Re-barrel to 6.5-06?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Helo everyone,

I have a son that will be hunting his 1st season this fall. I have a deal with him that I will match his funds for a new hunting rifle. Then I got to thinking that I could have my old model 70 Win re-barreled in 6.5-06 for him. This gun has never shot better than an inch @ 100yrds, so it has been sitting in the case for years.

My questions:
Is this a good caliber for a young hunter? How long a barrel? What twist for 100grn to 130grn bullets.

I think this would get him something better than a rifle off the rack, and possibly cost less.

Any info and ideas would be great.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,
I think the 6.5-06 is too much rifle to start a young person with. You did not mention your son's age or size. For young people it is important that they NOT develop a flinch. I suggest a .243 or .260 to start with, in a rifle that fits him. I own a .260, 6.5x55 & 6.5-06, so I do have some experience.

Last edited:
He's not a big kid, but he's been shooting a 7-08 with 140's with no problem. If I stay down around the 100 ish grn bullets do you think it will be too much recoil. Can it be loaded down like a 30-06? I figured on cutting down the old stock to fit him, then when he gets older we would get a new stock for him. How long a barrel does the 6.5-06 need to be effective.

Perhaps I should just get him a 7-08. Was just looking for something niftier.

Thanks for the advice, Steve

Steve,
The 7mm-08 is a fine cartridge and if he can handle that he should be able to handle loaded down 6.5-06. To get the most out of that round later I suggest a 24" barrel. Cutting the stock to fit is very important and check the eye relief on the scope also. I don't know what nifty is anymore but the 6.5x55 is another choice. The 6.5 bullets have great BC and will make a fine LR rifle. email me at [email protected] if you have anymore questions.

I was looking at a 6.5 x '06 a few months ago and posted a question about optimum barrel length on this and other forums. Several owners suggested it would be worth getting a 26 incher if you want better long range capability.

I have tried both 24 and 26 inch barrels. Only with a very few powders was there any velocity difference. As far as a stabalizing quality, the extra 2" should not matter. But with all long range hunting there is a lot of variables.

Thank you for your info. I'll keep it a 24" barrel, the gun will be a carry gun for my boy. Although, I'm sure I will want to steal it every now and then to play with.

As his 1st rifle, is there any things you all suggest that I have done to the rifle besides the re-barreling. Meaning, I want it to be pretty accurate, but we don't want to spend the moon. We are going to use the old stock for now until he gets bigger, then we will get a good custom stock. Should the re-barreling increase the accuracy of this rifle? Or do I need to have work done on the action? etc. Any input on this would be helpful.

Thanks again, Steve

Steve

Had you though about the 260 Remingtion ?

It is a 7/08 necked down to 6.5mm and would have less recoil
than the 6.5/06.

And would be good for 500yrds +.

Loading is easy + it is a factory round (not a wildcat).

Best bullets would be 100grs to 120grs around 3000 ft/sec.

A short action and a 20" to 22" barrel in a #4 taper would
be ideal for a youngster.

Just a though
J E CUSTOM

Would it fit in the long action of the 30-06 that I am using as the donor? I assumed that I needed to build a caliber that was of the same basic size as the 30-06. I was also figuring that the added velocity of the 6.5-06 with the right bullets would be good for elk. I guess I could also stay with the 30-06 and use reduced loads until we are ready for more.

He is 12 years old by the way. Kids can't start hunting in MT until they are 12. Wish they could start earlier.

Thanks again, Steve

Steve,
The .260 would work fine in that action and that bolt if the donor rifle was a .30-06 to start with. As far as what to do to make it accurate, I kind of worry since the rifle would not shoot real well before. A good bedding job and the trigger set to 2 1/4 lbs would probably help a lot . A quality barrel and chamber job shoud give you good accuracy.

Steve,
When ordering a barrel make sure you let the seller know what size bullet you intend to shoot most of the time so you get the correct barrel twist. It makes a big difference.

Steve

The 280 rem would also work with the long action and
you could buy the remingtion managed recoil ammo until he
was older.

The 280 is an adult cartrige but with this ammo it would
give him room to grow in to it.

The 260 is better suited for a short action but will work in a
long action.

Just another though
J E CUSTOM

JE Custom,

Do you have an opinion on the .264 Win Mag? Can this be built on the 30-06 action? Does the belted case cause problems for brass life like it did in my 30-378?

Thanks, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts