plasti-dip. A lot of the places that sharpen drill bits use that or something similar to coat the drills after sharpening. It's good to protect the sharp edges. I'm sure it's petroleum based so I doubt it would rust as long as there wasn't any moisture present when it was dipped.

I have one reamer, that when I got it back from the guy who used it, had been dipped in a soft plastic like material. This soft coating will slide off and on the reamer easily, stays oily, and will still fit into the original plastic tube. This appears to me to be a better method. I was curious if anyone used this stuff.

That stuff is called Cosmoline, and it is used by the military to store parts and mothball equipment.

It is a rust inhibiter and reamers use to come with it on them. The reamers that I have, that came with it on them still has it and I re use it on those reamers. the reamers still go in a plastic storage
and then in the tool box.

It will eventually split and then you can switch to the plastic tubes.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.