Re chamber

timmymic

I was told a 308 can be rechambered to a 6.5 creedmoor and a 7 mm mag to a 264! Is that true if so how do I o that is it just changing the barrel and calling it a day or am I missing a lot in between?!? Thanks for ur help

I was told a 308 can be rechambered to a 6.5 creedmoor and a 7 mm mag to a 264! Is that true if so how do I o that is it just changing the barrel and calling it a day or am I missing a lot in between?!? Thanks for ur help

If you mean 7 to a 264 WM, yep, just change out bbl and chamber accordingly. I don't know anything about the Creedmoor

Sorry really new at this what do u mean chamber accordingly

If you have a 7mm Rem Mag, and want to change it to a 264 Win Mag (I don't know why anyone would want to do that), then buy a new barrel, and the builder will cut, crown, and chamber the new pipe and fit it to the action. So, yes, it's that simple. Chamber accordingly, meant, to whatever you want so long as it matches the action and bolt face.

I'm going to take a guess and assume you know that in the above scenario you do need to buy a barrel that is a 6.5mm right?

I was going to get a drop in from er shaw

Before ordering a barrel, Tell us what you have (Brand of rifle, action length, existing caliber.
type of stock, ETC also the caliber you think you want and these guys will tell you all that has
to be done and some other choices that may be better and less work to install.

It is not wise to enter into a rifle build unless you know all of the aspects of the build before starting.

Just some friendly advice.

J E CUSTOM

Before ordering a barrel, Tell us what you have (Brand of rifle, action length, existing caliber.
type of stock, ETC also the caliber you think you want and these guys will tell you all that has
to be done and some other choices that may be better and less work to install.

It is not wise to enter into a rifle build unless you know all of the aspects of the build before starting.

Just some friendly advice.

J E CUSTOM

This is exactly why I love this forum!
I was thinking about buying a 308 anD turning it into a 6.5 creedmoor but now leaning toward doing the same thing but wit the savage I currently have!
It is a model 11 in 7mm-08, is this possible or a good idea?

This is exactly why I love this forum!
I was thinking about buying a 308 anD turning it into a 6.5 creedmoor but now leaning toward doing the same thing but wit the savage I currently have!
It is a model 11 in 7mm-08, is this possible or a good idea?

There are several choices for a simple barrel change (No action modifications) The 7/08 is a 308
necked down to 7mm. the 260 rem is a 308 necked down to 6.5 and the 243 is a 308 necked to 243
These are all basically spin offs of the 308 so they will all work in your action without any
modifications to it.

The 6.5 creedmoor is a good round and so is the 6.5x47 but are not the same parent case as the
308 and may not work as well unless installed by a smith.

I have built lots of the 6.5s and if you are going to do it your self I recomend the 260 rem.

All you will need is a barrel wrench for the savage barrel nut. (About $30.00) and a Head space
gauge for the 260 rem ($35.00) and a pre threaded and chambered barrel.

We can walk you through assembly if you need the help.

J E CUSTOM

Being the first time Doing it I think it would prob be a good idea just get a walk through even if it is dummy proof thanks for all the help!

If at any point you are out of your comfort zone with this project, please send it to someone who can do a professional job for you. No need in doing anything risky.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.